“A fair clean pension”

Pension Donostiarra
Chartres, France
“A fair clean pension”
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We spend almost a month at that pension and for 50E/day for double room it is good. It is incredible clean, with room cleaning every day and a set of clean towels every 2-3 days. We had a room at the corner of the "peatonal" street and main avenue and it was perfect, not very big but ok. The only disadvantage, the is no fridge in the room. The staff was very very helpful even though not all of them speak english.

Room Tip: The elevator is "hidden" behind an old wooden door
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2012

excellent staff could not be more helpful. room was very clean.must remember reception ris on the first floor.

Room Tip: room 4 round the back very quiet away from traffic.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris B
Carmel Valley, California
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We have been staying here for seven years. The staff is great....very helpful and friendly. The rooms are simple, but super clean. Most rooms are right above the street in stylish San Martin....so you can get avenue noise. We prefer to think of it as romantic, but if you hate noise, there are rooms on the interior.

We love the location near the cathedral, a block from the river, and a short stroll into the Parte Vieja....which means a stroll away from the drunks and the college kids carrying on. The best coffee/bakery on the planet (Barrenetxe) is a two minute walk to start your day.

Room Tip: #5 has a large bathtub and is just interior, so quieter.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Overpriced - Ugly - Noisy - old used furniture - small room

For a broken traveler its could be OK if you negociate the price. They asked us e87 for the night, a rip-off for this place

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cp-en-voyage

Travellers are raving about these San Sebastian - Donostia hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2010

The location for the pension is fantastic. We were a 10 minute walk away from the Old Town etc. My husband and I went to San Sebastien for a short honeymoon and were on a tight budget. As our honeymoon overlapped with an annual festival in San Sebastian we weren't exactly spoilt for choice in terms of accommodation. This place was reccomended by Bella Artes (which was full). Although it was our honeymoon, we really didn't have high expectations. We were in San Sebastian to enjoy the great food and all I really wanted was a clean place to stay. At least we got that. The room we were in was spotless and the bathroom was also very clean. The towels were perfectly white and seemed to be new. There was airconditioning in the room which we didn't really need. In fact when we did feel warm, we would turn it on only to tun it back off because it would cool the room down very quickly. Yes, the walls are slightly garish but I guess everyone has different tastes. OK- now the down sides- considering the festival season was on, perhaps a room with a proper external window would have been too noisy. We had a room with a window that faced an atrium or something. So the room was not bright. This is a minor complaint. What I eventually found difficult was the fact that I could hear absolutely everything from the room next door...including what goes on in a bathroom (not pleasant). I dealt with it by asking our neighbour to keep it down when it got too loud and that seemed to work fine because they were nice enough people. So I guess it wasn't a dream honeymoon suite but it served a purpose. I'm not sure if Spain generally has a problem with sound insulation as I stayed in a lovely, stylish hotel in Bilbao and the sound insulation there was only a little better. If you have no choice, Donostiarra is ok but don't go there with any expectations! Perhaps it's fine for 1-2 nights max. Also- some knowledge of basic Spanish would help as the staff don't speak English. They were pleasant enough and quite helpful in giving us directions etc.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 25 July 2008

When your instinct tells you "No" but the rest of San Sebastian is booked to the hilt because of a Jazz Festival then needs must, but frankly never again when it comes to this pension.

When I called to make the booking the receptionist was honest about the choice of rooms in that those overlooking the street C/San Martin would be noisy so my boyfriend and I went for one with a window to an internal patio and would be paying 87 Euros for the privilege. As the previous reviewer mentions so far so good in terms of price/location but that´s where the positives end.

The Pension is dingy, with the internal corridors painted a garish shade of purple and our room an hallucination-inducing lime green with one narrow window providing the only natural light. The receptionist had barely left the room when we looked at each other and decided on the spot we couldn´t stay here. We dropped our bags and sat on the bed to surf the net and try to find an alternative, no luck so we went out to walk the local streets and see if anywhere else was available. On the way out I asked about the cancellation policy, the receptionist immediately became very rude which only decided us that we couldn´t stay. Luckily we managed to find somewhere else and came back to the room within an hour at around 4pm. Even though the room was clearly still in its original condition and could easily have been let to someone else they insisted they would charge us for one night penalty fee for changing the booking and the first night of our stay because we had sat on the bed essentially.

Rather than waste another night´s money we stayed and in the morning had a similarly unpleasant scene with another employee who couldn´t get their credit card machine to work and insisted I go out to get cash. She then became aggressive when my boyfriend wanted to take our bags out to wait for me in the corridor and tried to insist that she keep all our belongings at reception until we had paid. I bit my tongue rather than explain that we just wanted to get out of the place ASAP and not spoil our trip to San Sebastian any further...

In retropspect, the place itself is fine if you´re on a budget and have low expectations but if you´re looking for a relaxing holiday in agreeable surroundings with pleasant staff you will not get that here.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The staff, the rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Transl8r
Lodi, California
Reviewed 21 July 2008

We booked a room here due to the proximity to the beach. It was really close and reasonably priced at the time. I should have known! When we arrived, the owner almost gave our room away even though I notified her more than once we were going to come in late. The room was so small. We could not put our suitcase on the floor (the only real option) and walk around that and the bed at the same time. One day while we were out at the beach, I ran back to the room and maintenance people were in our room, working on the AC, and they took out chunks of the wall and left these holes in it until we departed. The whole experience was bizarre.

On top of it, our trip was delayed due to the untimely death of my grandmother and she did not waive the cancelation fee even though I fully rescheduled the trip and gave her over 48 hours notice. Of course she told me she would, but dinged me after we were gone.

When I read about it, it said 3 stars, but no way. It's clean and close, but THAT'S IT!

• Liked — Proximity to the beach
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank BasqueChica