“Fantastic hotel, will be returning !!”

Portixol Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #42 of 74 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We stayed at this hotel from 28th July to 2nd Aug 2011. From the moment we walked into the hotel we were taken care of, nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff at Hotel Portixol. The service received throughout our stay was excellent.
For the first 3 days we stayed in the Corner Terrace room which was beautiful. The bathroom was equally as good, particularly as it had recently been refurbished. The last two days we moved next door which was also a nice room but the bathroom is to be renovated early next year.
The pool and pool area was ideal, with very comfortable sunbeds and also sofas to lounge on in the shade.
The restaurant is popular with non residents, probably because of the good food and service! So a reservation may be advisable to avoid disappointment.
However, if you wish to venture outside the hotel there are a number of really good restaurants and cafes in the area itself, whilst also being just a 5-10 min taxi ride away from central Palma.
We will definitely be returning to Hotel Portixol

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doherty001

Reviewed 9 August 2011

We first visited the Portixol for dinner last year and were so impressed we decided to spend the last 3 nights of our 7 night holiday here

We have been staying at the same hotel for the last 4 years (see separate review) and love it so we were worried that the Portixol might not live up to our expectations

It did, it was boutique and quirky but very comfortable

We arrived at 1pm and our room wasn't ready (check in is 2pm) so we were offered a drink at the bar while we waited. We were already in our bikini/swim shorts because we'd just checked out of the other hotel so after our drinks we were ready to hit the pool, but you can change in the spa if you can't wait for your room to be ready!

Worth mentioning, in reception is a little shop that sells designer (marc jacob, dior, carrera) sunglasses, beach bags, kaftans, condiments etc so if you forget something or want to take a gift home then you don't need to leave the hotel!

We stayed in room 44 which had two lovely big windows/juliet balconies facing the pool/sea

The room was large and nicely decorated with a big comfy bed and separate sofa, not sure if this converted to a bed? There was a walk in wardrobe there is loads of hanging space and shelves and this is also where the mini bar and safe are located, the mini bar was very well stocked. The bathroom was well equipped with towels, robes, flip flops & toiletries, and a heated towelling rail to dry your bikini in privacy! And there was a huge full length mirror by the door, something that seems to be becoming quite rare in hotels?!?!

On our first night we got a taxi into Palma where we ate at Simply Fosh - see separate review

On our second night we ate at a local restaurant, El Tula, my tomato & mozzarella salad starter was very tasty but my sea bass main was just ok.

On our third night we ate at the hotel's restaurant, the food is really very good. In fact, breakfast, lunch and dinner are all fantastic. The selection is great and the restaurant is always packed so reserve a table. Worth mentioning, the Toast Portixol, very tasty!

The gym looked very well equipped, they even had a powerplate! But if you prefer exercising outside there is a great cycle route that we saw alot of people cycling/running along

I didn't get a chance to look in the spa, but the list of treatments looked very tempting! And if you have a late flight you can get showered/changed in here, although it gets a bit hot!

The staff are friendly and helpful, although there wasn't much recognition. I imagine if you are a regular visitor you would build up a rapport. Worth mentioning, the bar is very well stocked and Vicky makes an amazing Cosmopolitan!

Wifi works pretty well in/outside the hotel

Niggles?

~ The sunbathing area was a little limited. In the morning the sunloungers (very comfy, with cushions) are all neatly lined up facing the pool, but if like us, you "follow the sun" during the day it becomes a bit squashed trying to manoeuvre your sunlounger without encroaching on someone else's space

~ We didn't get to visit the other local restaurants but if they are similar to El Tula then we would probably end up eating in Palma or at the hotel every night

We would go back to the Portixol and we would recommend it to friends, especially ones who have families but don't want to stay at a typical family hotel

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I have just returned from my sixth stay here in 4 years; sometimes as a couple, as a family and with a friend. Obviously then I like it ..... and it comtinues to give all I require for a short break.
Near to the airport = no hire car
quality amenities (DVD/toiletries/robe/flipflops/library) = lighter hand luggage
It's spotlessly clean, welcoming and has a good restuarant on site. Breakfast is ample with good coffee, papers and all avaialbe till 11am.
I like it's style and comfort and so am prepared to pay that bit extra to ensue a relaxing break and a sun bed by the pool. Having stayed in a variety of rooms I am now happy to stay in the no view as we spend very little time in it. I wouldn't reccommend this for a first time visitor.
What I would like to see there - a decent hairdryer!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank nickihof
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We stayed for 4 nights, to celebrate my husbands birthday, & as a relaxing break before flying over to Murcia for our daughters wedding. Oue son & his wife joined us as a surprise for my husband for 2 nights.
We had a port view terrace and then a med view terrace. Both were lovely, nice views and spotlessly clean.
All of the staff were very friendly and polite. We left some jewellry in our first room and it was returned to us promptly. Then upon leaving, my husband announced at the airport that he had lost his camera. We phoned the hotel, it had been left in the safe and they offered to return it by post to our home in the UK.
We found a lovely , very chilled Tapas bar around the bay and a very nice steak house.
If I had to find any negative about the hotel, and it did not affect me greatly, but there seemed to be a lack of facilities for children. They were quite noisy, screaming and shouting from the pool. It would be nice if an area with a small pool and play area could be created, perhaps on the side of the hotel where not many people sunbathed.
However this did not, as I said, greatly detract from our enjoyment. We will go back probably next year.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kellygirl1984
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I found Portixol Hotel here on trip advisor and spent 7 nights at hotel in early July. The rooms are nice by European standards and views are excellent. I recommend a room with a terrace which is large and has 2 lounge chairs. Breakfast is included in room rate and it was good.

Service at hotel is top notch. The front desk basically served as my travel agency. When I elected to extend my stay they contacted airline and changed my flights. Hotel Portixol was booked for a couple nights so they booked me a room at another hotel (at a better rate than I found online). They also assisted with changing a reservation at their sister hotel (Esplendido).

After a night a heavy partying I came in and asked the night clerk if there was any food available. I was hoping for some chips or something. Much to my surprise he offered to cook me a ham sandwich and bring it to my room. I really though he was joking. However, about 15 minutes later he showed up at my room the the promised sandwich.

The crowd is mostly Scandinavian. The location is just outside of Palma. One advantage in staying here versus one of hotels in Palma is parking. Portixol offers free parking. Parking in Palma is quite expensive (up to 25 euros per night) and a walk from hotels. There are several restaurants and beaches within walking distance from hotel. Pool was fairly crowded primarily with couples and families. I did not have dinner at hotel, but the lunch (sushi) was very good.

Overall, I highly recommend Portixol Hotel as well as Mallorca.

Room Tip: Worth extra money to get room with view
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank RazorsEdge
Reviewed 14 July 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed eight nights at the Portixol in June 2011. The hotel was everything we expected and more. The hotel is absolutely spotless, well-decorated, and the staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. We stayed in the Attico room, which has its own amazing terrace looking out over the harbor.

The hotel staff helped us plan activities and restaurants in Majorca. We rented the hotel's Ford Mustang for one day and drove around the island, which was a great way to spend a day. We also visited several beaches in the area and of course walked around downtown. At the end of the day, it was so nice to come home to the Portixol to relax.

The location is great as it's not directly in the hustle and bustle of downtown Palma, but easily accessible by walking, bike, bus, or taxi.

This is a fabulous boutique hotel. Don't hesitate about booking here.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mtait
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Stayed here for one night after a week in the north of Mallorca. Hotel is located next to a small Marina and has a great relaxed atmosphere. Very nicely decorated throughout and pool area is good.

On arrival we received an upgrade to port view with terrace which was amazing. The room was a great size with nice touches.

Really nice hotel to chill out in and the food was great too.

Would definitely go back!

• Stayed: June 2011