“A good experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 73 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I was reticent about this hotel based on some of the reviews on TripAdvisor but had a good experience overall. However, based on the experience of the previous reviewer (Julia W), I can see that I probably had a good stay as things went smoothly for us. We too had some level of noise disruption during the night - not from the jazz bar but from guests banging doors at all hours and shouting up and down the corridor. There seemed to be no staff to keep unruly guests in check. We also had a minor irritation with guests putting their towels on sun loungers at 7am in the morning. My husband and I arrived on the roof top pool at 9.30am, to find absolutely no people but every lounger had a towel already on it. Almost half of the people didn't then show up to use 'their' loungers until after lunch time. This is the height of rudeness and the staff should take steps to discourage it. In saying that, our room was nice, the jazz bar was good for lunch (although the service was a bit hit and miss), and the roof top pool is lovely when you can get near it. The best thing about this hotel is the location and, for that reason, I would recommend it as a good hotel in central Palma.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Alnwick, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

I never write hotel reviews but I must share this experience as I would hate anyone to go through the same.Please take the time to read this before you consider a stay here. Booked a 4 night stay at this hotel for myself, husband and son (who has a disability). We requested a quiet room as advertised on their website.Enjoyed a meal on the first evening and music in the jazz club. On the second day, a party of people in their 30's from a certain wealthy eastern European country moved into adjacent rooms to ours. They arrived back at the hotel in the early hours after a night out, slamming doors, running down the corridor, shouting and being generally disruptive. this went on for about 2 hours. the same thing happened the following night.When I asked them to be quiet, I was told to [--] off. they then ran down the corridor knocking on doors telling people to 'wake up'. We complained to the night porter who asked them to be quiet. They took no notice of this whatsoever and continued to be noisy. The following morning we complained to the Quality Care Manager who stated she would talk to the people involved and assured us if their bad behaviour continued, the police would be informed. That evening, the SAME happened again. This time, they partied in their rooms and the hotel corridor until 5am. My husband contacted the night porter several times but no phone call was made to the police. When we asked to see the hotel manager the next morning we were told he was in meetings all day and couldn't be disturbed.The Quality care Manager then told us there was nothing she could do about disruptive behaviour in the hotel.She did not offer us a change of room during any of this, stating it wasn't an option. When we asked for some form of compensation for such a terrible stay, she stated it was against hotel policy to give any concessions or refunds. We decided to withold payment for our meals and bar drinks until we talked to the hotel manager. We left our luggage at the desk as we were leaving that day and went out for lunch stating we wanted to discuss the issue afterwards. On our return, the receptionist REFUSED to give us our cases claiming we owed them money. We were also informed that the police had been called.The police came to the hotel but didn't speak English.Fortunately one of the hotel guests was able to translate.Thank god the police were fair and turned out to be completely on our side.They ordered the hotel to wave any expenses we had incurred, return our luggage and order us a taxi to the airport. The arrogance of the management was astounding. The whole situation was handled extremely badly and escalated into a bizarre and distressing experience for my family. Other hotel guests who overheard were in agreement about the disgusting behaviour of the eastern european guests and how this was managed. This situation will happen again as this hotel is solely concerned with making money and not the quality of service it provides. They condoned bad behaviour and penalised us for challenging their policies.

6 Thank Julia W
Calidadsaratoga, Gerente at Hotel Saratoga, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
The hotel talked with the Russian people in order they do not make any more noise because “they were disturbing the sleeping of these clients”, we called the pólice aprox.6am but they did not come to the hotel. We have to say that nobody from the other guest who were in the same floor complaint about this issue. And because of the noise, these clients decided not to pay his extras from food ,beverages and minibar (188€).Fortunately the accommodation has been paid previously if not they had refused to pay for it too. For our part, it is clear that these customers did not want to pay...They wanted to get their holidays free.
As we decided not to refund or make any discount, they made us blackmail that they were going to write bad comments on Trip Advisor.
While we were waiting the police, we kept their luggage.
We called the police in order they make a statement because the guest refused to pay. The police did not give them any reason, they wrote the statement with the data of the guest documents so that we could take legal action. So after that we returned the luggage to them and we called the taxi.
The Hotel Management
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

We have just come back from the most amazing stay at Hotel Saratoga. We arrived early and check in was no hassle, we even upgraded for an extra 15Euro which was a bargain. The kitchen wasnt officially open but the guys rustled us up some sandwiches and a round of beers. The drinks were flowing all afternoon and the bar team were great, even bringing us our drinks in plastic glasses while we cooled off in the rooftop pool. The views are amazing from the top deck and really made our stay special. Palma is a beautiful city and I only wish we could have stayed longer. I would not hesitate to book this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Lillestrom, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

My first impression was in the recption was ok. But the room & balcony were tiny. The nightprice varied between 120-170 Euro and is not Worth it. This is not a 4 star hotell. Max. 3. The beds are as sleeping on concrete. When I had to cancel because of private familiy issue, they would not refund anything - so be carefull. The management are not flexible for their customers. I would never go to this hotell again - nor recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Edorf N
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

Just come back from 4 nights in this hotel and all I can say is fantastic in all areas, I went with my 22 year old daughter and we both loved it, staff extremely helpful, room immaculate we did not have a balcony but did not bother us! Great location for everything. If u want a day on the beach there is Nassu beach club or Porto Portas which is beautiful.

Malaga, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

We usually stay at either the Victoria or the Palas Atenea, but neither had a suite available, we decided to give the Saratoga a go. If you have a car then you have to pay for Hotel parking as street parking is almost impossible, but if you intend to stay in the centre and tour the old town on foot for a few days, then a car is not required as the location is excellent for everything, including some of the finest restored architecture in the Europe, and world class shopping. Palma is a magnificent city. Virtually across the road there is a pedestrian area full of restaurants of every description. We ate there but it was not a memorable meal. Some 150 meters to the right of the Hotel there is a line of restaurants frequented by locals, and that is always a good sign. For us Cellar Supremsa would have been a better idea as it is one of the very few restaurants still serving Mallorcean specialities such as Mallorcean fritto, tumbet and lomo con col, in an original 1950´s setting where the waiters still wear black ties and have a cheerful attitude,. It’s a fun eatery.

It must have been the bell hops first day as he did not have an inkling of what he was doing. Our suite was large and ultra modern with a good room divider. Towels and soap were few, but the toilet seat was spring loaded and went down by itself. Wow! Dressing gowns were provided, but no slippers, and coat hangers were in short supply. There was no tea or coffee or maker. There was no vanity mirror in the bathroom, and for a woman, a good light for her make up is a must, the lighting was so bad it was even difficult for me to shave. Rather oddly the wardrobe is in the bathroom! The pillows were very, very flat and the first night we supplemented them with cushions. On day two the telephone was fixed and the maid provided us with a selection of pillows. Lovely lady. It looks like the whole hotel had a recent makeover as all of the furnishings are excellent order and immaculately clean. We paid twenty Euros a day extra for a sea view, which turned out to be partial, but we could have been facing a brick wall, so maybe paying the extra was not a bad idea as, this is a very well sought after area in town, and there are many very luxurious apartment blocks close to the left and right of the Hotel. This area is the Beverly Hills of central Palma.

There is a sort of live jazz on four nights a week. I am not sure of the reasoning for this as the bar where the musicians play is on the top floor, small, a bit stuffy and also acts as a restaurant for relatively few local patrons in comparison to hotel guests. The look on the waitresses face was of extreme displeasure as I charged our drinks to our room, no tab here for residents, and each of our drinks were charged separately. I presume that the waitress had the same training as the bell hop. The music goes on until 1am, and as I write from the floor below at midnight, my earplugs have failed to deafen any of the noise, and I have come to the conclusion that I never want to hear the Spanish version of modern jazz again. If you are a lover of it, then this is the Hotel for you with virtual live music in your room! The singer keeps stamping his foot on the floor and it feels like he is doing it to my head. At 12.20 am I am being treated to a drum solo. By 12.30 the band has given up early, says it all.

The breakfast room is large and well furnished with a lovely outside terrace with parasols, and the buffet was on par for a Spanish hotel, except for the bacon that needs to be crisper and less greasy. The waiters were very pleasant.

The wifi is slow, and the only guest computer is in the lobby and does not have a printer. If the hotel added a printer and gave the guest a few sheets of paper then it would save a long walk to an Internet cafe to print out a boarding pass. The receptionist, tired to be helpful, but his answer was to mail him the boarding pass to him and he would print it out which was, of course, impossible.

On the plus side if you walk down Jamie 111 and take the second on the left at Carrer de Bonaire, at number 19 you will be beside Palma’s best kept secret, the Restaurant La Bigornia. It looks small from the outside, but there is a large dining room downstairs. Wonderful food from the north of Spain and large jugs of draft “champagne”. If you ask the barman how he gets it to Palma he will tell you, with a twinkle in his eye, “with a long hose”. A visit is a must.

Would we stay here again? Yes, because of the fantastic location, but I would want to be as far away as possible from live music as possible. The Saratoga is a good Hotel and if the owners make a few changes, it would be a great Hotel. The lack of sound insulation from the jazz club is the main problem, and the owners need to decide if this is a jazz club, for a relative few locals, or a Hotel for many guests who can pay, as we did, 300 Euros a night for a suite. At the Victoria or the Palas Atenea the noisy revellers spill out from Tito´s disco at 4am and no one can sleep through that, so the Saratoga has a plus point in that at least you can sleep after 1 am !

Room Tip: Payig a little extra for a sea view is a good idea.
1 Thank Stewart1234567
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

I have stayed at the Saratoga before and love it there. I was there for business so I didn't really try the facilities. I did wander up to the dining floor one night to have dinner but found the environment stark and uninviting for a single person seeking a meal, I seem to remember the restaurant being downstairs and feeling more comfortable but that was 6 years ago. I went and ate on the street. But this is only my perspective. Everything else about the hotel I find very positive. I will certainly stay there next time I am in Palma for business.
Kind Regards
Michael Williams
Australia

Important if you like wine. A great wine shop 5 minutes on foot called Millesimee. Great service and good wines from Spain. (all red as it specialises in Tinto)

Room Tip: My room was a low end room on the first floor. It had a balcony overlooking the pool. A great great...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business