“Room with a view”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Tampere, Finland
“Room with a view”
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

If you see the hotel only from outside you would never take a room in this hotel. BUT sometimes it is good to look a bit deeper; location is great, room (at least 406) was better than ok, view was fantastic, and the breakfast was smallish but good and sufficient. Parking underground was a plus in that location.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
LuisTorrico, Director General at Tryp San Sebastian Orly Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Hello Kary A.,

My name is Luis Torrico and I am the hotel manager. It was a pleasure to hear from you.Thank you for your kind comments which I shall share with my colleagues.

It would be a pleasure to see you on your next visit.
Your sincerely

Luis Torrico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Turkish first
Surrey U.K.
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We arrived in San Sebastian without any hotel booking as we were on a road trip through France and Spain. Looked online at a few hotels when arrived and 1st choice was fully booked. Asking the Tryp if they had any rooms with a nice view, he smiled and said we certainly have. The view from the room was absolutely amazing, my pictures do not do it justice. We had two balconies and such an amazing view. The room wasn't 5* but the view definitely was. Breakfast was good and there was also parking underground, although you had to pay for this which isn't unusual in a city. The Tryp was in a perfect position for walking to all the fantastic Pintxos restaurants which were amazing.

Room Tip: If you can afford to get the suite right on the corner at the top, its well worth the extra money...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Lynda&Gary,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay in our hotel whilst visiting our city. I am grateful to you for your comments via Tripadvisor, as we wish very much to meet all of our customers’ expectations

I would very much wish to see you once again in the hotel, and it would give me immense pleasure to welcome you personally.
Yours sincerely

Vancouver
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I booked a 4 night stay through expedia at the Tryp Orly hotel recently for my honeymoon for my wife and I. Unfortunatly my mother whom was supposed to take care of our 11month old son during this time fell ill so we had to bring him along. Due to this our next set of plans had to change.I let the lady at the front desk know this and asked if it was possible to cancel the last night of my booking as we had to leave earlier to catch an early flight to different location. She assured me this would not be a problem and just to let her know. I checked flights and hotels for the next location and i was able to obtain some last min. I saw her again before booking the flights as I wanted to ensure it was still possible to cancel the last night. She assured me again that this wasn't a problem. So i booked the next set of flights and hotel.

I went the day before i was supposed to check out to make sure again (THIRD TIME NOW) that everything was processed. She wasnt there but her co-workers were at the desk, a bald man with glasses. I mentioned the room and he abruptly shook his head and said no cancellation, i explained that he was mistaken and that i had spoken to his co worker and to give her a call. I told him that i had booked my flights and hotel based on the infomation i had gotten from her. He refused to call her and said "too bad" no cancellation in an extremely rude manner with absolutley no customer service what so ever. He wouldnt even have a conversation about it. I of course became mad as I had just booked my flights and couldnt not cancel them now, a verbal argument followed at which point another co worker - the bellhop - tries to fight me while I am holding my 11 month son in my arms (SERIOUSLY!!!) I tell them to call the police but they do not.

I left anyways but I can tell you that I will never stay at a TRYP hotel chain again and i will tell every famliy member, friend or aquitance the same. Hands down the worst hotel i have ever stayed at. I am sure the GM Luis will follow this review with his generic copy and paste reply as he has done for all previous reviews. Besides the location (which is good) , the hotel rooms are extremely small, the hotel is need of extreme renos (paint flaking off, baseboards and railings missing etc)...... Avoid if you can!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Frank T
LuisTorrico, Director General at Tryp San Sebastian Orly Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Mr. Frank T.

I am Luis Torrico, the General Manager of the Tryp Hotel in San Sebastian.

Firstly I would like to express our regret not being able to satisfy your expectations and that your stay in our hotel was not pleasant. Every employee in this hotel is working daily with the solely aim of making an enjoyable stay for all our clients.

Concerning your reservation problems, as stated in the hotel, you confirmed and booked this in Expedia, prepaid and with no refund conditions. We are not in the position to cancel it or refund it. It should be Expedia your first contact for these issues.

With regard to the other comments I would like to point out that we all need to follow basic behaviour rules, which as you might remember, wasn't the case. Independently of our efforts to offer a good service, we can not accept certain conducts.

We regret again the inconveniences and I am at your disposal for further clarification.

Best regards,

Director (General Manager)

Travellers are raving about these San Sebastian - Donostia hotels

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Great hotel, great location, clean. The lobby was very nice. The rooms were of decent size and very clean and updated. The location is just across the street from the beach and a short, short walk to the town centre.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
LuisTorrico, Director General at Tryp San Sebastian Orly Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Hello Lindsey G,

Thank you for your excellent rating!!!

We hope you visit us again soon, and this time instead of working you could be able to live the city to the fullest with your family and/or friends

Regards,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Location is the best part apart of this hotel but the street noise was quite loud late at night. The hotel lacks life but has nothing really wrong with it. It felt like we were checking into a public library.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Rohfenton
Hello Rohfenton,

Every comment we receive is invaluable for us and I would like to tell you that all the reviews are considered and studyed by our Guest Experience and Operations department.

Thanks!!!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights on a mini-tour of Northern Spain. The hotel is less than 100m from the promenade and beach and approx 10 mins walk to the old town. We paid extra for a sea view - which means a higher floor - but it was well worth it to open the curtains on the morning and admire the view. We found it a bit strange that a hotel of this quality did not have a bar or a restaurant and the breakfast - while good - was a bit like a Holiday Inn Express! On arrival we were given a list of tapas bars which they recommended and the ones we tried were excellent.

• Stayed April 2014
LuisTorrico, Director General at Tryp San Sebastian Orly Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Hello Dbyu,

These comments encourage us to continue carrying out our daily work and provide our passionate travelers visiting the city, unforgettable experiences.

Our bar is being renovated at the moment and will be ready soon.

Thanks!!!!

ireland
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Well located, close to beach and old town. Hotel does not deserve 4 stars, not even 3. Reception staff were friendly and helpful but hotel was so disappointing. First of all it only has hotel rooms on a few floors of a building much in need of refurbishment, concrete and characterless. The elevator was tiny, there was no bar, no room service except a pizza take-away card. The breakfast area made for a crowding around food area. Breakfast items were dried-up by heat from a toaster which stayed heated all of breakfast duration. All in all very poor value, would not recommend under any circumstance.

Room Tip: Just don't go there!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
LuisTorrico, Director General at Tryp San Sebastian Orly Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hello Greenbid,

We are sorry that your perception has been negative this time and we would like to tell you that we work every day to maintain a spirit of teamwork and always give a close traetment to our passionate travelers.

Thanks for your comments.