“Reasonable Value, Great Location, Staff Too Nice To Be Efficient”

Tryp San Sebastian Orly Hotel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We spent 3 days here in mid-summer & were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is not a bargain but relative to rates, it was probably mid-range. Our room was clean & had a reasonable amount of room for an EU hotel. The view was superb & the location is incredible - you are right off the beach & beautiful 5 minute walk to the pinxto bars. Our check-in time took 30m+ because there was one guy on duty & he was going out of his way to be especially helpful to the couple in front of us. Wonderful if you are them, maddening if you are us. All and all, we should have done AirBnB as there are some great opportunities in this safe & friendly city, but this was a respectable alternative

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
LuisTorrico, Director General at Tryp San Sebastian Orly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Dear Jake A,
My name is Luis Torrico, and I'm general manager at Tryp San Sebastián Orly.
I would like to thank you for choosing to stay in our hotel. I am grateful to you for your comments via Tripadvisor.
I bitterly regret the inconveniences we have caused. We wish to let you know that we will be doing everything we can to resolve these matters.
I would very much wish to see you once again in the hotel, and it would give me immense pleasure to welcome you personally.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 5 July 2013

The location of the hotel is perfect. Close to the city and with amazing views of the „Playa de la Concha“.
We were really impresed by the staff friendliness, they were available at all times, which is not easy to find nowadays.
On the ground floor there is a small hall to rest with tasteful decoration and a breakfast buffet with views to the street. The breakfast was great and many-sided.
The only downside is the parking situation. Since the hotel is in the city center, you can’t park on the street. But they have a private parking with supervision. It costs 22€ per night.
I would recommend the rooms in the fifth floor. They are big and have great views of the city.
We have been here twice and would definitely come back again.

Room Tip: Definitely on the fifth floor, bigger and with great views to the city
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brenda M
LuisTorrico, Director General at Tryp San Sebastian Orly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Hello Brenda M,

We would also like to let you know that we sincerely appreciate your opinion in Tripadvisor.

Your cooperation is very important for us because our objective is to do it better each time.

We will be very pleased to welcome you back in San Sebastián in any future occassion.

Yours sincerely,

Luis Torrico - General Manager.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

The room smelled like chips and rotton veg. There was cracks in the bathroom tiles and black marks up the door frames, the location is excellent and the staff are friendly but i wouldnt choose to stay here again. There was a fire alarm while we were there and the staff were brilliant especially the lovely cleaning lady, she showed us down the back way out, there was a strong smell of electrical burning but when we got back later everything was ok. I would say its very overrated as a 4 star as we regularly stay in 4 star hotels on business and does not compare to these 2 to 3 star at best. San Sebastian is a lovely place and i would visit the city again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
LuisTorrico, Director General at Tryp San Sebastian Orly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Dear Caroline B,
I would like to introduce myself. My name is Luis Torrico and I'm General Manager at Tryp San Sebastián Orly.
Thank you for your kind comments which I shall share with my colleagues, your cooperation is very important for us because our objective is to do it better each time.
I am glad to say that the smell of electrical burning was fixed by our staff as soon as possible. It was a problem outside our facilities.
If you decide to comeback to San Sebastián it will be happy to greet you personally.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed in the Junior Suite. It was basic, unattractive and slightly dirty. We rang to order the room service (which is actually take out from the local pizza place) and the staff were too busy so said they would call back in a few minutes. Half an hour later they weren't answering the phone so I went to the desk myself. They apologised for forgetting.
Pizza was not great.
Overall, the stay was adequate for a bed to sleep in, but in no way added to the trip to Donostia.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear SydneyVanessa,
My name is Luis Torrico, and I'm general manager at Tryp San Sebastián Orly.
Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay in our hotel whilst visiting our city. I am grateful to you for your comments via Tripadvisor, as we wish very much to meet all of our customers’ expectations.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 13 June 2013

Location was one of the bests, the staff are OK to help customers. But,,,. there are some stairs to get the elevator. I was traveling with my mother who are 70's, also we carried the big baggage. They must have an elevator form the ground floor. Also, I hope they put pots and cups for all rooms.

Room Tip: There is not a pot for drink.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
LuisTorrico, Gerente at Tryp San Sebastian Orly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Hello DogwoodFlowe,

Firstly we would like to thank you for having stayed at Tryp Bilbao Arenal.

Firstly we would like to thank you for having stayed at Tryp San Sebastián Orly..

We would also like to let you know that we have installed a new lift from reception to the lift area. It's not possible to install a single lift.

Yours sincerelly,

Reviewed 11 June 2013

We had an excellent time at the Tryp Orly. The staff was very welcoming and accommodating. Our room was nice and had an excellent view. There is underground parking, though expensive, that is great convenience. It is a half-block away from the beach and walking distance to the old town.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Karen,
My name is Luis Torrico and I am the hotel manager. It was a pleasure to hear from you.Thank you for your kind comments which I shall share with my colleagues.

It would be a pleasure to see you on your next visit.
Your sincerely
Manager

Reviewed 3 June 2013

This hotel is overrated at four stars. It is more a three-star hotel, in a good location near the beach. The room was adequate and clean--nothing fancy. The bathroom was very small. There was a wall-mounted dispenser of a combination shampoo/body gel at the sink and in the shower. The AC did not work and the room was hot. I burned up the first night and opened the windows the second night. There was street noise, but the room temperature was better. The man on duty when I checked in spoke some English but didn't know how to ask me what county I lived in in the US. The cleaning lady (I guess) had written "Bienvenida a Donostia" in blue marker on the mirror, a welcoming gesture but not something I'm used to seeing in the kind of hotels I usually stay in. I would look elsewhere in San Sebastian for another hotel, even if I had to pay a little more.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Hello Mr. SeniorSolo50,

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Luis Torrico, and I'm general manager at Tryp San Sebastián Orly.
I am pleased to say that the fault affecting the air conditioning was fixed by our engineers as soon as they were notified of it.
Finally, on behalf of the whole HR team at TRYP San Sebastián Orly, I trust that this incident will in no way dissuade you from visiting our hotel again in the future, at which time I give you my personal assurance that your stay will be totally satisfactory.
Regards,