“Satisfied & Happy”

Melia Palas Atenea
Ranked #25 of 74 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We have visited this hotel 6 or 7 times and have always been happy with the friendly staff. The breakfasts are special and satisfy every persons taste.The new Extravaganza evenings a bit noisy in the rooms overlooking the pool

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Alison T,

Thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to send us your positive feedback about some points of our Hotel and our staff.

We have only recently started our themed nights “Summer Experience”,therefore we will review the volume.

Thank you for your loyalty to Meliá Palas Atenea.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Perfect location and views! Breakfast lovely! Staff kind! Would recommend a sea front view room. We had a room at the back, not great! But hotel drinks prices are very good considering its hotel prices! Definitely would go back.

Dear Helen E,

On behalf the entire team we would like to thank you for reporting your impressions and feelings regarding your last stay at Meliá Palas Atenea. It is a real honor to know that you enjoyed it.

We hope you visit us again and of course we will be very pleased to welcome you.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

After travelling 20 hours from Bangkok to Mallorca for my friends wedding, we were expecting to check-in to a decent hotel in Mallorca. This simply was not the case.

As were were dragging our luggage from the taxi and up the steps, the bellman brings his bellcart to us as we were standing in line. Figuring we had aleady done the hard part of getting the luggage that far why have the bellman assist us. I politely told him that we could handle it from there. Obviously he was not happy with that - he grumbled something in Spanish and roughly pushed the cart to the wall!

After waiting in line for 20 minutes to check-in . . . we were given a key to our room. FINALLY! When we talked into room 406 I almost fall to the ground. We had booked and confirmed 3 adults and we walked into a very smal room with 2 single beds. I immediately went down to the front desk and spoke to Cristiana. I asked her how did she think it was possible for 3 adults to sleep in that room and she said with a rollaway. I showed her my confirmation from booking.com where where it clearly stated 3 adults (and I paid extra for the 3rd person) and that it did not state anywhere that there would be a extra bed. She told me that "Booking.com is not the their own site" and that they can't control the way rooms are booked. Now being a hotelier myself I very well aware that each hotel is responsible for loading content and photo's onto any on-line travel (Expedia, HRS, Booking,com, etc.) which means the Melia was well aware of what was in their system. Did I mention that the hotel photo on-line looks NOTHING LIKE THE ACTUAL PRODUCT! I do have to say that Cristiana and she did handle the situation very professionally and was fully empowered. She "upgraded" us to a family suite, which I did appreciate. The "suite" was in desperate need of renovation, someone had drawn all over the the chairs and the room was very old and tired.

The other thing that struck me as odd was the fact that the housekeepers just walked into the room without even knocking. This happened each and every day.

All in all -If location were the only important factor when staying at a hotel then I would definitly be back, but sadly it just is not.

Room Tip: Book another hotel . . .
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Meg E
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The hotel is in a great location and if you have a sea view you will love this hotel. The breakfasts are well worth the money and the breakfast staff are brilliant. However we had a 'city view' which isn't actually an accurate description. The view is of graffiti and apartments which are past there best. That's ok so long as the charge for the room reflects that. Also these rooms
at the back of the hotel are ready for a refurb, again ok if it's taken into account in the pricing. We had a couple of problems in the rooms; balcony door wouldn't close and water running through the ceiling in our bathroom. The hotel was about half full and so we asked for rooms with a better view. We were told we could have rooms but at a supplement of 33 euro a night, each. However that same day Booking.com were selling these rooms at the same price we'd paid for ours. I was disappointed with this service.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed 4 nights at this hotel for a business meeting. The property was average, with a noisy location by the port. The breakfast and lunch were delicious and definitely the highlights of the stay. I decided to treat myself to a massage at the rather pricey spa on the premises. At first entry, the candles, music, and elegant decor made me feel as though I was in for a first class spa experience. I soon realized that despite the superficial elegance, the staff is poorly trained, and the rooms were old and not especially clean. The massage table used had a cracked pleather surface which the "therapist" covered with a single sheet. Although I had scheduled a detoxifying body massage, she essentially did an amateurish foot and scalp massage, poured some hot oil on the rest of me, and then inexplicably left for more than 15 minutes without explanation. She returned and let me know that the "massage" was done. When I checked out, the receptionist wanted to charge me 100 euros for the experience. I expressed my dissatisfaction and was able to reduce the price to 75 euros - still very much overpriced. Save your money and find a real spa in town!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Travel_happy39,

Thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to send us your comments; we believe it is only through listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our guests that we will be able to achieve the constant improvement, guest satisfaction and quality service that we strive for.

What a big pleasure to read your nice comments referring our breakfast and lunch service, I will share your kind words with the entire team.

With regard to the massage I am sorry that you received this bad impression. I would ask you to please accept my apologies should you have felt that the massage you received was below the standars that you expected. I would appreciate if you would contact me to give me more details and to know exactly what happened.

Previously we have not received this kind of comments about the massage facilities but we will check our massage facilities. Do not hesitate that your comments is still being analysed, following our continuous improvement plan.

We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in order to provide the best of our service to make your stay more comfortable.

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here with another couple in adjoining rooms overlooking the pool and harbour. The room was lovely with a huge bed, tea/coffee facilities and a mini bar that we didn't touch.
The balcony had a lovely view if the cathedral and Palma harbour. Once the sun went over in the evening it was the perfect place to relax with wine!
Breakfast in the morning was fantastic. There was so much choice and we filled up ready for a hard day by the pool. They even served cava for a breakfast drink!
The staff were great and were happy to help whenever they could. Even brought an iron and board up after a quick call to reception.
We had a late flight home so they offered to keep our bags until we were ready to collect them. Even gave us a key to a courtesy room for a quick shower before our flights. Brilliant! I would say however the non sea view rooms are not as nice as the sea view ones.
Some things I would recommend you do that caught us out though. We booked through the melia website and thought we had a €10 credit per room per night to spend at any time. Turns out it's not cumulative. You have to spend it on each day. We saved it up then couldn't claim for the 2 days we hadn't spent it. (Hope that makes sense)
Also you need to reserve your sunbeds early. As a 4, we had to pop down about 8am to place stuff on beds together by the pool. If you are planning to stay there all day then bag the sunbeds on the harbour side of the pool. You get the sun for longer later in the day.
We arrived on a Wednesday and stayed till Saturday. On Friday the Jen and stag parties were in force and there are nightclubs very close by. I if you want to avoid them, try not to turn right out of the hotel after 11pm.
If you want to avoid the pavement activity at any time, then cross the road (carefully) opposite the hotel and you can take a lovely stroll up the harbour side and admire the boats in dock.
Lovely hotel and if I planned another trip to Palma I would stay again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mumshadenough

Dear Mumshadenough,

Thank you for reporting us your experience after your last stay at Meliá Palas Atenea. It is a real honor to know that you enjoyed it.

This 10 eurs credit cannot be accumulated from one day to the next and is not refundable if not used. This information appears as special conditions at the time of booking. We recommend that our guests get this exclusive gift by booking at melia.com.

We have sundbed service at the pool, limited sundbeds and to provide a good service, it is not allowed to book sundbeds. In this way, the guests that stay on the terrace will enjoy the sundbeds. We are sorry if you did not find sundbeds at any time during your stay with us.

I will share your kind words with the entire team who will be very glad to know that our effort is highly appreciated by our guests.

We will be glad to welcome you in a future and make your visit unforgettable.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Having just returned from this hotel I thought I'd write a review whilst fresh in my mind. To be honest, I'm having trouble rating the hotel, as there were some really good aspects, along with some poorer ones.

I stayed for 6 nights with friends, which we had booked through Expedia. Having read TripAdvisor before I left, I was a little anxious about staying, due to the mixed reviews. Now I understand why.

The driveway, reception and main interior of the building was excellent. Exactly as I expected a 4 star hotel to be. Smelt good, was clean, and staff on hand to assist.

The rooms we were given were on the 3rd floor, facing the back of the hotel, and had yet to be renovated. Whilst a little disappointing that we weren't staying in the newly refurbished part, it was still clean and comfortable. Yes, it did remind me of an 80s style hotel room but I felt the housekeeping was doing it's best to make the room as good as it could be for a room that was obviously tired and in need of a revamp. I did happen to see across the corridor the new rooms look fantastic.

Breakfast was definitely highlight of the stay. I have stayed in many hotels over the years both in the UK and on the continent but this has to be the best buffet I have ever laid eyes on. You can help yourself to complimentary champagne, ask for an omelette at the cooked section, and so much cheese, ham, bread, fruit etc. Wonderful. If I was giving out stars separately for facilities, the breakfast would have been an award winning 5 star.

The outdoor pool was big enough and deep enough to swim in, although was very cold - could have done with a tiny bit of heat to take the chill off. Many people didn't make much use of the pool, which pleased me greatly, as I could then swim a few lengths uninterrupted. There was a lifeguard on duty, and I don't know whether this is a result of something happening in the past, but it seemed odd that unless they were there, the pool got roped off, so that you couldn't swim. It opened a lot later than I would have hoped - I like a nice early morning swim before the heat of the sun sets in. Still - was a good pool - no real complaints there.

Tips:

The shower in the bathroom may seem weak if it's turned onto the 'eco' setting. I discovered this yesterday, much to my annoyance. I could have had shorter showers if there had been more power. (Never really understand the point of an eco setting as it takes much longer to get the shampoo out and therefore not saving on water or fuel).

Concierge will look after you luggage for you on the last day following checkout. Much needed!

The floors can become quite slippy. On the first day we had torrential rain, and when exploring the hotel, the pool/bar area was very slippy that my friends and I were lucky that we didn't fall over. The marble staircase is also very slippy and for that reason we ended up using the lift all the time, to stay safe.

The spa was nice, although 15€ did seem a lot for an hours worth of use. But seeing as we'd climbed up to Bellver Castle that morning and back, we were definitely in need of relaxation.

Pool and Spa provide towels free of charge, so no need to bring your own!

So, would I stay at this hotel again? I think I probably would, despite the trek into town (although ask about public transport and for a map at reception - as the busses are cheap), however only if I could be guaranteed a refurbished room.

Room Tip: Ask for a revamped room, preferably facing the marina / pool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Alexandra C P,

Thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to send us your impressions about our Hotel on TripAdvisor after your recent visit.

In reference to your room comments we are sorry if your room did not meet your expectations. I would like to inform we are in the process of renewal, and for the moment we do not have all our room renovated. We hope will have renovated all our rooms in the near future. I recommend you book a Grand Premium or Premium room if you loved the renovated room.

Due to environmental issues, we have flow controllers, but if the guest requires it we can replace it by another system.

I will share your kind words about the breakfast with the breakfast team.

On rainy days, we advise the use of lifts, as any floor can be slippery.

Do not doubt that we take very seriously all the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests and we work day by day in order to keep improving our hotel and service.

We truly hope that you come back and give us another opportunity to reach your expectations.