“Amazing Food & Service!”
Review of Zelai Txiki

Zelai Txiki
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

This was the second time I’ve been to this restaurant. 1st for my Mother’s wedding last year & 2nd time with my Husband for dinner 1 year later! Served by the same waiter both times who is incredible at his job! - I’m sorry I don’t know your name! And he remembered us! I’m gluten & dairy free & he goes the extra mile to cater for me, nothing is ever an issue. The food is to die for but the service is really what makes this placethanks again!

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed 20 August 2018

We had a great family lunch seating by the terrace. Very fresh and tasty food, without any unnecessary sophistication. The service was friendly but a little slow. It takes a little time to get there on foot form the center, but a taxi will not cost you much. In any case we went and came back on foot.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

I went there with my wife for our wedding anniversary. Eva, the owner, was so receptive throughout the reservation process (table selection, cake, etc.), she even agreed to squeeze in a table outside although the restaurant was fully booked.

Moving to the dinner, it was simply perfect - food, wine, service, view and ambiance. We ordered 3 starters, all mouth watering (octopus salad, mushroom w/ truffle, and one more). As to the main, we ordered the lamb and fish - hake; again both delicious. We closed w/ a vasco cake which was amazing.

What is noteworthy is the way the mains were presented. Ahmed (one of the best waiters I have ever been served by) was so kind to offer each in 2 seperate plates for both of us to enjoy the experience.

And last, the price! I can say it's w/o any hesitation the best value for money experience!

It is highly recommended!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

Came here on recommendation of hotel, which probably should’ve been a clue. Lobster salad is very good, best item on the menu. Hake was average, vegetables had no flavor. Cheesecake excellent. Service very rushed, and no one is knowledgeable about the wine list. Nice terrace. There are so many amazing pintxos bars in Parte Vieja, better off sticking with those if you don’t have reservations at one of the better restaurants.

Date of visit: July 2018
2  Thank MaryStanford
Reviewed 4 July 2018

We (family of 5 adults) went on Monday, when restaurant open for lunch only. We were seated at the terrace with the magnificent view. And although the kitchen open until 3:15 pm during lunch, when we were done with deserts, it was well past 4:00 p.m and we never felt being rushed. Our server was very knowledgeable, explaining every item on the menu ( which was quite extensive) , getting into the detailed ingredients and the way of food preparation. He made a small mistake ( continue reading) and that's why I deducted 1 point from my review.

We have ordered 3 appetizers to share and main course for everyone. My main ( fillet of cod) was too salty for my liking. Server was apologetic for not advising ahead of time, that this cod dish, made from fresh fish, traditionally, being over salted, before grilling. My main was replaced without hesitation very promptly.

Everyone enjoyed appetizers and mains. Even though portions are small, we were very satisfied with food quality and presentation. For deserts we ordered traditional pastel vasco and panchineta , prepared according with Basque Country Spanish and French influences. The French one was voted the best by our group, although we finished both without hesitation.

Bill for food, pitcher of sangria (it was pretty hot afternoon and we didn't feel ordering wine and coffee), bottled water, service and taxes arrived just under EUR 200 , which is quite reasonable, given the food, excellent view and fine dining service. Can easy recommend this place, just do not forget to mention your food preferences.

Date of visit: July 2018