“Lovely boutique hotel but it favours design over practicality”
Review of HM Balanguera

HM Balanguera
Ranked #11 of 74 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed here to celebrate my Mum's 60th Birthday with her and my two sisters and we all loved the hotel as soon as we walked into the bright, modern, fresh-scented reception\lounge area.

We had requested quiet rooms away from the street and the lift and were given 305 and 306 which were both away from the main road. There was no noise from outside apart from the occasional dog barking although there was noise from the other rooms - mainly furniture scraping and doors banging but I wore earplugs at night which helped.

306 was bigger and lighter than the other one but it did have a shower that opened directly into the room so there was no privacy whereas 305 had a combined shower and toilet room. The shower itself was good though - lots of pressure and plenty of hot water.

What let the hotel down was that the design seemed more important than the practicalities of staying there. There was no where to hang long dresses or trousers as the hangers were all above a shelf and were the type that you can't remove from the rails to hang elsewhere. In 306 the window was over the bed so with the shutters open you couldn't sit up in bed. The design of the window and shutter handles also meant I got my knuckles scraped every time I opened the window and as soon as the wind got up the shutters would bang closed. At breakfast most of the tables were low so you either had to lean right over or have the plates etc on your lap.

There were no clocks in the room, no spy-holes to see who is at on the door (I had someone banging on mine, I assumed it was my sister but when I opened it it was someone who had got the wrong room) and it would have been really good to have hot drink making facilities in the rooms.

The staff were helpful, the breakfast was excellent - (I loved the yoghurts!) and the location was fine although there is no where to eat nearby.

The thing that really spoiled our stay was that the pool was not in use for the four days we were there - it was one of the main reasons we had chosen the hotel. My mum and one sister arrived first - after getting up at 3 am for their flight and travelling they were really looking forward to cooling off in the pool and spending the day in and around it waiting for my other sister and I to arrive. We had planned to go out every day and come back for a dip in the pool before dinner and were really disappointed that we couldn't do this.

We did spend some time on the terrace though and although it was a nice area, the white leather furnishings could do with cleaning. It was also annoying that in the recessed seating areas there were speakers that blasted irritating music straight into your ears - not very relaxing! You also had to go all the way back down to reception if you needed the toilet as there was not one up there.

Overall though we liked the hotel and I would recommend it as it is stylish with a pleasant ambiance.

Room Tip: 306 is big, bright and airy and away from the street but it does have a shower that opens directly i...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank voyager50

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I really enjoyed the design of this hotel. The rooms are nice size and very clean. Breakfast was excellent and location of the hotel is perfect. Short walk to the marina and shops.
I absolutely loved the rooftop terrace with the small pool.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Raisa B
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We enjoy city break weekends and this was no exception. Clean lines, modern approach this is one of the better hotels. Just a short distance from the shops and marina, Palma holds a lot of cards and we had a truly special time here. Well priced, good service, in fact all the positive Euro values we love. Highly recommended for all.

1  Thank Lional D
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The room was clean and nicely arranged, lovely area on roof to relax by the very small pool, breakfast was a nice selection that included some hot items. Location was not as far removed as it appeared to be on the map. We walked everywhere.
When I read the reviews there were some cautions about the traffic noise that could be heard in the rooms. I requested a room on a higher floor and was put on the 4th. The traffic could be heard but was not unbearable. What I wasn't prepared for was the way the noise carried from other rooms. When people in the room above moved around it was loud, I don't know if it was the room beside but I heard the tv going half the night, conversations were loud and unfortunately the spitting in the shower was too clear.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2014

If you like small hotels with great service, and hate the so-called 'Betten Burgen' then this is a good choice. I loved the style of the rooms, eg. the basin made of a big red rock piece.
Breakfast was great, however I more like small tables - they only have big ones - especially a huge one in the breakfast room.
Spotless rooms, polite stuff speaking good English.
Reasonable price, good value.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Perfect hotel!
Well designed, cleaned, well located, nice breakfast...
What else could i ask? Nice Staff.
Well, the staff are responsible for a show.
Joan, Maria Jose, Christian and Dobraneva....
Without your help our trip would not be the same.
Thank you very much for everything.
I hope to return soon.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a long weekend away to palma. The hotel itself is very stylish and modern with lots of cool little touches such as the huge lightbulb lamps and the minimalist decor. Staff are very friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was a buffet style with lots of choice. The rooftop terrace with little pool is a great place to spend an hour after a day's sight seeing. The stroll into town is about 10-15 minutes which suited us. We had a lovely stay is Palma and wouldn't hesitate to return to this hotel another time.

Room Tip: Ask for a high up room if traffic noise bothers you. We did and got the top floor!