“Comfortable, Functional base for a couple of days in Palma”
Review of Melia Palas Atenea

Melia Palas Atenea
Ranked #24 of 74 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
GreenLeadersSilver level
UK
“Comfortable, Functional base for a couple of days in Palma”
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Booked the Melia Palas Atenea on the back of some reasonable TripAdvisor reviews which after staying were an accurate reflection/average of experiences. We had a few issues but nothing that the management were not able to resolve. Our first room (rear facing, no view of note but we had not specified front) had a broken safe which they were not able to fix so were moved to a different but gain rear facing room. The new room had a broken hairdryer which looked a little unsafe but we had brought our own travel unit anyway. A spacious bathroom with bidet but layout meant it was an awkward fit on toilet if tall or wide ;-) A little mould on the tile grout in the shower but not worth moving room, again.

Both the lobby bar and the terrace bar were sociable with good service and served large measures – beware, in a good way!
Excellent buffet breakfast choice but for a large hotel was understaffed to cope on the Friday by waiting staff to clean/prepare tables - not a big issue and was totally different on the Saturday with plenty of staff. Decent coffee.

Would recommend you request front facing room/harbour view to maximise experience if staying for any duration but is of little consequence if, like us, here to experience Palma without being impacted by the ‘burn me now’ beach based sun seekers. We were here to enjoy the city and recommend the 24hr pass hop on/off tour bus to get about the city as driving/parking brings its own adventures. There is a stop across the rod from the hotel. There is another Melia Hotel (Victoria) just along the road (possibly a star higher, so if using a taxi ensure you request the right one!

Room Tip: Ask for harbour view (when booking not once there or may be disappointed) or at least not rear. Refu...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Dear Brooska,

I would like to thank you for your comments about your room change due to the safe box. We are working to prevent this situation in the future.
We apreciate your possitive comments about the Blue Lounge Bar and the terrace. We work hard to make you feel very well.The breakfast buffet is one of the best valued by our guests.

The Hotel is very well connected. At the center, our guests can go for a walk. Also there are bus stop near to the Hotel.

Hoping we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again at our Hotel in the future.

Guest Experience Manager- Meliá Palas Atenea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
glasgow
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Great stay at this hotel for a 3 night break with friends. I won't go into detail about the fantastic reception area or the rooms, as recent previous reviews proved very accurate. I will say however, that although we were in a classic non refurbished room, this did not make any difference to our stay as the room was very spacious, spotless & well equipped. As for the pillows! Sheer bliss after a hard day sightseeing & shopping. We had requested quiet rooms & had no problem sleeping at night. My friend & I both enjoy a 'wee' gin now & again & the sight of the 'Blue Bar' was just fab, a bar dedicated to the gin & tonic lover! The addition of the different herbs, berries & spices is a great idea & jazzes up the sometimes boring g&t. The spa was great & well worth the 15 euro charge. We stayed room only & had no problem finding great places to eat nearby, the German hot dog stand to the left of the hotel entrance was brilliant, I'll never eat another 'British' hot dog again. With the helpful friendly staff at the 'Atenea' we had an excellent holiday & will definately stay here again. Oh! Only downside was the exorbitant charge for telephoning home from your room. Considering how cheap it is to telephone anywhere in the world today, you would have thought the hotel was on the moon! Remember your mobile. All in all, a very pleasant stay & I just need to make one last comment about the lifts, what a great idea to have lifts that can take you directly to your floor without all the hassle of stopping to let other guests off & on. All in all a very pleasant stay & one well worth repeating.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room if you don't want too much noise - Palma is a city! Don't be put off bo...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank margaret m
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Dear margaret m,

We hope that we were able to meet your expectations and look forward to welcoming you at our hotel.

I am delighted to see that you fully enjoyed your stay and I would like to thank you very much for your comments regarding our Blue Bar. We work for you to make you feel like at home. Deserve to be mentioned our Blue Lounge cocktails. They are highly valued by our guests. You can enjoy a wide range of drinks.

Also, we always think on your confort. For this reason we have incorporated this system lifts. This system permit you go directly to your room.
We are working to improve our pone calls charge, but now this is what we have.

Verónica Soriano - Guest Experience Manager
somerset
Reviewed 9 May 2013

My daughter and I returned to this hotel for a 3 night break and I have stayed here several times. We love its location and the stunning views of the marina from the bedrooms. They have refurbished the rooms and the foyer and public areas since our stay last August and they are very chic and modern. The beds are still the most comfortable of any hotel I have stayed in, however we were on the 6th floor with a sea view and our balcony and room was smaller that the sea facing room we stayed in last time on the second floor. I have a Melia points card and they no longer offer a buy one get one free breakfast which is a great shame with breakfast being 19euros a time! I was also unable to use my voucher for a free night for my birthday as I was told the hotel was full on booking which actually was not the case when we arrived; maybe it's a sign of the times and it could be wiser to find another hotel for our next return trip.

Room Tip: Book a sea view room it really is worth the extra cost!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank bubblesSomerset
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear bubblessSomerset,

We are very grateful for your comments about the Hotel location and the views. We are very fortunate for that.

Our loyalty program changed in 2013 and now has other advantages.
I putt he link where you can see the new Meliá Rewards benefits.
(https://es.melia.com/nMas/jsp/C_Ventajas.jsp#)

For this reason we have not the offer of two for one in breakfast but we have other Meliá Rewards benefits.

Dublin
Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

This is a stunningly gorgeous hotel! The rooms are nothing special but the rest of the hotel certainly makes up for it. The main reception and bar area makes me think of Mad Men for some reason. I could imagine Don Draper making his way down the beautiful staircase in the foyer (or Frank Sinatra for that matter!). I loved this hotel. The bar is lovely and does gorgeous gin and tonics with a bit of theatre. I had a Hendricks gin with pink peppercorn tonic, yum yum yum! I have to say that in general the staff were very nice, especially the bar staff who brought us lots of lovely little nibbles to have with our drinks. Breakfast is €19 per person but certainly worth having at least a couple of mornings. A huge selection of tasty food, there's something for even the pickiest eater. Massive selection of breads, cereals, fruit, cheeses and sliced meats, yogurts, cakes and pastries, and loads of other goodies. There was a lovely friendly chef making omelets, fried and poached eggs to order. Nice swimming pools (both outside and inside) and a beauty spa on site as well if you want to pamper yourself. Great hotel, well impressed!

• Stayed April 2013
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 5 May 2013

We where two couples staying at the hotel in the beginning of May. They had refurbished the rooms since last time, and first impression is bright and clean. The new floors are now in light brown grained laminate, much more hygienic than the old carpets, and the walls are white. The fancy sofa in the corner looks good at first, but is very uncomfortable and barely seats two people. There are only lights beside the beds, and they are not very good for reading.
The designer must be in love with mirrors, since one wall is covered with them, and both doors on the cabinet as well. There is even a small mirror above the sofa, what about a nice painting instead?
Since they have used time and money on this refurbishing, I wonder why they forgot the bathroom. Its small and dark with no cabinets, and have an old bathtub.If they had taking away the wall between the toilet and bathroom, and got rid of the bathtub the room would feel much bigger!
The lobby in the hotel has also got a makeover. There are icy blue lights many places that give an arctic impression, but my be that feels nice when its 30C+ outside.
We came with a car this time, and the hotel has parking places in a safe garage next door for 12 Euro /day.
There excellent breakfast is still excellent, and the service was very good in all levels.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Dear Koben,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to us and let us know your satisfaction. We let you know that your opinion is very important for us. We work for you to make you feel like at home.

As our rooms are newly renovated we are still incorporating elements in the rooms. For this reason, soon our guests will enjoy more lights in the rooms.
In the bathroom we want to have two different environments, the sink área and a most private área.We have not cabinets in the bathrooms but we have a big cabinet in the bedroom. The sofá is very new and it not been used a lot, for this reason yet is a bit harsh.

We are very delighted about your possitive comments aprreciating the renovation rooms.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2013

This was our first visit to the Palas Atenea, and indeed to Palma. We arrived quite late at night and on entering this beautiful hotel we were greeted by the wonderful scent which we have encountered before in the Melia Group.

The Blue Bar, Foyer and Reception area is amazing, which needs to be seen in person to appreciate!! The lighting and decor are breathtaking!

We were very efficiently booked in and the Receptionist showed us how to use the lifts; you just select the floor and the screen depicts which lift you need to enter: 'A', 'B', 'C' or 'D'. This takes you straight to your floor level, no stopping at any other floor!
Our room was virtually opposite the lift, (this was not to be a problem, virtually no noise from any other guests coming and going).

We put the key card in to turn on the lights, and, WOW!!! The room was so Beautiful!!!
The lighting was stunning; with spotlights and blue tinged LED's, and the decor so very stylish, modern and chic; mainly white and charcoal with lots of mirrors - please visit the Hotel website for the photos of the white room with the fabulous purple, double swivel chair!!

We had booked the Sea View, which I would recommend, (especially if you like the morning sun), with our views being of the marinas and of the Cathedral.

We were staying Bed and Breakfast, and I have to express how fantastic both were!!
The bed and pillows were the most comfortable that I have ever, ever experienced. Throughout the stay we never suffered any back or neck ache problems. Normally I end up fighting with the pillows to try and get comfortable but not this time!

Our breakfasts were delicious - so much choice and so very well presented and cooked
Set out in different areas for different tastes: the Cereal and Yoghurt Bar, the Fruit Bar, the English Breakfast Bar, the Cooked Meat Bar, and of course the amazing Spanish and Mallorquin Bar; all accompanied with a choice of liquid refreshments comprising of: waters, fruit juices, tea and coffee or Champagne!!!

During the day at the hotel there is a pool with sunbed area and bar and spa.
We did not visit the spa this time as we went out exploring Palma and other resorts.
The pool bar is lovely - very relaxing to sit and have a drink and catch the afternoon sun!

In the evenings we ate in the restuarant: Tapa Negra.
Once again the food was cooked and presented to perfection! So much variety with the options to eat littles of lots!!

After which we were enticed by the lures of the Blue Bar!!!

All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful - we would highly recommend the Melia Palas Antenea for all the groups: Business, Couples, Family, Friendas and Solo as all are catered for and welcomed!

Room Tip: Premium Sea View Room = Lovely, Stylish, Quiet Room With Good Views of The Boats and Cathedral
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Freixie
Dear Freixie,

I am delighted to see that you fully enjoyed your stay and I would like to thank you very much for your comments regarding our Hotel. We work for you to make you feel like at home.
Our Blue Lounge Bar has been recently renovated and the lighting and decor are very beautiful. It is a nice place for enjoy a drinks.

We are very delighted that you recommend Meliá Palas Atenea for everybody. The most important thing for us is our guests happiness and we think that we get with you.
For he future, I recommend you visit the Spa. It is a nice place where our guest can have a rest and enjoy of differents massage treatments.

Please, let me know your next visit and I would like to greet you personally.

Guest Experience Manager-Meliá Palas Atenea
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I have to say that this is probably the best city break I have ever had. The staff at the hotel were friendly and accommodating. We requested both an early check-in and a late check-out and got both at no additional charge. As it was our 10th Wedding Anniversary I had also requested a bottle of champagne in the room (for which I offered to pay), but the hotel kindly provided us with a bottle of complimentary Cava, which was very nice!
The bed was probably the most comfortable bed I had ever slept in, and the room was spacious, modern and clean, The only very minor negative was that there was an empty bottle in the mini-bar, but we left it where it was, and were not asked to pay for it.
Unfortunately we did not get to use the outdoor pool area due to the rain and cold wind, but even though the weather was poor, there was still a lifeguard on duty.
The Spa was very nice (perhaps a little expensive) and relaxing, and a nice way to spend the Sunday morning before departure.
We only had a couple of drinks at the hotel bar, but both times the bar staff were very friendly.
We had an excellent view from our room (620) which overlooked the harbour and we could also see the cathedral.
Location of the hotel was also good. Admittedly it was probably a 25 minute walk into Palma old town, but there were many bars/cafes on the way. Also, if you walk through the back streets you come across very local/typical Palma bars and tapas bars, which are very cheap.
There is a lovely Italian restaurant literally 1 minute walk from the hotel (turn left outside), and a fantastic cafe that sells crepes, waffles, omlettes and baguettes to die for (which we only discovered on our last morning).
All in all, Palma is a beautiful city, and this hotel is second to none. I would definitely not hesitate to recommend, and would love to return in the future. Book your room now!!

Room Tip: Choose a room around 621 to 619 facing the harbour/cathedral.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple