“Spring Break”

Ranked #27 of 73 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
Northwest England
“Spring Break”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Stayed at hotel for a week,lovely! A fair walk into city but as weather was warm,dry and sunny, walking was very pleasant- I would recommend walking on the harbour road- back streets NOT picturesque!!!! City is beautiful! Hotel clean and,modern,well stocked bar in room but no coffee/tea making facilities! Staff friendly but not intrusive! On final day we checked out of room and relaxed around pool until sun shaded by hotel, then used shower facilities by indoor pool to freshen up before leaving-perfectly adequate for us!Only bug bear- when we booked through Alpha Rooms- we requested sea views- only to find we had to pay a supplement on arrival for this- but was well worth it as view was stunning!

Room Tip: Be prepared to pay supplement for view-it is worth it! City and cathedral light up at night! Sun ris...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shrewsbury
Reviewed 28 April 2013

The hotel was very good and we enjoyed staying there. The breakfasts (the only meals we took in the hotel were very good indeed even down to the eggs and bacon cooked in front of you and to your personal liking )
We would recommend this Hotel.
The only slight inconvenience was the check in and albeit we were early due to flight times the reception was manned by one person only and we took absolutely ages to register.This was rectified on the day as the management were actually interviewing when we arrived.
The evidence being extra new staff on the following day.
The hotel is a long way (approx 3 miles walk to Cathedral and city center along the marina which is a very pretty walk in itself but terminates in a very steep climb to reach the hotel . Do not despair there is a funicular railway to take you up the steep hill to get you home,

Room Tip: Ask for or pay a little extra for a sea view,well worth it. Little or no traffic noise.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2013

What a holiday. Cancelled by holiday in Wales because of weather and booked this hotel at short notice. Cheap flight from local airport was a bonus. Arrived at the hotel at 01.10 am but the receptionist appeared to be wide awake and very helpful. I was in my hotel room in 5 minutes.
The room was very clean and the balcony overlooked Palma Bay. Food was of a very high standard and you can eat as much as you like. Unfortunately and no fault of the hotel the hotel to airport transfer was a fiasco. The hotel made several phone calls on my behalf but after 9 attempts never got one reply. Transfer cancelled and taxi booked. If your transfer is with NT incoming find someone else. Overall a magnificent holiday, Will be staying at this hotel next year

Room Tip: Floors 4 and 5 and request a sea view
1 Thank mickparsons4428
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We have just returned from a lovely stay to Palma (our first) Brian booked hotel & tickets on line and we would definately recommend The Catalonia to anyone looking for a clean and spacious hotel. The view from our balcony on the 5th floor looked out onto the port and across to the Cathedral and old town, pretty spectacular. Free wi- fi with printer down in the lobby meant we could plan our day trips and print off a map. The staff were extremely polite and helpful, especially the waiters/waitresses. We rented a car for the week and toured the entire island which we found really beautiful (the weather was superb) We managed to park the car with no problem every day. We never discovered the funicular from street level so we walked back up every evening, a bit of a climb but not as bad as some of the reviews would suggest. Would recommend you hire a small car as quite a trek into the city and it also gives you freedom to explore this beautiful part of the world. We didn't use the spa so I haven't marked it but it looked lovely. Top marks all round.

Room Tip: One of the top floors with a sea view
1 Thank katrina b
St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I was here with my friend and we found that this hotel was reasonably priced along with the airplane tickets which we bought in a package online!

Service: Well, the hotel staff had been a huge help to me as I had left my passport in the cab which we took from the airport. I am impressed that they knew what to do and they managed to resolve the issue in a calm manner. I am very grateful to the hotel receptionists who helped me contacted the Spanish police to make a police report, helped me informed all the taxi companies that there was a missing passport in one of the cabs and also contacting the embassy for me. Due to this, I managed to get my passport back within three hours upon arrival at the hotel. Apart from that, they had been very friendly and also helpful with recommending local restaurants, beaches and other places to visit. So, a 5 star for service!

Value: As my friend and I had chosen this hotel from an online package, we found that it was great as it was inclusive with airplane tickets.

Sleep Quality: For this category, my friend and I both found the bed to be comfortable and the both of us had a good night sleep. However, I found the pillows to be a bit low so I would wake up with a stiff neck in the morning.

Cleanliness: As expected, amazing.

Location: The hotel is located on a hill, near one of the smaller docks and it is not exactly one of the places nearest to the city centre. However, there is a mall which is located about 5 minutes walk away, so it isn't that bad.

Rooms: Spacious and roomy with a nice balcony. The bathroom was better than expected.

Spa: Didn't use it so I will not be rating it.

Breakfast: A large variety of food ranging from cereals to pancakes to Spanish breakfast (I guess?). They all tasted good but I wished that the staff could've recommended what food to take to be considered a typical Spanish breakfast.

Hope this helps!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank benvslife
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We found this hotel very comfortable and stayed on a half board basis. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the hotel was spotlessly clean throughout.
The room had all you need and came with a spectacular view of the harbour and bay.
The funicular railway was working and i think we would have struggled if we had to walk up and down the hill on a daily basis.
The breakfast buffet was excellent with a good choice of cold food and a hot freshly cooked food which provided bacon, eggs and other cooked dishes.
The evening meals were again buffet style and could be thought of as a little unadventurous but again freshly cooked meat and fish was available every night.
Overall we spent a very enjoyable four days at the hotel and will definately be returning to Palma again as it is a very intertesting and beautiful City.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keith M
berlin
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I was here with 2 other friends. We found a very reasonably priced package on the internet with separate bedrooms. Located on the habour, it is a fair walk to the centre, but as a result of which the hotel has a great view from the front rooms, the restaurant and the terrace. The town centre can be reached by bus. My room (without a view of the habour/old town) was well appointed, clean and modern. The breakfast buffet was wonderful. Unfortunately the funicular was out of order for most of our stay. As a result of which, it was an energtic walk up to the hotel. We didn't use the wellness facilities, but they looked very clean and functional.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends