“Serious Lack of Sun Loungers”
Review of Melia Palas Atenea

Melia Palas Atenea
Ranked #25 of 74 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 July 2014

A pleasant stay at the Melia Palas. My friend and I went out to Palma for a girly weekend. Bars outside are lively after 11pm I'd say and Pacha just down the road is worth a visit. Short taxi ride into Palma old town where there are plenty of restaurants

All areas clean and tidy and it would appear that the rooms on the front of the hotel are the ones that have been refurbished. Pool area clean with pool bar (2 gin & tonics 21Euros which I thought was pricey). Having arrived at lunchtime and had some lunch we decided to go to the pool where we had to wait by the pool bar for sometime for a sun lounger. You will have to be up and out early in the morning to get yourself a sun lounger. You could see people getting agitated over the lack of sun loungers. Pool towels are provided.

All-in-all not a bad stay, but having stayed at the Melia Victoria just next door, I'd prefer the Victoria.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Staceymccann,

Thank you for your comments, moreover for taking the time in sharing your Experience.

With reference to your sunbeds comments, I would like to inform you that the Hotel offers a limit number of sunbeds according to the size of the swimming pool area,. Near to this area is the Bar, and the breakfast area, both areas with the corresponding furniture.

We regret to know that your experience with us was not as pleasant as we would love.
We sincerely hope to have yhe opportunity to welcome you back again in order to provide the best of our service to make your stay more comfortable.

Guest Experience Manager - Meliá Palas Atenea

Write a ReviewReviews (1,995)

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I booked a standard room at the hotel for a UK long weekend. Possibly not directly the fault of the hotel - I was promised a "Spa hotel overlooking the Marina". The rooms also looked promisingly modern.

The reality couldn't have been more different. True, the hotel did have renovated modern rooms facing the marina, but the standard room in question were facing the backstreets. The state of the room would transport you back to how it was in the 1990s, however without no renovation whatsoever. The room and fittings were more than tired looking - granted however, that the room will probably be given the same facelift as the marina facing ones. The content of the room should have gone in the skip 10 years ago, furnitures, linens, carpets - the works.

The most disappointing aspect of my stay though was the Spa. This is the first property I've stayed in anywhere in the world with a spa on-site, but charges residence (Euros 15) to use the facilities - this include the basic spa facilities such as the indoor pool, steam room and sauna. Facilities were pleasant - but to make it chargeable to guests is ridiculous.

Overall, average hotel if your expectations are managed at the point of booking.

Room Tip: If you book a standard rate, you are probably in the graveyard rooms. Although ask if any marina fac...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JakNorfLondon

Dear JaKNorfLondon,

Thank you for the time you took in writing your impressions about our Hotel on TripAdvisor.

We are sorry if your room did not meet your expectations. On our Website you will find our different room typologies with description and photographs. The room is asigned according to the guest reservation. The Grand Premium Room has sea views and is renovated; the classic room is not renovated yet.

The cost of the Thermal Circuit has a cost of 15€, including Heated dynamic pool with pressure jets at different heights with volcano, 7 hydromassage beds, Whirlpool with ten seats, Footbath, Finnish Sauna, Turkish bath, Bi-thermal showers, Rain showers, Changing rooms, lockers and showers with towels and amenities.

I would like to express my regret and offer my apologies for the fact that the Meliá Palas Atenea did not meet your expectations.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write to us and for your constructive observations. Be assured that in Meliá Palas Atenea will never cease in its efforts to constantly improve the quality of the services provided.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I went there in April for a 5 day holiday, it was absolutely brilliant! Great service, and since it was Easter they provided each member of my family ( 2 children, 2 adults ) with delicious Easter eggs! The room we payed for was not meant to have a sea view but it did! Such a nice surprise, the room service was the best, and housekeeping was impeccable. The buffet! It was truly the best array of food I have ever seen, considering I have travelled the world! It consisted of spanish delicacies, fruit, pastries, cooked breakfast, wine, meats, fish , cereal, juice and so much more! Not to mention the churros and the empanadas! Overall this hotel was beautiful, stylish, modern and gave off a nice comfortable, clean feeling! I love it! I'm going back in August!

Room Tip: Definitely go for the grand premium room, I didn't last time but I got lucky and got a sea facin...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear WorldTraveller398,

It has been very kind of you, that you took the time to let us know about your amazig experience!
Your nice review will help others travelers that would like to come, so I would like to present you again all of my appreciation.

The entire team will be very glad to welcome you in August.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed at Palas Atenea even if many friends told me it was not a 4 stars hotel at all! You cannot belive what happens here. Guests think that noise comes from Paseo Maritimo bars and clubs but it's not like that! I was there with my family trying to relax (we wait all the year to visit Palma and feel finally "in peace" while..) when they started with their high music on the pool terrace. Music sounds all day long during the day and about 18 they start with rock concerts and other live perfomances that it seems to be at wembley arena!! We don't pay 200 EUROS for this!! I paid an extra to be able to watch the sea from my balcony but I had to stay inside the room or directly go away because it was impossible even talk to my family!!

Room Tip: Just don't book this hotel because if you take the rooms with balcony by the sea you won't s...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank MaryRight
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear MaryRight,

Thank you so much for your comments, moreover for taking the time in sharing your Experience. I would like to express my regret and offer my apologies for the fact that the Meliá Palas Atenea did not meet your expectation.

With regard to the music, we have musical line on the terrace during the daytime. We check it each day to observe that we have the adequate volume and we have observed no problems the past few days. However we will take good notice of your comments, to try to avoid these incidents in the future and give our guests the best quality of service and product.

We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in order to provide the best of our service to make your stay more comfortable.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We have visited this hotel 6 or 7 times and have always been happy with the friendly staff. The breakfasts are special and satisfy every persons taste.The new Extravaganza evenings a bit noisy in the rooms overlooking the pool

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Alison T,

Thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to send us your positive feedback about some points of our Hotel and our staff.

We have only recently started our themed nights “Summer Experience”,therefore we will review the volume.

Thank you for your loyalty to Meliá Palas Atenea.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Perfect location and views! Breakfast lovely! Staff kind! Would recommend a sea front view room. We had a room at the back, not great! But hotel drinks prices are very good considering its hotel prices! Definitely would go back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Helen E,

On behalf the entire team we would like to thank you for reporting your impressions and feelings regarding your last stay at Meliá Palas Atenea. It is a real honor to know that you enjoyed it.

We hope you visit us again and of course we will be very pleased to welcome you.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

After travelling 20 hours from Bangkok to Mallorca for my friends wedding, we were expecting to check-in to a decent hotel in Mallorca. This simply was not the case.

As were were dragging our luggage from the taxi and up the steps, the bellman brings his bellcart to us as we were standing in line. Figuring we had aleady done the hard part of getting the luggage that far why have the bellman assist us. I politely told him that we could handle it from there. Obviously he was not happy with that - he grumbled something in Spanish and roughly pushed the cart to the wall!

After waiting in line for 20 minutes to check-in . . . we were given a key to our room. FINALLY! When we talked into room 406 I almost fall to the ground. We had booked and confirmed 3 adults and we walked into a very smal room with 2 single beds. I immediately went down to the front desk and spoke to Cristiana. I asked her how did she think it was possible for 3 adults to sleep in that room and she said with a rollaway. I showed her my confirmation from booking.com where where it clearly stated 3 adults (and I paid extra for the 3rd person) and that it did not state anywhere that there would be a extra bed. She told me that "Booking.com is not the their own site" and that they can't control the way rooms are booked. Now being a hotelier myself I very well aware that each hotel is responsible for loading content and photo's onto any on-line travel (Expedia, HRS, Booking,com, etc.) which means the Melia was well aware of what was in their system. Did I mention that the hotel photo on-line looks NOTHING LIKE THE ACTUAL PRODUCT! I do have to say that Cristiana and she did handle the situation very professionally and was fully empowered. She "upgraded" us to a family suite, which I did appreciate. The "suite" was in desperate need of renovation, someone had drawn all over the the chairs and the room was very old and tired.

The other thing that struck me as odd was the fact that the housekeepers just walked into the room without even knocking. This happened each and every day.

All in all -If location were the only important factor when staying at a hotel then I would definitly be back, but sadly it just is not.

Room Tip: Book another hotel . . .
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family