“Fabulous - Definitely Will Be Back”

GPRO Valparaiso Palace & SPA
Ranked #22 of 74 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
Reviewed 9 July 2008

A little background about us before I begin .... We are two 30 (something) Mum's who booked a break away for 4 nights (no partners nor children) for some serious rest and relaxtion and we are delighted with our choice.

I had read many, many reviews of various hotels across mainland Spain and the Balearics so decided to go ahead with the Valparaiso on a B&B basis as it seemed so popular - deservedly so.

We had a very warm welcome and a good giggle with reception staff when we arrived at midnight on Friday. We checked in and went up to our room on the 6th floor - there was no sign of chinz or 80's wallpaper here, with a sea view (I requested this on our online reservation form and this was duly noted) - a SPECTACULAR view from our balcony! We found all of the staff extremely polite, friendly and helpful throughout our stay - I think it is always worth remembering that you get back what you put in. They even continued to offer to assist us with phone calls to Easyjet at Palma airport as the wonderful Easyjet had sent my travel companions case to Milan instead of Palma (she didn't receive it for 2 days but that is another story)!

We found the sunbeds the most comfortable we have ever had the pleasure of bathing on (and we both have travelled 5* around Asia and Australia) - the pools are fantastic - plenty of room so no-one too close! The Gambo Palace (poolside eatery) staff were always attentive and pleasant. Plenty of shade if the sun is too hot. Gardens immaculate. Nice breeze as the location is not in the heart of the city and obviously above sea level.

Now, let me tell you about the spa (actually I would rather keep it our secret so it doesn't get too busy) - but it's only fair I share. We were aware that we would have use of the spa so we thought perhaps limited use i.e. an occasional sauna, jacuzzi etc ..... Oh No, it was the works! Herbal Steam room, salt steam room , waterbeds in the relaxation room, meditation pods, sensory showers, indoor pool, jacuzzi bars, ..... I could go on but I am teary just thinking at how wonderful it was - it was FANTASTIC !!! We had a spa every evening before going out to La Llotja for Tapas and to be honest I was so relaxed and detoxed that I didn't even fancy a glass of wine with my evening meal (very unusual for me I hasten to add).

Breakfast was, as stated in other reviews, out of this world! Everything you could think of was there. Also free newspapers to browse. I can't comment on evening meals as we didn't eat at the hotel preferring to eat out in the City.

Reluctantly we had to leave yesterday and requested a slightly later checkout (normally midday but we requested 2pm) and this was also granted at no extra charge . We were able to relax by the pool all morning, have lunch and then shower and pack before jumping into a taxi to the airport (15 minutes away) - bliss.

A complete "find" hotel as we describe it, excellent for a long weekend of relaxing and we most certainly are going back there when we can (and observing the weather forecast for the next month in England I should imagine it won't be too long).

If you are lucky enough to be going soon, then enjoy and make sure you ask a therapist at the spa to show you around as it's so big you would probably not be aware that half of it is there!

Thank you Hotel Valparaiso for a wonderful break.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 June 2008

Ok, I pondered whether to write this review or not, as my views seem to contradict with the majority on here so it may be my judgement that's skewed, but I'll let you decide....

We have just returned from a 4 day stay at the Valparaiso, and I should point out that the accommodation was a freebie from Marriott whilst we visited their Vacation Club to finalise a purchase (the Marriott hotel itself was fully booked!!). So, my views are impartial in this respect.

First impressions: Nothing extraordinary here, although it would have been nice to have been offered help with our luggage up the flight of rather steep steps into reception. We were welcomed reasonably warmly and given an early check in as the room was ready. However, again we were not offered any assistance with our baggage to the room, or informed of how to get to the room, location of lifts etc.

Location: Hmm, I wasn't keen. I really didn't like the feeling of being nestled amongst a distinctly average residential area. I think I would rather be surrounded by other hotels than other peoples' houses and flats! I can't comment on the lovely views as stated in other reviews, as our room didn't have one! We had a 2nd floor room at the rear of the hotel, which faced 4 rather unattractive tennis courts. The port WAS there, but unfortunately the small view we might have had was obscured by a large tree! We asked if we could move to a front view room but were informed that no rooms were available. I found this very hard to believe as the hotel certainly didn't appear to be anywhere near fully occupied.

Rooms: We had a standard double room (at least I assume it was a standard room!). Having read some worrying reviews on here about the discomfort of the hard beds, I was a little trepid as I suffer chronic back pain following spinal surgery. Yes, the beds were on the hard side of hard, but I didn't find them unbearable or unsupportive as some reviewers state. I requested extra pillows as there were only two rather thin ones on the beds, and these were delivered promptly. The rooms do reflect a distinct 80's chintz style and the decor will not be to everyone's taste (mine included), but apart from a slightly tired looking carpet, the fixtures and fittings were clean and functional. You do get the impression that a rigorous overhaul might be imminent. Bathrooms are fine too - again, clean and well equipped. One unexpected extra was the channel availability on the Sony flatscreen TV - not only was there BBC1, but we also stumbled across ITV (I've never found that before in Majorca!!!). So if you like your TV, you should be happy enough here!

Surroundings: Beautiful! The hotel's grounds are opulent and impeccably maintained - two great pools, gardens, dining terraces and a stunning waterfall feature make the whole environment lovely. One gripe I have is with the noise level during two nights of our stay here. On both the Friday and Saturday evenings, there were wedding receptions taking place in the hotel, both of which took place in a function room below our rooms. The noise level (particularly on the Saturday) was hideous. Shouting, singing and chanting going on relentlessly at 4am, with a string of fireworks going off on the roof right outside our balcony at 11.30pm, which frightened the living daylights out of me - I was convinced a bomb was going off. It would have been helpful to pre-warn guests with rooms in the proximity, about this beforehand. I'm sure this was purely bad luck on our part, given the location of our room, but it's something to be mindful of if you do have a room at the rear of the hotel.

Staff: Hot and cold! Some members of staff went out of their way to assist and were always ready with a friendly greeting. However, others were distinctly chilly and gave a slight impression that you were just a bloody nuisance in the whole process of running a hotel!

Dining: Not good. At all. Before I embark on my tirade, I should point out that the breakfast buffet is almost faultless - plentiful, varied, fresh and efficiently serviced, so absolutely no complaints there. We dined at the hotel twice for an evening meal, the first occasion being a "Summer Solstice" celebration gourmet dinner which we were handed a personal inivitation to upon our arrival. We decided to book this as it looked interesting and being our first night in the area, figured it would be ideal to save us going out to eat elsewhere. However, when we called Reception to book a table for this, the receptionist appeared not to know anything about it and we were told the restaurant was to be shut for the evening and that she didn't know why. We then showed her the invitation we had been given, and she repeated that the restaurant was not going to be open. We pointed out that the letter stated the event was scheduled to take place "around the poolside" and no mention of a particular restaurant was made in the invite. She then impatiently snatched the invite from me and examined it - a phone call was made and eventually she came back to us and said that this event was taking place around the poolside and not in the restaurant....I think that is what we were trying to tell her! She said she would book a place and dismissed us - we asked if we would need to confirm this was ok and she said no and that she already said she would book it. Charming! Later that evening, we went to a dining area which did appear to be open and asked where we should go for the dinner event - once more, we were given a blank look and a pair of shrugged shoulders. It took 4 members of staff several minutes to decide where to send us. By this time, we were seriously wondering if someone was having a laugh at our expense! It transpired that there was about 40 people at the "Summer Solstice" party - quite how a hotel can arrange this and forget to tell most of their staff about it is beyond me, but nevertheless a fairly pleasant evening followed. The food was pretty good in the end and worth the effort it took to get there!

We chose to dine at the Bistro restaurant on our last evening and by the end of our starters, we already had kept several petty gripes regarding the service and quality to ourselves, not wishing to be thought a nuisance (so British!). However, the straw which broke the camels back ended up with me sending back my main course (something I have never, ever done in my 40 years on this planet - I am NOT a picky eater!). I ordered pasta in garlic sauce and received a plate of penne sitting in about an inch and a half of oil with a few lumps of garlic and half a dozen red chillies chopped amongst it. That was it - nothing else. Not even a sniff of a herb to distract me! I felt quite ill at he sight of this bowl of oil and realised there was no way I would be able to eat it. I explained this quietly to the waiter and asked if I could change it for something else. The waiter frostily informed me that I had ordered garlic sauce and that I had been given garlic sauce and marched off. A few minutes later, the manager came over and said "Tell me". So I told him. I was then informed that even though the menu says garlic sauce, it is not really garlic sauce! He tried to explaint that garlic sauce means oil and garlic (he didn't mention the large fistful of fierce red chillies waiting to ambush me) and infered I should know this. He then went in search of a menu to double check that I had read the description correctly! Upon establishing that the writing really did say "garlic sauce", he shrugged and repeated his mantra "just because it says garlic sauce doesn't mean it's sauce"!! I was actually laughing at this point at the sheer ridiculous nature of the conversation (which, I should point out, took place in Spanish, so I couldn't even blame a translation issue!). Eventually, I was offered a replacement so I opted for a burger which I thought couldn't cause too much offence to my digestion. Wrong! I received a slab of grossly undercooked ground beef, it was quite literally sitting in a pool of blood, and the accompanying bread roll was soaked in the stuff. This was accompanied by a few limp looking french fries and a generous dollop of fried onions sitting in yes, you've guessed it, a large puddle of oil!!! I simply dare not make any further comments and by this stage was terrified to leave more than a few crumbs, lest I should find myself bedless for the night! Overall, this was absolutely NOT the stuff I expect from a 5* hotel. I know that a Spanish 5* is not always reflective of the Brtish equivalent standard, but I have stayed in 3* hotels in Spain with far superior food than I witnessed here. Combined with the appauling attitude of the restaurant manager, I can safely say that I will not be returning to the hotel for this one reason only. Our opinions were shared by others it seemed, as we saw two other people sending their meals back during ours, and a couple we spoke to were there on half board for a week and were really disappointed with the quality and selection of the food on offer.

Make your own minds up, but if a hotel's menu and dining experience is an important factor when choosing your hotel, think carefully about this one!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Petrolheadette
Reviewed 2 June 2008

I stayed here for 2 nights in May. When we arrived it was raining and our rooms were not ready so not a great start to our short break. However the reception staff were very accommodating and kept our bags and we got a taxi ( very cheap) to Palma and put in a few hours having lunch and shopping.

The bedrooms are in need of a refurb and are not 5 star by todays standard. We had requested by e-mail rooms at the top of the hotel and this was granted. The view we had was fantastic over the bay and marina.

There are 2 large pools with very comfortable sun loungers. Luck was on our side and the bad weather was not repeated. The service around the pool was fabulous with a waiter coming around with ice cold strawberries and little smoothies at frequent intervals - very nice!

We had booked on a half board basis. The food we had on each evening was truly outstanding .The 1st night we were in the restaurant and the 2nd night was a BBQ by the top pool. We were served complimentary sparkling wine before dinner and the staff were incredibly professional and attentive. Breakfast was served buffet styleand had a great selection.

The Spa we used on day 2 and we were really glad we did. In contrast to the rest of the hotel this area is very modern .We all felt totally revitalised after our visit, in preparation for a night out in Palma!

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. It is old fashioned but in a comfortable and charming way. Great place to relax and receive top class service - enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank coco40
Reviewed 31 May 2008

Just had 5 days here, can't fault it. The service in particular was top notch, staff couldn't do enough for us. Had a few cloudy days and that is when the spa area came into its own. Free to guests and lovely pool area to sit round. Outdoor pools also gorgeous when the weather was nice! Let's talk about the 'walk' that everyone keeps mentioning. From the hotel to the centre of Palma is about 45mins but nice along the Marina. However, about 10 mins walk away is the shopping complex called Porto Pi. It looks like a small shopping mall but when you go in it is huge! On the bottom floor is a Carre Fore supermarket which sells everything and you could get lost in it!
Lots of other shops and a Haagen Daas cafe! As other reviewers have said the hotel is on a hill but it helps walk off the breakfast!
Rooms were lovely and all areas of the hotel really clean. We ate in the bistro a couple of times and yes I suppose it is a bit more expensive but so what.....I hate places where I see my food as a picture on the menu! Go......you'll love it!

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank Withers
Reviewed 20 April 2008

We stayed here for a week in March and enjoyed it. I wouldn't rate it at the top end of 5* hotels as our room was a bit tired with quite dirty carpets (though they seemed to be giving our floor a full clean the day we left) and it lacked some of those "nice" touches you get in the best hotels. Staff were very friendly and helpful and there are excellent pool and spa facilities.

The hotel is sitauated on top of a hill overlooking Palma bay with some fantastic views from rooms at the front but it is some way from the town centre.

Others have commented on the distance from the hotel into Palma. The staff at the hotel will say it's 20 to 25 minutes on foot but we found it a 45 minute walk to the cathedral (nearer an hour coming back, uphill) and I can imagine it would be quite gruelling for some walking up the hill in the searing heat in July / August. That said, on warm but not too hot March days, we found it a pleasant walk along the marina admiring the multi million euro yachts. However, there are regular buses at 1.10 euros each way from just outside the hotel into the town centre or a taxi was anything from 7 to 10 euros depending on time of day.

We didn't rate the bar or restaurant in the hotel - the food was mediocre and expensive for what it was and the drinks were quite over priced compared with the nearby bars.

Breakfast was fantastic with everything you could think of and more including a smoothie bar.

Overall, a nice hotel which we would recommend.

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed 3 January 2008

We stayed 22 to 26 December. The staff were extremely helpful and attentive. On arrival at the hotel the bell boy took our car and parked it and had the bags at reception before we completed the extremely efficient check in. The receptionist had actually read the request for a quiet room with sea view! Within seconds we were on the 6th floor in a really good room with awonderful panorama of the whole bay of Palma and the countryside beyond. The few rooms on the rear of the hotel have views of the bay of Illetas and the coast and countryside beyond, so no real bad rooms for views.
The spa was totally amazing and free apart from treatments. The pool was part inside/part outside, and on a chilly winter evening nothing beats the warm water and the moon above. The sauna/steam rooms were well above average as was the chill out rooms with inividually heated water beds. It was a totally relaxing experience, with virtually no children. Wonderful for those like us who are not really into the UK christmas experience. Most of the other guests were middle aged Germans.
Breakfast was aexcellent and we really liked the smoothie bar. 5 a day was no problem at breakfast! The management put on several complimentary cocktail parties and other delights for those who wished to take part, otherwise peace prevaled.
Of late we have been staying at the Punta Negra and Bon Sol and because it was winter we decided to try a hotel closer to Palma. We are really glad we did and would have no hesitation in returning to this hotel at any time of year.
And yes, like other reviews, we found it strange that the room had no information pack in it to give spa opening times etc but this in no way distracted from the excellent service in the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank D&DWirral
Reviewed 28 September 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Valpariso Hotel in Palma in July 2007 for a lazy weekend and it was great. I had read the reviews on here for some reassurance first before booking and I wasn't dissapointed.
The swimming pools are fab (there are 2 - one quieter at the top and one more family friendly below which is huge) and the sandwiches from the pool bar are a must! There are plenty of shaded areas too for those who can't sit out all day in the sun.
The views are great and you can see the cruise ships in the harbour and all across the bay.
Dinner on the Terrace in the evening was beautiful with twinkling lights and attentive staff. Tip - reserve a table during the day to guarantee a table for the evening at weekends as its a popular spot.
Our room was fine for a long weekend but we are used to something abit more contempory chic than chinz but overall it was very good.
The Spa was quite impressive but too dark for me to want to spend too much time in when i was only there for 3 days!
The centre of Palma is quite a wealk away so I'd advise to always get a taxi. The shops all shut on Sunday which was a surprise for a capital city but I guess they like to rest on Sundays unlike us Brits!
We might have missed something, but the nightlife wasn't really buzzing....good for a stroll and a drink or too and plenty of good looking tapas bars near the Cathedral - which is very impressive.
Overall, I'd definatly recommend a stay here for a short break or as a base for travelling the island as its got great facilities, food and staff. The weather helped of course - scorchio!!

2  Thank SunBronzed