“Great hotel.. Just poor service.. Excellent if the service improved.”

TRYP Palma Bellver Hotel
Ranked #28 of 73 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
newcastle
“Great hotel.. Just poor service.. Excellent if the service improved.”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

First of all the good bits...

Great location on the marina, yes it's a 10-15 minute walk into the centre but the walk is littered with great bars and restaurants... Shamrock and Hogans within 2 minutes which are typical Tourist bars... Another 2 Mins and you have Hard Rock Cafe... In between these you have any amount of choice to eat or drink, most of which are traditional and very nice Spanish owned and ran stop offs..

Good Tapas next to the shamrock and apologies, I can't recall the names of any but I don't think you can go wrong.. 6 nights, 6 really nice meals..

Pool area fine, a little small and by 11am most sun lounges were taken, you didn't mind as unlike other places... There were people actually sat on them..

Room was fine, great sea view but was a 20 euro per night upgrade.. We only did this as on check in (early at 11am) the room wasn't ready and we didn't want to have to leave bags, go out... Come back etc to check in..

Speaking of checking in... Painful... After a ten minute wait it was our turn.. The guy on reception was ok but he had to manually key in all details such as name, address, date of birth etc... Why? I travel all round the world and never stand there while they do all of this...

Be warned reference the sea view... This was our second stay at the hotel as we like a pool when away and this is one of only a handful in Palma that have one... Best price basically out of the bunch... Paid around 460 for 6 nights which we got with breakfast... Shop around as other companies were wanting 600 plus and they were comparison websites..

Checkout... Another wait... Systems down... All they can tell me is that I owe 166 euros... I acknowledged that 120 was room upgrade. Refused to pay the extra until I could be told what it was for.. No chance, card already charged and a copy of the receipt waiting for me..

It turns out it was for bottles of water, we drank 12 small bottles as on check in we were told sea view upgrade came with two bottles of complimentary water per day. I asked for a copy of the invoice to be e mailed which it was.. It showed 12 bottles of water at 2 euro each, 22 euros? So why was my bill not 148? The shop next door sells large bottles for 1 euro so why would I drink the hotels?

E mailed hotel twice with my bill query but no response. Bet they wish they had just charged me 4000 euros just for a laugh.. You just can't get in touch with them so shutting your systems down, charging everyone 20 euro extra is quite a money spinner..

It's a shame as great hotel, great location, great city just be warned reference the check in and out plus the extras that may be charged..

Ooo and great breakfast...
Get the service right, first class..

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephendon32

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok
Reviewed 10 August 2012

The hotel is well placed for the city of Palma. The old town with its lovely bars and cafes is a pleasant 20 minutes walk away. Nearby there are plenty of good restaurants and cafes from cheap and cheerful to stylish. Music bars for the young are near too. Check in was quick and easy with friendly staff. I'd recommend upgrading to a sea view. The room was a decent size, the marble bathroom clean and well appointed. Some reviews have criticised air conditioning and traffic noise. However our AC worked beautifully. I'm very sensitive to noise and was never troubled by any - from either outside or inside the hotel. We went to a nearby cafe for simple breakfasts at €2.50 so can't comment on the hotel offering.
The pool isn't large but is clean and there are plenty of loungers for views of the marina and spectacular cathedral. If you have a car the hotel is well placed for exploring the island and parking spaces can be found in the side streets behind the hotel. Overall not an amazing place visually or stylishly but a good solid offering for the money. We'd stay again.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank TVexecLondon
Battle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel last week for 4 nights, from the 2nd Aug-5th Aug. The hotel reception decor was pleasant but had a strong smell of damp. We had booked our mini break through Lastminute.com, we had paid for a premium room but upon check in we were given a standard room, we showed the receptionist our booking confirmation but she told us we would have to contact Lastminute when we returned to UK as she had us on her system as a standard room. The receptionist was not interested in helping us, she just kept on saying if we wanted to upgrade we could at extra cost.

We have stayed at many 4 star hotels but this hotel in our eyes should be classed as 2 stars. The bed in our room was a cheap £50.00 IKEA thin lumpy old mattress, and the hotel is based on a main road and the road noise is constant so very little sleep. The hotel food and drink is overpriced for the quality of the food you receive. On a plus the hotel is based near plenty of good restaurants and the marina is a beautiful place to have a lovely meal. We love Palma but this hotel will not be on our list again, can only give it a maximum 3/10 and that really is being kind!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2greatdanes
London, UK
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I stayed for one night only in July. I arrived shortly before 12 noon and was lucky enough to be given a room straight away. The lobby area was spacious and there was also free wifi in the public area. The check in process was straight forward and the staff was friendly and helpful.

My room was on the high floor with a balcony. I had a great marina view. The room was clean and spacious. My bed was comfortable. The air conditioning was working well and I certainly needed it when I was there. The bathroom however was a bit disappointing. They had the 'all-in-one shampoo and shower gel' squeezy bottle attached to the wall, perhaps as a cost-cutting measure. That somehow reminded me of low cost motel and certainly cheapened the image of this hotel.

Breakfast was good and with great variety. The pool was small for the size of the hotel and was crowded. However, it did offer a fantastic marina view.

There was an unpleasant issue with my stay. I had arranged with the hotel for a chauffeur driven car and paid fully for it the day before check out. However, this failed to turn up on time. The reception staff was reluctant to chase it up for me on my request. Only after my insistence after waiting for 10 minutes, she made a phone call and discovered that the car company had not sent a car. There seemed to be some communication breakdown. I then requested for a refund and took a taxi instead. By that time, I was 20 minutes late. I understand that it probably was not the fault of the hotel. However, I expected the hotel to use a reputable car company and act on behalf of its guests on request. Afterall, I paid a premium for that service.

In summary, this is a good business hotel, despite the car problem. The best selling point for this hotel in my opinion is its close proximity to the old town (10 minutes pleasant stroll along the marina).

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DrET
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

good location,room was lovely and modern with a great view but a crap peeled brick balcony that didnt feel very relaxing.. did like the fruit and cocktail left tho for my birthday and the pool was a good sun trap... hire a bike the cycle paths go on for miles along the coast into little coastal villages and harbours!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Worsley, Greater Manchester
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We stayed for one night having travelled from the north of the island. We had some business to do in Palma and were disappointed that our room was not ready when we arrived at 12.45 as the hotel advertises check in at 12 noon. This meant we had to go to our business meeting without the benefit of freshening up in our room. Hotel please note 12 noon check in should mean 12 noon check in! However, when we returned we found the room to be spacious, clean and comfortable. The pool area is good with a fantastic view of the marina. We found drinks in the bar to be reasonably priced and the breakfast was really excellent. A very good short stay hotel despite the room allocation problem.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Stayed for 5 nights at the end of July. Excellent hotel would highly recommend. Great location in front of Marina . Rooms are large , comfortable beds with large bathroom. Pool area overlooking Marina and is in a sunny aspect. Breakfast is excellent great variety and quality, had dinner in the restaurant, excellent Paella . Staff were very helpful . I agree with other reviews regarding the balcony it is very low and it would be easy to climb between rooms. I would definately stay there again and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The Marina view rooms are definately worth the extra charge with views of the cathedral.