Firstly the good bits. This hotel is very close to the beach, it is clean, well maintained, pleasantly and tastefully decorated, affordable and most of the staff are helpfull and friendly.
The problem : We stayed at this hotel for the last night of a 4 day girls getaway. On arrival we notice a very nice menu that catered for veggies well. One of our group had had 3 days of fairly limited cuisine (Spain is not known for is Vegetarian ways) and therefore with this in mind and the added fact that we were all a little tired we decided to return to Palma Old town and fetch out friends that were not staying with us so that we could enjoy a meal at the hotel and retire early to bed.
Having trapsed out to get the other half of the party we returned to the bar and decided to order a few Gin and Tonics. A surly looking receptionist came over to the bar and when I asked for said G & T he said 'we only have beer and wine' Seeing a pletora of spirits behind him on the shelf, I thought this odd, cast a confused glance at my friends and asked about the Bombay Saphire behind him. Without smiling he said 'no. I don't do cocktails. I'm a receptionist, there is no bar staff tonight'. 'Okay,' I replied, 'but it's not really a cocktail, it's just Gin and then Tonic?" to which he replies (I kid you not) 'Look, I can do beer or wine, do want any help or not?'
Shocked and taken aback (I work in hospitality myself) I replied that we'd better have some beers them.
Next my friend enquired as to what time the hotel restaurant opened. We were then informed that it was shut tonight as there was no chef. When we asked why he told us (irritably it has to be said) that it was too quiet to open the restaurant.
Now, I understand the princible behind this, like I said, I work in hospitality. But if you are shutting the hotel restaurant, then why in heavens name would you have a freestanding board advertising the menu by the entrance?
The final blow came later when we saw one of our friends off - she was staying behind as she works on the Super Yachts and we will not be seeing her for a year now. One of our party hugged her goodbye as she left the Lobby to get into a taxi and she had tears in her eyes. Normal, you might think...I certainly did. However our friend on reception, the anti spirits/liqueurs chappy thought it was hilarious, he chuckled away to himself AND (as I type this I am half laughing myself, it is so unbelievable!!) he made mock eye rubbing moments and boo hooing sounds whilst shaking his head?!!!
Honestly it was the most bizarre display of hospitality I have ever witnessed! His name we found out later is Ben.
The receptionist that checked us in and checked us out was quite the opposite, she was lovely and her name is Davina.
One final note - we paid extra for breakfast, and it was around £6.00 I think. The breakfast offered in the morning was just cereals fruit and bread. I thought it a bit steep for a cold buffet. I have noticed other reviews that mention hot pancakes, however we wondered if the chef was still off because it was so quiet. I don't think standards should slip simply because a hotel is not full to capacity!
Verdict ; Go. It's a nice hotel, in every respect bar the odd behavior of Ben, just make sure if you are planning on spending the evening chilling at the hotel that you check everything is open.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- UR Portofino**** The UR Portofino Hotel is situated in the area of Ciudad Jardin, one of the closest beaches to the city of Palma de Mallorca. Its strategic location near the airport and few minutes away from the city, make it a perfect combination of functionality and comfort. The Bay of Palma is famous for the practice of aquatic sports such as windsurfing, stand up paddle, kayaking, sailing, etc.. Around the hotel, you can rent the necessary equipment for the practice of them. A total of 66 rooms make up this beautiful and comfortable hotel, which has been decorated in a pure contemporary style. An exterior swimming pool as well as free wireless Internet access in all areas of the building and a free safety deposit box in the room are also some of the services available. The Restaurant UR Portofino is located inside the hotel. Which offers a wide choice of seasonal Mediterranean cuisine, open to the public, with a separate entrance from the main street. It has its own bar with an outside terrace overlooking the swimming pool and offers guests the chance to enjoy a drink on the terrace at the sunset. The hotel UR Portofino is only a few metres away from the nearest beach and the sea promenade which starts at the yacht club in the city and stretches all the way to Playa the Palma, passing by the Cathedral, and the areas of el Portixol, Molinar, Ciudad Jardin, Can Pastilla and el Arenal. One can take a relaxing long walk, skate or cycle along the promenade or simply sit down by the sea and enjoy the breathtaking views. Also from the hotel reception can be arranged any special request of the guest, boat trips, rent a car, excursions around the island, winery tours, visit to the Caves of Drach, etc. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelUp, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Splitty, Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel UR Portofino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Ur Portofino Urban Sea
- Hotel UR Portofino Palma De Mallorca, Majorca