“The little Oasis you're looking for!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Puro Hotel

Puro Hotel
Ranked #30 of 73 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
Zurich, Switzerland
“The little Oasis you're looking for!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed at Puro with a good friend during a week in july. The room was spacious and clean, room cleaning happened whenever we went out of the room, which guaranteed an always fully stocked mini-bar and water. The hotels very own restaurant was fantastic and of high quality. The staff was very friendly and very helpful at all time! We will definitely go back and enjoy a wonderful stay at Puro, Mallorca.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

PuroHotel, Director General at Puro Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Let me thank you for taking the time to provide us with your lovely feedback. Special thanks for pointing out our spacious rooms and our fantastic Opio Restaurant. I will forward your kind words to my colleagues who are always more than happy to help you. Have you also tried our relaxing spa services?
Please do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit, it would be a pleasure to welcome you again at Puro Hotel.
All the best,
Miguel Barceló

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Nottingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at Puro Hotel for a week in July and were really looking forward to it. Given how much it cost (stayed in 'Junior Suite' nearly 2k GBP between us), I was expecting a good time, yet I was disappointed. Having worked in Hospitality previously for the Jumeirah Group I understand a thing or two about service. Service isn't about big gestures, it's just about getting the small things right, Puro really needs to think about some of the small things if it's going to charge the rates it does. Here are the small things that pulled the service at Puro right down.
First example - The Room
Maybe because we booked through Travel Republic at a cheaper rate we got a different type of Junior Suite; the one we stayed in definitely wasn't the Junior Suite off the photo on the Puro Hotel website. The bathroom was on a mezzanine and the bedroom downstairs, it was a corner room and without a tape measure I can't be sure but it didn't feel like it was the same proportions as described, the mezzanine also created an incredibly sharp corner just about eye level waiting for you to smash your head on as you got out of bed in the dark. The curtain was hanging off the wall and the TV turned on, and then wouldn't turn over or off. Annoyingly, it just played the 'Puro Intro' music over and over. Once reported to Reception, within the hour the curtain and TV were fixed by a very smiley, lovely maintenance guy. But, should we have seen these issues in the first place?
The TV equipment - The Puro CD's are good however they are very similar to each other and so we were pleased that we'd had the foresight to take our iPad with our music on. We knew from the hotel website that we could plug our iPad into the TV thus playing our own music. Sadly, the TV equipment hasn't been updated with iPhone / iPad 5 adapters. The day before we left we overheard another guest discussing this very point with someone who worked in the hotel; they told the guest that adapters were available at the reception. The guest pointed out that there was no notice in the room to advise of this, which was true however we were just happy we could play something else except the same music we'd listened to all week. We went to reception, they didn't have one; they only had iPhone 4 adapters?!?!
Finally in room WiFi - in the room we stayed in, if we sat on the top step and angled our phones towards the door, we would be able to connect. Once off the top step and into the actual room, we could not connect to the WiFi. Maybe this was because our room was right at the corner of the hotel, but the promise of in-room WiFi needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Puro Beach Booking - I think this actually was the one thing that tipped me over the edge to write a review (this is the first review I've ever written). I'd heard that Puro Beach gets busy and it's best to book in advance, therefore I'd had booked the day after we'd arrived to go. We went, it was good, had a lovely day. The taxi service there and back is brilliant and the driver is really lovely. A couple of days later we thought we'd go again, so we got on the moped and drove down there. When we arrived we explained that we were from the hotel and wanted to join them for the day. They said that the only bed they had left we had to spend at least 500 Euros if we wanted it and were incredibly inflexible. We rang the hotel surely thinking it was a mistake that they couldn't accommodate their own hotel guests but alas no, it wasn't a mistake. We asked to book for the next day, it was fully booked. The lady at the beach club suggested at this time of year we should book at least one week in advance?!?! We got on our moped and drove to Nikki Beach, who were very accommodating, where we spent 240 Euros between us anyway. Puro could have had that 240 Euros if they had just thought about how they were going to treat their own hotel guests that day. I know that wouldn't have happened at Jumeirah or any of the other hotels I've stayed at. Was this my fault for not booking ahead? Probably! Do I want to sit at home the week before I go on holiday and plan each and every day? No! Could they have done ‘something’ for us? Yes, if they had wanted to, they could have!
Concierge Service- Puro is a boutique hotel and so reception should act as concierge. I'm not sure that they’re actually aware that they should be acting as concierge. Some examples… We asked where we could hire a moped, after some debate it was agreed that we 'might' be able to hire one from the push bike shop on the front. We asked where we could park a moped, we were told we couldn't park it anyway round the hotel, with no other suggestion (incidentally we parked it outside the main reception door all week with no issue or request to move it). We asked for a map of the island, after some rummaging around in a drawer I was given a map of where all the hospitals are on the island, and unless that was a hint because I was driving a moped I would assume that it was just because they're not set up appropriately to offer these services. Am I expecting too much...I don't think I am, I expect the hotel I’m staying at to help me out when I need helping.
Finally, I think the final thing to mention... and it might seem silly but I come back to my earlier point about service being about the small things. The rooftop sun beds… We went up there one afternoon, there were no towels in the rack to lie on, so I picked the phone up that said they'd be with me straight away - it rang out 6 times over the course of 20 minutes, no answer, so I went down to reception and got my own towel. I only mention this because this is small thing to put right and Puro could deal with this really easily… put towels up there for their hotel guests and answer the phone when it rings (or even remove the towel racks and phone so not setting an expectation that they can’t meet).
So what was good? Well, the breakfast is great, I was really surprised at the range and quality, the scrambled eggs beautiful! The bar staff were awesome... real barmen who remembered your name and your drink from the night before and took the time to stand and have a chat with you. The maintenance man...great guy, very handy. The maids... always really happy and chatty and the room was always cleaned well.
Puro Hotel COULD be awesome. It feels like in a bid to be Uber-Cool it’s just forgotten some of the basics of good service. I won’t be going back.

4 Thank SkelNottingham
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at Puro for 3 nights over the weekend. The hotel is fab, the rooms are well sized and they provide everything you could need. However it was the staff that were the real stand out of the weekend, Miguel and Fabrizio were exceptional and made the weekend what it was.

The roof top is a great bonus if you don't want to have to travel to the busier part of town.

It's in a great location too, right near the shops and a short taxi ride to Puro Beach Club which is a must as part of your stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
PuroHotel, Director General at Puro Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Milli,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your lovely feedback, we are really glad to read that you had a memorable stay at Puro. Special thanks for pointing out our central location, spacious, well-equipped rooms, the rooftop terrace with Balinese beds as well as the relaxing Puro Beach Club. I am pleased about your positive comments regarding to my professional colleagues, I will forward your kind words to them. We look forward to seeing you again soon and wish you all the best until then.

Kindest regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed here recently and chose this as a last minute summer break and it didn't dissappoint. In a fantastic location in the middle of Old Palma near the Cathedral with incredible restaurants - although you could eat in the hotels restaurant as the food was super there!

The transfers to the beach club were great and the drivers they used where superb, always happy to help and interested in how we were. Purobeach was beautiful but make sure you book in advance to make sure you get a space.

Overall the experience was fantastic at the hotel - Clean rooms, lovely sun deck, great breakfasts. But what really made this place unique was the friendly staff who were always more than happy to help. In particular the bar and restaurant staff (I wish I could rememeber their names!) who made a welcoming environment even till late into the night when the bar was bustling with people.

We will definitely return to this relaxing oasis, it was exactly what we needed!

1 Thank Injy R
PuroHotel, Director General at Puro Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your memorable experiences at Puro Hotel with TripAdvisor readers. We are happy to read that you enjoyed your last minute breakaway in Palma and found our hotel services, Opio Restaurant and location fantastic. I will forward your kind words to my great colleagues who are always more than happy to help you. Have you tried our relaxing Spa services as well?
Please come back soon, it would be a pleasure for us to welcome you again at Puro.

Southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for four nights in July. The hotel is good and well situated for the historic sights and great restaurants. We stayed in a Junior Suite which was a good size and had a mezzanine floor where the bed was. My only complaints was that the aircon was particularly effective so we had to open the one small window we had which meant we then heard the bar and dj noise from below us and given we had a 4am alarm call for flight was not ideal. We also would've liked some chairs / sofa to sit on give that this was a suite and had the room. Instead we had this beanbag on the floor which was too low even for two 30-something's!

We used the roof terrace both on hotel and spa but as other guests have commented these areas are tired now - even the jacuzzi had bits of tile missing.

Other guests have commented on the good breakfasts - maybe it was us but we were slightly underwhelmed. Not only by the choice - there was a little bit of everything to be fair but just didn't quite tick the boxes - but also by the restaurant staff. In comparison to the reception staff who were fantastic and couldn't do enough for you, the restaurant staff did not speak to us once - not even to say good morning or can we show you to a table!

We also used the free shuttle to Puro beach which is great if you can get availability - we were there just as the hotel was getting to full capacity and I can imagine demand for this service will be greater than availability as we had to wait until the 12.30 service to go. But can high recommend the beach club for afternoon / lunch.

Overall although it sounds like lots of complaints I still liked this hotel - the layout, design was great, nice atmosphere and location perfect. If they were to just spend a little money updating in places and maybe training the restaurant staff to the same customer service levels as the reception team it could be great.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank claireybel54
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, we are pleased that you had an overall great experience at Puro. Special thanks for pointing out our location in the historic area of Palma, the spacious room, as well as the Puro Beach with complimentary shuttle service. We take into account your feedback. We will be glad to welcome you soon at Puro.

All the best,
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Enjoyed the extended weekend. Friendly helpful staff. Great breakfast and food. The rooms and furniture are nice but have seen their best days, refridgerator did not provide the cool one would expect in a high class room. The sunbeds on top of the roof needs some TLC. Location is perfect with easy access to great restaurants and museums in central Palma. Would love to return but I feel the rooms need to be updated

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Stefan J
PuroHotel, Director General at Puro Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback about your recent stay at Puro Hotel. We are happy to read that you were satisfied with our spacious room, full buffet breakfast, and could easily reach the major sights, museums and fine restaurants of Palma from the hotel. I will forward your kind words to my professional colleagues. Thank you for writing us your notice, we will take it into account in order to improve our services. We hope we will have the chance to welcome you again in the near future at Puro.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We loved everything about this hotel. The room was very clean and spacious. The lobby bar was a great place to start the evening. The food was fantastic.
Located right in the heart of the old city, the hotel is surrounded by excellent restaurants and bars. Definitely a hotel for couples.
All the staff were very friendly and helpful.
Make sure to visit the Puro Beach Club!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nissoi
PuroHotel, Director General at Puro Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding to your recent stay at Puro Hotel. We are glad to read that you had a joyful stay and were satisfied with the spacious room, our Opio Restaurant, central location and services. Special thanks for recommending Puro Beach Club to our future guests. We are looking forward to welcoming you soon again at Puro Hotel.

Best regards,