“Very tasty:)”

Restaurante Matxete
Price range: US$34 - US$56
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Restaurant strategically situated in the heart of The Vitoria Medieval. Its quality cuisine-specialising in grilled meats and fish, as well as seasonal produce. It has a terrace in an incomparable setting.
Wroclaw, Poland
“Very tasty:)”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

You can find there very delicious food and very good vines. I had a fish there which was very well done - soft and tasty. My frinds had another fish (turbot), in menu it was called potrion for two but in my opinion and they can confirn it this portion was not for two at all - even for one person it could be too small:-)
Apart from that I like this place:-)

• Visited October 2013

Greer, South Carolina
“Sensational steak in Vitoria”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

In a city with so many great restaurants this is a sensational option. I have been to Vitoria five five or six times and despite having a few favorites I try and explore the other options. After having a wonderful meal here and I very glad that I went exploring.

The restaurant is in a nice area and not hard to get to but you would be unlikely to stumble in based on the outside appearance. Not bad mind you but nothing screams great restaurant inside. They are not much on advertising, no menu outside, no hours posted, but perhaps they do not need to worry as the word of mouth has to be excellent.

They do not open until 8:30 so I passed my 45 minute wait on the terrace with a beer (or two). The beer was inexpensive and cold and the plaza Aihotz is a nice place to relax.

I had a half order of cured Iberian meats as a starter along with bread and both were very nice. They were made nicer when accompanied by a sip of the Izadi Crianza 2007 Rioja wine I ordered. This I highly recommend and I will say that the Matxete has a very nice wine list with many very affordable but still excellent wines.

I ordered the big steak at the top of the meat listing and what I got was a huge steak. Perhaps 1.5 inches think and eight inches across. A lot of people would not finish a steak this size but as it was so delicious it was not a problem. I ordered medium and I got medium. I may try medium rare next time as I often find this quality of beef even better when cooked less. The steak came with French fries and a few pieces of cooked red pepper. Perhaps as much for color on the plate as for food but this too was tasty.

I finished my meal with a nice little cheese plate.

Treat yourself to a meal at Asador Matxete Erretegia, I am sure you will enjoy it.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Jackinbama
Toronto, Canada
“Delicious meat and good wine”
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Aitor D told me about this place. Since it was right behind our pension, we ate there the first evening. Business was busy but the waitresses still managed to serve everyone in a timely manner. Our steaks were delicious!

To find this place, go up the stairs past the Church of San Vicente Martir and look to the right. Here's the website:

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Gigis_mum
Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain
“Traditional food in the historical center”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

This is a good place to taste Basque Traditional Quality food inside an old building with a high standard service and right in the Historical Center of Vitoria

3 Thank AitorDelgado
Boise
“Excellent basque food at a reasonable price”
Reviewed 19 January 2009

If you are looking for good, no-nonsense Basque food, this is a great alternative. Food is not fancy, but good quality and very well prepared. I cannot get the grilled monkfish out of my mind.

2 Thank spanish2