“Do not stay here, they steal your money and are rude”

Portals Palace Hotel
Ranked #69 of 73 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
“Do not stay here, they steal your money and are rude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

I recently stayed here. We accidentally damaged a bed sheet advised the cleaner who said it doesn't matter. A month later they have charged 500 euros to my card and will not respond to e mails or calls. When I called reception they advised the manager doesn't care about the charges and isn't bothered about his reputation as a hotel owner.

I have e mailed every few days for the last three weeks and have yet to receive an answer. I will continue to seek a refund but be warned.....do not trust this hotel

• Stayed June 2013
9 Thank Fffhhfgh

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

Stayed for a week in mid May 2013.

View was great but make sure your up high with a sea view or its the car park view for you.

Falsely lured by the computer generated images on various websites that seemed to suggest a new hotel, rather than a cheaply refurbished old people's home.

Locations great, pool cafe staff were great too but that's about it

They charge €5 A DAY to use the safe in your room!!

"Can I borrow an iron please?"

No sir, hand us your item and we'll get our underpaid and overworked cleaning lady to do it for you....

For €15 AN ITEM!?!

I kid you not!!

Thanks for that then.

It would seem the owners ran out of funds mid way through and are now trying to recoup with needless extra charges that just leave a bitter taste to be honest.

When questioned on these extra costs the two "delightful" reception girls simply giggle at each other and let you know it's not their fault.

Breakfast was pretty poor too

Overall, ill stick with the Marina Portals thanks and I suggest you do the same

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank Bournemouth1234
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stayed BB for 4 nights and booked this through teletext holidays which inc Ryanair flights from Liverpool at a total cost of £440 (£110 per night inc flights and breakfast).
Was a bit nervous after some negativity on other reviews . I sent an email requesting a sea view and preferably a high up room and received a reply basically saying you'll get what your given from the receptionist !!
This despite my mentioning the fact that I was coming over to organise a wedding for 70 guests next including hotel accommodation.!!! We won't be staying here !!

Sun beds-no problem but to be fair the place was empty
area is nice tho around the pool

Food--only stayed bed and breakfast and glad was very unimpressed with what was on offer and the Breakfast chef needs some lessons in Customer Service and perhaps occasionally SMILE . If your staying half or full board be aware you might be eating on your own as nobody seems to bother !

Rooms-- This was an old people's home in a past life and it still has some furniture that confirms that.
Our room was very spacious and had everything we required the bed was very comfortable. Didn't bother with a safe due to other reviews indicating thefts.

Overall all we did was sleep there didn't see ANY entertainment whatsoever,and we ate out every night

A tired and dated hotel much better quality available in this area so cannot recommend
I

Room Tip: As high as possible 7 floors and ask for sea view Make sure no fire escape
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank engulfed
Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

This hotel re-opened on 1st May this year so is in its first season - hence not all rooms booked. We had bed and breakfast and a room looking towards the hills which was cool in the morning but had evening sun which suited us on our return from days out. The breakfast is excellent - plenty of choice including egg and bacon or omelettes freshly cooked by a chef who could be off the set from Pirates of the Caribbean! The room was newly decorated and well furnished with a spacious walk-in shower. All the staff were very friendly and dealt with any requests promptly and efficiently. There is a quite adequate pool and children's pool and poolside bar for snacks and drinks. There was no evening entertainment and the bar always seemed quiet. This suited us as we ate out and enjoyed the peaceful setting.

The beach is 10 -15 minutes walk away down hill and then down steps straight onto sandy beach - a small cove with a nice beach bar at the far end. Safe bathing and there is windsurfing and canoeing at the other end of beach. Restaurants 5 minutes away on main street.The Ship is a good Brit bar for sport on tv. There is a bustling Italian restaurant and quieter Spanish/Italian Restaurant Casa Paco which has a good menu.

We hired a car but 2 buses go to Palma. A trip well worth taking is the 100yr old train from Palma to Soler and then the tram to Port Soler for lunch overlooking the port. For a bit of culture visit the Miro Foundation up the hill in the middle of Cala Major. Not easy to find but well worth a visit - it has a cafe and shop after you've looked at the pictures and sculptings and the graffiti - was Banksy inspired by this?

We enjoyed our stay and plan to return again off season.

Room Tip: hill view rooms cooler. .
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Active0ldies
In the sticks
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

After booking with Monarch Hotels to stay at this hotels and being a little concerned with the previous two reviews, I arrived early evening with my voucher to be told initially that I was due the previous night. I showed the receptionist my booking voucher and she claimed that she had never heard of Monarch and my booking was not in the system. The only thing that she was prepared to do was charge me 90 euro's a night without breakfast and then I could sort it out with Monarch the following morning.

The hotel is dark and I did go to a sea view room but found it so stark and the lift is horrendous. The general atmosphere of this hotel is dull and lifeless with little help for our situation. Luckily, I did find alternative much better accommodation at Marina Portals and have been advised that Monarch did confirm with Portals Palace about my booking so they hopefully will not be using this hotel again. To leave guests stranded is a very unsettling experience and I feel the hotel is very inexperienced with customer service. The location is quite good although not if you have limited mobility but I would advise that you stay elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank GigglerInthesticks

Travellers are raving about these Palma de Mallorca hotels

Wigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

The night we arrived at the 4-star Portals Palace, in the first hour of our visit, I just knew I would be writing a review on this hotel; and I knew that review would be dreadful! However, I was so taken aback with this place, it has taken me 3 weeks to work out how to even make a start. So much is wrong with the Portals Palace.

Let's start with the 4-star rating. FOUR STARS! Just how on Earth can this place display and advertise a 4-star rating? I assume there's no regulated system of control that administers ratings. If there is then someone with a briefcase and clip-board needs to pay a visit and issue a cease and desist notice. To be clear, this is NOT a 4-star hotel. It is a very poor 2-star… at best!

We booked a 4-star hotel. Shame on Travel Republic for advertising it as a 4-star hotel. That's who we booked it with. That said, EVERY other booking website lists the same rating and the same false description. Shame on them all.

You might say, well, look at the hotel's website photos, they don't look so clever, what did you expect? Well, when I made the booking those pictures didn't exist. In fact the various booking websites all listed some very nice photos of what appeared to be modern and stylish rooms. I've posted some examples… these were all lies. Shame on everyone involved in this misdirection.

So… where do I really start this review? Here goes:

Our party was five people - my wife, teenage son and I in one room - our daughter and her fiancé in another.

Got to our room - keycard would not work.
So I went back to reception - got a new keycard.
Returned to room - keycard still did not work.
Went back to reception - called for Porter.
Returned to room - Porter used his master keycard to open the door.
We entered our room.

I, my wife and our teenage son found ourselves staring at just the one bed.
So I went back to reception - "We only have one bed!"
Receptionist: "Are you sure?"
"A-ha, pretty sure."
Due to the time of day (after 11pm) the Receptionist and Porter decided to allocate us an alternative room.
So I returned upstairs once again with the Porter and we moved our luggage to a new room - this was a suite with 2 bedrooms and 3 beds.
We were happy with this, we thanked the Porter and breathed our relief. We'd arrived.

We then started to make little discoveries…

We had lamps arranged around the room. So we tried to switch them on.
The first thing to notice is that they don't all have bulbs - this seems a bit of an oversight. Until, that is, you notice the lamp isn't plugged in and, in fact, is situated nowhere near a mains socket.

The bathroom was large, but very badly lit. In the ceiling, besides the one functional spotlight there is another lamp glass which appears to be painted red - it's intended function remains a mystery.

The plug-hole in the bath was corroded, the room number is still visibly written large in pencil on the sink basin, the bath shower-screen didn't quite fit flush to the top of the bath and produced a dangerous puddle on the tiled floor each time someone had a shower.

Into the bedroom. The rail in the wardrobe was fitted far too close to the rear which meant nothing could be hung without it having to be twisted almost sideways. Laughably there was a coat-hook screwed upside down to the inside of the wardrobe door - useless!

The bed was rock-hard, but as it happens wasn't too uncomfortable to sleep in. The pillow was odd though. In fact it wasn't a pillow, it was a huge long single bed-divider with a pillowcase on each end. Ingenious, I've never seen that before.

Our daughter's room experience was equally shambolic. They enjoyed one single working mains power socket in the entire room. The plumbing in the bathroom was installed incorrectly - hot taps ran cold, cold taps ran hot. Tolerable, of course, once you work it out, but… when you flush the toilet and it literally steams… well… yes!

So to the rest of the hotel. Comically it seems the hotel actually has an obsession with occasional lamps even in the public areas. These are arranged in exactly the same fashion as those in the bedrooms. Few fitted with bulbs and even fewer actually positioned anywhere near a plug socket. Often you could see the mains cables of the lamps coiled neatly around the base or the stand of the lamp.

The lift looks like it is close to breaking down. The LED number indicator for the floors is faulty and the service certificate affixed to the wall clearly shows that it hasn't been inspected for years!

Have I mentioned that this establishment is advertised proudly as a FOUR STAR hotel!?

We had booked half-board. I wouldn't say the food was horrendous in the hotel, but I would categorise it as sadly disappointing. We gave up eating there after a few occasions and paid to eat elsewhere. We had no real hygiene concerns, but again, comically, issues such as holes in the dining room ceiling and the dessert specials all laid out on display in front of all the electricity circuit-breaker boxes really didn't tempt you to keep coming back.

All the hotel staff were in fact very pleasant and friendly, even the omelette chef, who looked like he'd just stepped out of the galley on Bluto's ship, was actually a nice friendly guy.

The pool area is an odd place; not really very inviting - a strange graveyard collection of (I think) ice machines stacked in the corner of the grounds.

The windows in the stairwell also don't add any grandeur to the place. Rather they indicate the rather true tired state of what is only a partially and very poorly refurbished building.

I have some worrying safety concerns too. The doors to the stairwell appear, to me, to be fire safety doors - the sort that should be closed to prevent the spread of fire. In the Portals Palace they are wedged open wide with little blocks of wood. Maybe this is fine, maybe they're not fire doors. That might be the case, but why these same doors are fitted with automated release catches (also obviously non-functional) does raise questions. Whatever - like much of the hotel, it certainly doesn't look good.

I'm not sure what could be done with the Portals Palace. Clearly the new owner/proprietor has had to spend money to get this hotel open, but what is more clear is that their budget for this fell woefully short of what was really required. The stars on the sign outside the building and especially those carried on all the booking websites need urgent revision. I am not overstating the fact that this is seriously misleading, dishonest and corrupt advertising! Shame on the Portals Palace!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Bolton66
lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

4 night stay 18 may - Myself and partner booked this from seeing artist impression pictures with not a lot of info, i guessed with a rating of a 4 star the hotel would be fine. We only had a short night break for 4 nights. We arrived at hotel at 1130am and reception advised our room was not ready so we headed to the pool bar which was basic but did the job. We was then showed to our room we had asked for a double room- the room we was given wasnt double and the patio door did not lock. We asked to change room and was advised we could have a suite but with no view. We accepted the suite and had to wait for the room to be cleaned. Not sure why as we hadnt seen one other guest at this point! Our suite was lovely room 407 very large sitting area and huge king size bed ( very hard) with double patio doors. However not a great view. The bathroom was large with nice shower. We never ate in the hotel as we were room only and we only ever had tea from the bar to take to our room ( 5 euros for 2 teas)!! During our stay never saw one person in the bar it was very dark area and lacked any atmosphere not sure if this is because it hadnt got going yet, the bar shut at 10pm.The bar staff and reception staff were polite and always said hello. The hotel and our suite was very clean and the cleaner came every day. I think the hotel is quite a old fashioned 'spanish' style decor.
The hotel is located in quite a residential area of Portals nous,5 min walk from the marina - not very flat and maybe a struggle for anyone with walking difficulties. Also 5 min walk from Portals village where we ate in the evenings. A taxi to Palma Nova is 6 euros and taxi to airport was 30 euros. Loved the area we would probably stay at the hotel again maybe in a few months when the hotel has found its feet. Best part was sitting on the marina in the afternoon people watching with a sangria!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 7 in Portals Nous
Hotel RD Mar de Portals
Hotel RD Mar de Portals
#6 of 7 in Portals Nous

Been to Portals Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!