“So Pleased we chose here”

Tryp San Sebastian Orly Hotel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“So Pleased we chose here”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here last year for three nights. We loved it. We had never been to spain before and understand that san seb can be a bit expensive but we believe this hotel was worth it. It was a great location, not far from the beach and walking distance to old town where the best food/ tapas is to be found. We enjoyed staying here very much.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Manns16
LuisTorrico, Director General at Tryp San Sebastian Orly Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Hello Manns16,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay in our hotel whilst visiting our city. I am grateful to you for your comments via Tripadvisor, as we wish very much to meet all of our customers’ expectations.
I would very much wish to see you once again in the hotel, and it would give me immense pleasure to welcome you personally.
Yours sincerely

Luis Torrico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Turkish first
Alameda, California
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The hotel advertises as "climate controlled" yet with 80 F weather they won't turn on the air conditioning. I checked out after 1 night and they wouldn't refund me for the other 2 nights I'd already paid for.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

2 Thank SFBayAreaIntrepid
LuisTorrico, Director General at Tryp San Sebastian Orly Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Hello SFBayAreaIntrepid,

My name is Luis Torrico, I’m general manager at Tryp San Sebastián Orly.

I am grateful to you for your comments via tripadvisor, as we wish very much to meet all of our customers’ expectations.

I bitterly regret the inconveniences we have caused. We wish to let you know that we will be doing everything we can to resolve these matters, but, as I explained during your stay, the weather during these two days were absolutely strange in San Sebastián. The air conditioning is off in San Sebastian since early October, and that average temperatures are low in northern Spain.
At this time it is normal to switch on the heating.

Finally, I trust that this incident will in no way dissuade you from visiting our hotel again in the future, at which time I give you my personal assurance that your stay will be totally satisfactory.

Yours sincerely

Travellers are raving about these San Sebastian - Donostia hotels

Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

San Sebastián is a grand and popular place and thus prices can be high. However, the Tryp Orly represents excellent value for money; it's a proper, four star hotel with three star prices and the location is fabulous, just a stone's throw from the seafront. The bedroom was well-appointed, though the walls were a bit scuffed in places, and had a lovely sea view. The bathroom, while small, was good quality. There were free afternoon soft drinks and coffee in the foyer - a very nice touch - and the breakfast was generous and stylishly presented. This is an excellent hotel for the price and we would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Courtly
LuisTorrico, Director General at Tryp San Sebastian Orly Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Hello Courtly,

My name is Luis Torrico. I'm general manager at Tryp San Sebastián Orly.

Thank you very much Courtly! There is no better way to start the day reading these comments.

We look forward to your next visit to San Sebastián. Don´t forget to contact us in advance and we will try to give you one of our junior suites, at the top of the hotel so you can try them

Thanks!!!!

Oviedo, Spain
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This hotel is really close to the beach, and therefore is located in an excellent place to discover the old part of San Sebastian or simply walk by the seaside. Although it has been refurbished, there are still some elements which remind you that the hotel is not new (elevators); even facing the beach and by a road, rooms are quiet...except for the noise coming from other rooms, I could hear my neighbour's shower really close.
The personnel was really friendly, there is free wifi and the breakfast buffet was very excellent, one of the best I have recently seen. All this at a reasonable cost, which is always important.
On the con's side: the hotel doesn't have any kind fitness facility (just in case you can't enjoy a run by the beach because of weather) and the parking was really expensive

Room Tip: Try to get a room as high as possible, and facing the beach
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank andy_iq
LuisTorrico, Director General at Tryp San Sebastian Orly Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Hello Andy_iq:

Another pleasant comment!!!!!.

It is very important to us this gift to our daily effort.

Thank you again! You are our dream come true.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Picked this hotel due to location, reviews and availability. We were very happy with our stay from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. When we arrived the check in desk was a little overwhelmed with a number of demanding groups, but the young man at the desk was never phased and very helpful. Our room was a superior suite at the front of the hotel with great views over the beach and the old town. Room was clean and quiet. Never had a problem with anything. Had the breakfast buffet, great selection and lovely, attentive staff. Finally a big thank-you to the young man on the front desk who would always find us a glass of milk for tea in our room.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first level are smoking , all other levels are non smoking.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iamslowee
Hello Iamslowee,

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Luis Torrico. I'm am General Manager at Tryp San Sebastián Orly.

What a lovely message!!!!!

We love you so much that there are no words to describe it, just actions to prove it. We look forward to see you again.

Thanks!!!!!!

General Manager.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Staff was friendly, and a great location about a block from the beach, however room had mold and was outdated. They also don't explain not to use the stairs or you will be stuck in a hallway between floors. This happened to my husband and I when we decided to walk outside for a late dinner around 10:30pm. We went down a flight of around 6 floors only to find no doors opened on the ground floor for the lobby nor to the other hotel floors! Finally found a single door that was open to the street- but first we had to figure out how to open a huge complicated gate. It was a bit scary. We later found out that some of floors are condos and that this is done for safety. They should tell their guests not to use the stairs to avoid what happened to us!

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view if available. Don't use the stairs! (See above)
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gina1559
LuisTorrico, Director General at Tryp San Sebastian Orly Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Hello Gina 1559,

Thanks for your comments, which help us to improve every day.
We are glad that the staff were to your liking. Will let you know my colleges.
As you say it is better to use the elevators to the stairs, as the hotel starts from the 8th floor.
So we have the best views of San Sebastian!.
I regret any inconvenience this may have cause you. We will be more vigilant in reception.
Best regards and hope to see you again here.
Thank you!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 September 2013

This hotel is in a great central location, a short walk to everywhere. The staff are friendly & helpful. The breakfasts have a great variety of choices.
We had booked a Premium Sea View Room 8 months ago via a travel agent, Totally Spain, and had paid in full 3 months ago. The room advertised and pictured on the internet is a spacious room with 2 double windows facing a fabulous view of the Playa de la Concha. On arrival we asked about the possibility of upgrading to a Junior Suite and were told the hotel was fully booked and that we had a lovely room. What we got was not my idea of a lovely room, we had a very pokey corner room with one window overlooking part of the sea, nothing like the internet advertised "Premium Sea View Room". We could take turns looking at the view and once our bags were in the room it was a very cramped space. This was our last stop in Spain and by this time we had realised that most of the rooms booked by Totally Spain were usually the least impressive hotel room in the price bracket we had paid, even though we had upgraded to better quality rooms and booked and paid months in advance.
On checkout I was asked to pay for my upgrade - that was quickly sorted out as already being paid. But after that I did inform the reception that I thought our room was falsely classified and charged as a Premium Sea View room as it was too cramped and had only limited views and in my opinion therefore falsely advertised. He said it was all that was available at the time of booking. This was rubbish - we booked 8 months prior & paid in full 3 months prior & a number of similar rooms were still available on the internet right up until our stay.
The corner rooms are numbers 01; 06; 09 & 15 - avoid at all costs!!!!
Looking forward to your reply Luis

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Holidaybell
Hello Holidaybell,
It is a real pleasure to answer your comments and also your customers´comments
We cannot forget we exist because of you. We are glad that you enjoyed our breakfast and service.
We would like to know anything else about the bedroom you stayed, because all our Premium Vista´s room have a beautiful view of the Concha´s beach. We apologize if we made some mistake.
If it happens that you come again, we will offer you one better bedroom and we will serve you as you deserve.
We regret any inconvenience caused and we are here to help you.
All the best,