We chose the Hotel Horizonte [HH], based on Tripadvisor reports, primarily for its location, and we were not disappointed. Sitting high on a hill above the commercial port of Palma, our 6th floor room with a double aspect balcony, provided a 270 degree panoramic view across the bay to Palma’s splendid cathedral, as well as giving us a bird’s eye view of the cruise liners arriving and departing: sometimes as many as 5 a day.
On arrival, late at night, we received a very friendly welcome from Tao. The light switch inside the doorway of our room did not work but after reporting it to Tao, it was fixed by 10 am the following morning. Superb service. Our request that our TV be re-tuned (from German to English) was not so very promptly dealt with, but we were compensated for the 24 hour delay with complimentary drinks. In any establishment there will be faults but it is how they are dealt with that matters and here HH came up trumps, so a special thank you to Eduardo and Maria on reception.
We had tried to book a junior suite but the website did not offer that option for our dates, however we were able to switch to one the day after our arrival. A much bigger room (although the previous, sea-view room had not been small) with a vast (and more comfortable) bed and a more spacious bathroom, which had a bidet as well as a whirl pool bath, with overhead shower. The TV was now a flat screen one, although, oddly, the junior suite room did not have a trouser press, as our previous room had. We were fine without one.
Our room and bathroom were spotlessly clean and were serviced daily with towels and bed linen being changed more frequently than we would have asked for (on environmental grounds). There was hot water available at all times. Everywhere was very clean and the vast majority of the staff were friendly and very helpful. Twice in the dining room, one of the chefs who was cooking on the grill arranged for something different to be cooked for me since, as a non meat eater, my choice of main course on two of our nine nights was fairly minimal. In general however, there was a good choice of main dishes with a variety of vegetables and salads available every night. Likewise at breakfast, there was an excellent range of food to suit British and Continental tastes, although the “orange juice” had a very sweet, synthetic taste. The dining room has a variety of table sizes, some capable of seating up to 10 people. There was also an outdoor area which was very popular but contained only 9 tables. While the waiting staff were very friendly, sometimes they could have cleared away ‘dirty’ dishes and re-set tables more quickly.
Tony, the very friendly and knowledgeable ‘pool’ barman explained why the bar did not stock port (due mainly to the high temperature – it was over 30C in early October) but said he would order a bottle for us, which duly arrived the following day. How many non-luxury hotels would offer such a service? The pool itself is large, surrounded by about 40 sun loungers, but there were no parasols in sight. Without them, sunbathing in mid-summer would have to be brief.
We did not like the somehow tasteless, beer served in HH, but, If you turn left out of the hotel, walk 70 yards you come to a set of (100+) steps, at the bottom, turn right and follow the road till a left hand junction; take that road downhill and you will come to “Cafe Noray” on the right hand corner. It has tables outside (on the pavement) is very popular with locals (always a good sign) and serves delicious food and coffee, as well as really cold San Miguel beer. Do visit it, for an authentic ‘feel’ of Palma. The 100+ steps can be avoided by turning sharp right outside the hotel and following the road as it bends to the right at the bottom.
A minor inconvenience in the hotel was that one could not run a ‘tab’ by charging drinks to one’s room account. All drinks must be paid for at the time of consumption, rather than at the end of one’s stay, via a debit or credit card; so ensure that you have sufficient Euros. There is a very handy ATM immediately outside the hotel – to the right of the entrance.
Finally, if you are tempted to pay to go on the red Palma Sight-Seeing bus tour, think again, as frankly, the cathedral and Bellver castle apart ,there is precious little to see and, at 35 Euros for two, isn’t cheap. So little indeed that the bus makes a sizeable loop/ detour to go past Mallorca’s “biggest indoor shopping centre”, but since all of it is underground, there was no way to gauge the size of it and nothing to actually “see”. The audio commentary is provided by a man whose native language is not English (Why?) who pronounced “iron” as “eye-ron” and “exhibition” as “eggsibition” and whose diction generally made one wince. Passing a statue of someone, he referred to her as “devote” when he meant “devout”.
We are planning to return to HH (and to Cafe Noray) and will definitely stay in a junior suite again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Horizonte Free Wi-Fi *** . is a family run Hotel up a hill in Palma managed by brothers Marga and Andreu . We are not the best Hotel in Palma but we work always to improve things day by day . let,s meet ! We offer stunning views of Palma Bay as you can read in TA thats why we always recomend to book our superior rooms with sea view in stead of cheaper ones standard No sea view ( it is really worthy ) Close to the Puerto de Palma Harbour. It features an outdoor pool and rooms with balconies, 2,5 km from central Palma cathedral .All air-conditioned accommodation at the Horizonte has simple, bright décor. Each room comes with satellite TV and private bathroom.The hotel has a buffet restaurant which serves a selection of Mediterranean cuisine and features a terrace, offering Mediterranean Sea views. . The nearest beach is Playa Cala Mayor Beach,2,5 km from the hotel and Palma’s old town can be reached in 20 minutes, by bus. You can find the Porto Pí Shopping Center and Mallorca Casino in a short walk , Pacha Dico . The city’s airport is just 9 km away and the port is a 10-minute walk from the Horizonte. We recomend to use the public bus 46 at 40 mts of the door or use the taxi because of the If any doubts we always recomend you to contact us before you buy your holidays so no surprises will appear in future . We will be glad to answer you all doubts . Be happy Amic ! Marga and Andreu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Easy Market Spa, Booking.com, Stayforlong S.L., LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Amic Horizonte reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Horizonte Hotel Palma De Mallorca
- Hotel Amic Horizonte Palma De Mallorca, Majorca