“Fantastic room and great breakfast. ” 5 of 5 bubbles

Melia Palas Atenea
Ranked #24 of 73 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
GreenLeadersSilver level
Somerset
“Fantastic room and great breakfast. ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here with another couple in adjoining rooms overlooking the pool and harbour. The room was lovely with a huge bed, tea/coffee facilities and a mini bar that we didn't touch.
The balcony had a lovely view if the cathedral and Palma harbour. Once the sun went over in the evening it was the perfect place to relax with wine!
Breakfast in the morning was fantastic. There was so much choice and we filled up ready for a hard day by the pool. They even served cava for a breakfast drink!
The staff were great and were happy to help whenever they could. Even brought an iron and board up after a quick call to reception.
We had a late flight home so they offered to keep our bags until we were ready to collect them. Even gave us a key to a courtesy room for a quick shower before our flights. Brilliant! I would say however the non sea view rooms are not as nice as the sea view ones.
Some things I would recommend you do that caught us out though. We booked through the melia website and thought we had a €10 credit per room per night to spend at any time. Turns out it's not cumulative. You have to spend it on each day. We saved it up then couldn't claim for the 2 days we hadn't spent it. (Hope that makes sense)
Also you need to reserve your sunbeds early. As a 4, we had to pop down about 8am to place stuff on beds together by the pool. If you are planning to stay there all day then bag the sunbeds on the harbour side of the pool. You get the sun for longer later in the day.
We arrived on a Wednesday and stayed till Saturday. On Friday the Jen and stag parties were in force and there are nightclubs very close by. I if you want to avoid them, try not to turn right out of the hotel after 11pm.
If you want to avoid the pavement activity at any time, then cross the road (carefully) opposite the hotel and you can take a lovely stroll up the harbour side and admire the boats in dock.
Lovely hotel and if I planned another trip to Palma I would stay again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mumshadenough
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear Mumshadenough,

Thank you for reporting us your experience after your last stay at Meliá Palas Atenea. It is a real honor to know that you enjoyed it.

This 10 eurs credit cannot be accumulated from one day to the next and is not refundable if not used. This information appears as special conditions at the time of booking. We recommend that our guests get this exclusive gift by booking at melia.com.

We have sundbed service at the pool, limited sundbeds and to provide a good service, it is not allowed to book sundbeds. In this way, the guests that stay on the terrace will enjoy the sundbeds. We are sorry if you did not find sundbeds at any time during your stay with us.

I will share your kind words with the entire team who will be very glad to know that our effort is highly appreciated by our guests.

We will be glad to welcome you in a future and make your visit unforgettable.

Guest Experience Manager - Meliá Palas Atenea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Having just returned from this hotel I thought I'd write a review whilst fresh in my mind. To be honest, I'm having trouble rating the hotel, as there were some really good aspects, along with some poorer ones.

I stayed for 6 nights with friends, which we had booked through Expedia. Having read TripAdvisor before I left, I was a little anxious about staying, due to the mixed reviews. Now I understand why.

The driveway, reception and main interior of the building was excellent. Exactly as I expected a 4 star hotel to be. Smelt good, was clean, and staff on hand to assist.

The rooms we were given were on the 3rd floor, facing the back of the hotel, and had yet to be renovated. Whilst a little disappointing that we weren't staying in the newly refurbished part, it was still clean and comfortable. Yes, it did remind me of an 80s style hotel room but I felt the housekeeping was doing it's best to make the room as good as it could be for a room that was obviously tired and in need of a revamp. I did happen to see across the corridor the new rooms look fantastic.

Breakfast was definitely highlight of the stay. I have stayed in many hotels over the years both in the UK and on the continent but this has to be the best buffet I have ever laid eyes on. You can help yourself to complimentary champagne, ask for an omelette at the cooked section, and so much cheese, ham, bread, fruit etc. Wonderful. If I was giving out stars separately for facilities, the breakfast would have been an award winning 5 star.

The outdoor pool was big enough and deep enough to swim in, although was very cold - could have done with a tiny bit of heat to take the chill off. Many people didn't make much use of the pool, which pleased me greatly, as I could then swim a few lengths uninterrupted. There was a lifeguard on duty, and I don't know whether this is a result of something happening in the past, but it seemed odd that unless they were there, the pool got roped off, so that you couldn't swim. It opened a lot later than I would have hoped - I like a nice early morning swim before the heat of the sun sets in. Still - was a good pool - no real complaints there.

Tips:

The shower in the bathroom may seem weak if it's turned onto the 'eco' setting. I discovered this yesterday, much to my annoyance. I could have had shorter showers if there had been more power. (Never really understand the point of an eco setting as it takes much longer to get the shampoo out and therefore not saving on water or fuel).

Concierge will look after you luggage for you on the last day following checkout. Much needed!

The floors can become quite slippy. On the first day we had torrential rain, and when exploring the hotel, the pool/bar area was very slippy that my friends and I were lucky that we didn't fall over. The marble staircase is also very slippy and for that reason we ended up using the lift all the time, to stay safe.

The spa was nice, although 15€ did seem a lot for an hours worth of use. But seeing as we'd climbed up to Bellver Castle that morning and back, we were definitely in need of relaxation.

Pool and Spa provide towels free of charge, so no need to bring your own!

So, would I stay at this hotel again? I think I probably would, despite the trek into town (although ask about public transport and for a map at reception - as the busses are cheap), however only if I could be guaranteed a refurbished room.

Room Tip: Ask for a revamped room, preferably facing the marina / pool.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Alexandra C P,

Thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to send us your impressions about our Hotel on TripAdvisor after your recent visit.

In reference to your room comments we are sorry if your room did not meet your expectations. I would like to inform we are in the process of renewal, and for the moment we do not have all our room renovated. We hope will have renovated all our rooms in the near future. I recommend you book a Grand Premium or Premium room if you loved the renovated room.

Due to environmental issues, we have flow controllers, but if the guest requires it we can replace it by another system.

I will share your kind words about the breakfast with the breakfast team.

On rainy days, we advise the use of lifts, as any floor can be slippery.

Do not doubt that we take very seriously all the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests and we work day by day in order to keep improving our hotel and service.

We truly hope that you come back and give us another opportunity to reach your expectations.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

On my families recent stay at this hotel, my family and I were accused of taking the sunbeds of two men also guests at the hotel. This was not the case and told the men that the beds where empty when we took them, unfortunately they became abusive and psychical and start pushing and shouting including throwing pool towel at my 66 year old mothers face, no way to treat a lady especially a pensioner. My sister asked a member if staff to get management to assist before this escalated out of hand. I noticed as one of the men was standing an inch from my face a female manager turned up looked across from the bar area then walked away!!!! Disgraceful .It took another couple at the pool to make the men see reason and leave the pool area. I was disgusted at the hotels response to this situation me and my family found ourselves in which left my elderly mother shaken.
The hotel sent me a link to my email asking how my trip was and would I like to post my thoughts on trip advisor, obviously my comments did not make it to the website, they only desire good feedback on their hotel. I'm still awaiting a response from hotel management.
I would also like to add until this point I have never had a problem at this hotel and have stayed here many times.

6 Thank Tixy21
Dear Tixy21,

Thank you very much for the time you took in writing your impressions about our Hotel on TripAdvisor after your recent visit.

Above all, I would like to say how much I deeply regret the unfortunate incident suffered by your family in our terrace and how much I hope that you have already forgotten such uncomfortable situation.

We are sorry to hear that you perceived as a lack of sensitivity on the part of the staff in this matter, please accept our apologies. I can assure you that the hotel tried to solve the situation although, as you know, the hotel do not have control over the clients behaviour in some moments and it is difficult to monitor every movement by our guests.

I would like to thank you for your comments and offer my sincere apologies for not having completely satisfied your expectations. The comments and suggestions that we receive from our guests are invaluable in that they allow us to identify and focus our attention on those aspects of our operations that require special or immediate attention in order to ensure that problems such as those that you faced should not be repeated in the future.

We will be delighted to welcome you back and provide you our best to make your stay an amazing experience.

wigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed for 4 nights couldn't fault hotel! Paid for grand premium room with seaview & it was well worth the extra. Breakfast was outstanding never seen as much choice, nicely presented and service excellent it was also nice to sit outside on the terrace. Pool area clean,plenty beds, good quality pool towels and nice pool bar. All the staff were friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend for its position as well. First experience of a melia hotel and will use again.

Room Tip: Sea view premium
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Ali492,

On behalf of the entire team of Melia Palas Atenea we would like to thank you for the time you took to share your positive opinion about your experience in our Hotel on TripAdvisor.

Your nice review will help others travelers that would like to come, so I would like to present you all my appreciation.

If is your first stay in Meliá, I would like to recommend you to make our loyal card, and you will enjoy all the benefits of Meliá Rewards. You can visit melia.com to see all the information.

We hope you visit us again and of course we will be very pleased to welcome you.

Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

4th visit to this Hotel in 4 years, this time 2nd June for 7 nights. I asked for the same room when i booked direct with Melia on 13th October 2013 but was informed this could not be guaranteed,I found this unusual as the Hotel I stay at in Nice (10 times) and the one in Larnaca (25 plus times) there never seems to be a problem. However it still came as a disappointment when we were told the room was not available but where to be given one of the best rooms in the Hotel (419).This was the end room with a double balcony IE front and side.Being on the end it was next to a very noisy road (Passeo Maritimo-Corniche) and in fact everybody could see you,If you want privacy do not take any room that ends 19.To say the reception where "business like" is the best I can say.Its a pity as the rest of the staff are fabulous .When I handed my keys to reception on leaving a simple "Hope you have enjoyed your stay" would have been nice. This Hotel seems more interested in its corporate clients. I will return to Palma but it is unlikely to this Hotel.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank douglas j
Dear douglas j,

Thank you very much for the time you took in writing your impressions about our hotel on TripAdvisor after your recent stay.

We are sorry if your experience with us was not as pleasant as we wish and if the room did not reached all of your expectations. This room is highly recommended by our guests, because of its located and sea views.

We would have loved to assign you your room preference about your last stay but unfortunately it was not possible due to the high occupancy rates in the Hotel.

We know that you are a loyal client, Meliá Rewards Silver,and we sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in order to provide the best service to make your stay more comfortable.

London England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed for 4 nights at Melia Palas Atena Palma for a long weekend break and a chance for sunshine and decent food in Palma restaurants.

First impressions are not the best, the hotel is a large 1980’s lump from the outside and the reworked reception area was not to my taste. Room wise we were happy with the space and comfort . We were on a higher floor (6) at the back of the hotel, one of the rooms not yet remodelled but absolutely fine. All rooms have small balconies and being at the back you have the evening sun after it has left the pool area at the front. Word of warning – a lower floor room at the back would NOT be a good idea if you want to sit outside. Too close to the road / security wall and some fairly unprepossessing buildings.

The view out to the front is excellent, overlooking some very expensive yachts in the marina with the town and cathedral to your left. The pool area is a decent size and you should have no problems finding a lounger.

As mentioned elsewhere the breakfast buffet is excellent, a real 5 star feature in an otherwise solid 4 star establishment. I would also rank the on-site fitness centre as 5 star, excellent choice of machines.

Getting into town is a 15 minute walk or cheap taxi (never had a problem getting a cab from the rank directly outside the front door). You are nearby the absolutely excellent Restaurant Toque and dinner there has to be a feature of your visit – make sure to book ahead, especially at weekends. The on-site Tapa Negra is a good option for lunch or dinner. Nearby Can Pelut restaurant also a good lunch option.

2 Thank leech_family
Dear leech_family,

It is great to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and it is a pleasure for us to know that you were delighted with the hotel facilities and our staff. We are constantly working on providing our very best services for our guests, and we are glad to see that our attempts are appreciated.

Your nice review will help others travelers that would like to come, so I would like to present you again all of my appreciation.

The entire team will be glad to welcome you soon.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel great breakfast, by "passeo maritimo"- corniche" spacious room. Taxi easy to/from downtown city highlights. Several restaurants nearby with very good prices and food. Calm and quiet despite its size. Safe, big tv and clean service.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jeanpeter K
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear JeanpeterK,

Thank you so much for your comments, moreover for taking the time in sharing your Experience.

It would be a pleasure for all the team to welcome you back in a near future.