“Nice suprise”

NH Canciller Ayala Vitoria
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Vitoria-Gasteiz
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We booked this hotel following our excellent experience with a NH hotel in Barcelona. This was nothing like the same standard, which having read the reviews I wasn't expecting. However, overall I was very pleasantly suprised. The public areas are looking a little old, but the room was excellent - clean, spacious and comfortable. despite being on the main road and a wedding going full scale in the ballroom, it was quiet (room 414). One slight problem - there was no headboard on the bed, & when my wife sat on the bed & rested against the wall, the bed shot across the room! We tried to find a restaurant in the city to eat, but without much luck, so returned to the hotel. Unfortunately, there was only one other small party in the restaurant, so it was rather quiet. The decor was nice ( a bit modern so not exactly cosy, but well presented all the same). There was a fixed menu - 3 couses including wine, bottled water & coffee for €22. Some items were off, but there was still a reasonable choice, & the food was excellent & served at a good pace.

Just a couple of small complaints: the parking is very limited, and because of the wedding, not available for our stay. As it was a weekend we parked on the raod & there is a multi storey nearby. The hotel seems to be in quite a good area, so no worries.

Secondly, there are only 2 small lifts. Most of the time that was OK, but there was a coachload of pensioners staying, so at peak times it was a bit of a scrum.

However, overall this was a really nice stay

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels
Gema G, Director General at NH Canciller Ayala Vitoria, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you so much for letting us your opinion. We are delighted that you have felt comfortable. The lifts are old and slow but if all goes well this year we proceed to its renewal. Your opinions help us improve, Yours faithfully

Write a ReviewReviews (1,641)

Reviewed 2 January 2014

This hotel is good.
Has a nice service, and it is the best room i have ever booked....
The breakfast not that good, we would like all kinds of foods in breakfast, not just EU foods, But that is good at all.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels
Reviewed 3 October 2013

When I was going to reserve a hotel in Vitoria through Expedia, the hotel seemed good on a guide book was fully occupied. Then I chose this hotel, though it wasn't on the guide book. The conclusive factor was the location. It was located faced to Parque de la Florida and not so far from the station. My sister and his husband who live in Vitoria came to see me at the hotel in Bilbao by his car and we came to Vitoria and checked in. I felt this hotel was more excellent than I expected. I put my luggages in my room, and we went to the station on foot to buy my train ticket to Bordeaux for tomorrow. They guided whole city including their house and took me to the reserved restaurant for dinner. When I came back to the hotel, it past midnight. I asked a wake-up call at 6.30 a.m. I was going to arrange document and cloths necessary for today, but I couldn't put on the room light, though I tried on-off of every switch beside beds and foot switch of the floor stand. Then, I moved my luggages to a bath room and I did. After that, I took breakfast, checked out at 8.30 and took 9.02 train to San Sebastian.
The room was No.1013, the highest floor and got a fine view of Florida park. If I checked all switches in daytime, there may not be such trouble.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Phoned and booked on a Saturdat night, got a good deal even though a busy weekend because of their medieval fair. Could not park in the hotel but safe underground parking nearby for about 14 euros. Room very clean and quiet on the eighth floor. Free wifi!!!!! at last, but a bit slow. Walked into town and struggled to find somewhere to eat as town was so busy and everyone drinking but no one eating!!!, at last we found a great Italian, near the hotel called Pizzeria Dolomiti which was excellent. Loved the atmospere in town but especially loved the dancing in the park across the road by the bandstand. It was packed with elderly people, and some not so elderly, boogying to live music!!!! They were all dressed up and there were crowds watching the action too. Delightful spectator sport for us!!! We wont have breakfast in the hotel but will stroll over to the park and eat there, as recommended in another review. We will be back to Vitoria Gasteiz,

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2013

This is a modern 4 star hotel in a good position by a small park and on the edge of the old town. Our room was large and comfortable with a great view looking at the new cathedral and spires of other older churches. The bathroom was modern with everything we needed. We didn’t eat breakfast here we usually visited a kiosk in the park for coffee and toast but there are numerous cafes to eat and drink in nearby. Also the price was excellent.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I am not vindictive, nor do I enjoy negativity, but there is no way that this hotel should retain its four-star rating. We were angry that a request for the manager to complain at the disgraceful food in the restaurant should be met with 'he is not here' and a form to fill in to lodge the complaint. Every hotel has management on duty, but on this occasion the responsible person did not want to hear complaints. Unprofessional.
Downgrade it to two-star? That would be unfair and penal; perhaps three but certainly not four. This is a major group but it was the first time we'd used NH - and the last. The hotel is soulless and totally bereft of ambience. We had a suite on the 10th floor, which was actually two smallish rooms, one with a settee, coffee table and TV (no room for anything else) and the settee fabric was badly stained. The curtains were actually hanging off the hooks. The bedroom was larger and we had no complaints about the over-large double bed.
The bathroom was clean and well-equipped, but the much vaunted terrace with the views over the city was indeed there, but without anything to sit on. We were there in August when the weather was good, so a lounger or two would have been useful. But the terrace was tired, dirty (cigarette ends) and separated from the next-door terrace by a badly cracked opaque glass divider.We had constant noise from the elevator.
We chose to eat in the hotel as towards the end of August most of the restaurants in the city are closed for holidays. It was not until we got into the restaurant that we discovered that dinner was going to be a buffet - we hate buffets, but there was no choice and it was 9.00 p.m. before the restaurant even opened so it was too late to look for somewhere outside.
The food was abysmal; some of the salad bar content clearly came from tins, the only hot dishes were squid or hamburger patties on oily potatoes. It was only 17 euros, which should have warned us, but providing food down to a price rather than up to a quality is a poor management decision.
As we said, we asked for a manager, but frustratingly met a brick wall; which is one of the principal benefits of Tripadvisor - we can respond to shoddy service and poor management.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else