“Romantic Spanish Getaway”

Ranked #8 of 74 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
Shipshewana, Indiana
“Romantic Spanish Getaway”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My husband I stayed at Castillo Hotel Son Vida for a week in July 2013 - it was the perfect launching point for a week of traveling the Spanish countyside. The hotel was nostalgic (with every modern ammentity desired) as it was once a castle and the staff very helpful. The bathtub in our room was to die for - a deep soaker tub. On-site ammenties were great - a gorgeous pool with a fabulous view of the island, grass and clay tennis courts, a wondeful patio for cocktails in the evening...it was a great place to call home for the week. The only downside for some might be the location. It is up in the hills of Son Vida so any trip to dinner off-site or shopping required a taxi or bus ride. The positive to this is that it was a luxurious getaway compared to the crowded city of Palma - we enjoyed going into downtown Palma and experiencing the nightlife but then coming home to a serene and beautiful castle on top of the hills of Mallorca. It was dream trip and we're ready to go back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank csomers21
ODCGM, General Manager at Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Csomers21,

thank you for sharing your positive feedback on TripAdvisor following your stay with us in July last year.

I was very happy to see that you had a wonderful time at the hotel - all our associates work very hard to make every guest´s stay special and the entire team is grateful for your encouraging words.

As you mention in the heading, we are indeed a "Getaway" - close enough to the capital Palma to only require a short taxi ride yet far enough to experience the tranquility of the beautiful countryside and hills surrounding the city.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

Oscar del Campo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 25 December 2013

This hotel is only describable with superlatives. Absolutely stunning location, beautiful surroundings , garden and architecture, great service, world-class cuisine, high-end amenities...If you are searching for real luxury and flawless service with welcoming staff and not a single wish that cannot be fulfilled this hotel is for you. We're trying to come back asap in 2014!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WorldTravellerG
Dear Checkah,

thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback on TripAdvisor following your stay with us in April.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your time with us and even more so knowing that you are planning to return this year. Do feel free to contact me directly should you need assistance with your reservation.

Thank you again for your encouraging words, we look forward to welcoming you back soon at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Simply the best service i've had... Highlight of our Spainish trip was staying at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida in Palma De Mallorca. Amazing staff which are first class and treat you like your the only people there. The Castle, amenities & view are just stunning, we can't wait to return which is already in the planning.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ScarboroBoy
ODCGM, General Manager at Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear ScarboroBoy,

thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

I was very happy to see that our associates made the difference - they work very hard to make sure that our guests have a memorable stay with us, thank you for your encouraging words.

We look forward to welcoming you back here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida soon and wish you a
Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Paris, France
Reviewed 6 December 2013

it is not my favorite hotel in mallorca, but it is a great hotel for golfers. The restaurant is okay for dinner, expensive but so-so good food. good breakfast, though.
Great view of mallorca, also not so far away from the center.
the standard room is too small for two.

during winter, off season, it is quiet and I like it.
better not with small children, the hotel is for adults who wish a quiet elegant stay in mallorca.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hermeslover2013
Dear Hermeslover2013,

thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor following your stay with us back in April.

Whilst I was delighted to read your recommendation of our hotel particularly for golfers, I am of course a little disappointed that we did not manage to meet all your expectations during your stay.

Hopefully you will be visiting Mallorca soon again and I would be delighted if we would be your hotel of choice once again - I can assure you that we will do all we can to make the Castillo Hotel Son Vida your favourite hotel on the island.

In the meantime we wish you a Merry Christmas and a very prosperous year 2014.

Lewes
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Things were not going well. On a business trip to Mallorca I had waited 80 minutes in the airport for a transfer to my hotel until I discovered that my accommodation had been switched at the last minute without anyone telling me. And the new one had not been asked to arrange my pick-up. So far so bad.

I was finally contacted and told to get a taxi to the Hotel Son Vida where my fare would be paid and my room ready and it was with enormous relief that I finally arrived at the large metal gates that greet visitors to this splendid hotel sitting high on an estate overlooking Palma, that has been occupied since the 13th century.

My irritation over the previous cock-ups swiftly subsided as I was received with friendliness and courtesy by the desk attendants. My luggage was spirited away, as happens in all the best places, and I made my way up to the eighth floor and room 851. Strangely, such is the configuration of the hotel the ground floor, where reception is, is the sixth so it is not hard to get lost on one's first visit.

My room was like the hotel: big, classy and comfortable with free wifi, a fine, big desk to do some work on and English TV should I wish to catch up with proceedings at home. Matthew, who had shown me to my room, could not have been more helpful- to the extent that when I said, 'Right, after my problem getting here it is now time for a beer,' he simply said 'Allow me, sir' and poured me a cold beer whilst I sat down and started to unwind.

Sadly I did not have time, given my schedule, to eat anything other than breakfast in the hotel although that was first class, with a cold buffet and hot food available from early each morning. The service is slick and discreet as it is throughout. Venturing back later in the day I would head for the bar and be looked after as though I had been coming here for years rather than simply being a first time visitor. The staff really do try harder here and it makes me want to come back.

And despite grisly weather, a daft itinerary that did not even allow time for us to play the Son Vida golf course, the oldest on the island, and trips on a minibus to places that were not a patch on what was available on my doorstep, at least I had the Hotel Son Vida to come back to each evening. It is a top quality establishment and a perfect spot for those looking for something special when staying in Mallorca.

Room Tip: Make sure that you are not in a room overlooking the bar terrace as this can become noisy when peopl...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Golfing-Steve,

thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following you recent stay with us here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

I was sorry to hear about your somewhat poor start to your holiday, but in a way also grateful that your accommodation was switched at the last minute to our hotel - what a great opportunity for us to make you feel comfortable and reconcile you with our wonderful island.

I am delighted to see that we managed to meet your expectations throughout your stay and I very much hope that this will not have been your last visit to the Castillo Hotel Son Vida - there are still our wonderful Golf Courses to be played!

Thank you again for your positive feedback - we wish you a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Just the view of Palma from the hotel is enough to stay here, add luxe properly done and you have one of the finest hotels in the world. It is in our top five for certain, lots of golf on Mallorca, great food at the hotel including the kaltezimmer child room for the cold breakfast foods. Three stays here now, will be back as well. Did I mention the views?

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Redanman,

thank you for sharing your encouraging feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida and wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I travel a lot, all over the world, and this hotel must be one of the best. Note that I have stayed there already 5 times in the last three years. So, why is it so good ?

The location is perfect, in the hills of palma. The maintenance of the hotel is also perfect. Over the years, it remains very well maintained. The staff is also excellent, friendly and profesional. Of course, mistakes happen, but very rarely. I have never had any problem in this hotel which was not settled in the 5 minutes.

The breakfast is simply fabulous.

The rooms are extremely nice, very luxurious (I dont understand those saying they are not ...). In addition, the SPG Platinum benefits are the best: we were always upgraded, often in the 100 sq m executive suite, even when on award nights: this is extremely rare at starwood hotels.

The pool is very big, though very cold, and thee was always room for everyone (admitedly, we were never here in june, july or august).

What more can I say ? Bravo to all at the Castillo !

Room Tip: Room with view over palma
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Belgian_Traveller_73
Dear Belgian_Traveller,

thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor following your last stay with us here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

I am glad to hear that you continue to enjoy your time with us and that we were able to meet your expectations on each of your stays. Thank you for your encouraging words.

I very much hope to be able to welcome you back soon here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida - in the meantime I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a prosperous 2014.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palma de Mallorca
#3 of 182 in Calvia
Boutique Hotel Can Cera
Boutique Hotel Can Cera
#5 of 74 in Palma de Mallorca

Been to Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!