“Nice stay with great staff”
Review of Hotel UR Portofino

Hotel UR Portofino
Ranked #38 of 74 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
Reviewed 3 March 2010

Rooms at Portofino are simple but nice and clean.

Hotel has easy access to the centre of Palma via a number of buses - journey about 15min. The hotel was also just a minutes walk from the beachfront with a nice bar and restaurants overlooking the sea. Reception area and bar was botiquish with resaonable prices.

We had a problem where the heating not working in our room (was cold during Feb nights), but receptionist did his best to fix the problem quickly before moving us to another room.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 November 2009

Friendly, clean, lovely continetal breakfast and good mix of european guests. Rooms on the frontage may be a little noisy for those who like an early night! Good facilities and friendly helpful staff. We enjoyed our stay; it is in a residential area, close to the sea front and their are lots of places to eat nearby.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BrucefanDerbyshire
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Firstly the good bits. This hotel is very close to the beach, it is clean, well maintained, pleasantly and tastefully decorated, affordable and most of the staff are helpfull and friendly.

The problem : We stayed at this hotel for the last night of a 4 day girls getaway. On arrival we notice a very nice menu that catered for veggies well. One of our group had had 3 days of fairly limited cuisine (Spain is not known for is Vegetarian ways) and therefore with this in mind and the added fact that we were all a little tired we decided to return to Palma Old town and fetch out friends that were not staying with us so that we could enjoy a meal at the hotel and retire early to bed.
Having trapsed out to get the other half of the party we returned to the bar and decided to order a few Gin and Tonics. A surly looking receptionist came over to the bar and when I asked for said G & T he said 'we only have beer and wine' Seeing a pletora of spirits behind him on the shelf, I thought this odd, cast a confused glance at my friends and asked about the Bombay Saphire behind him. Without smiling he said 'no. I don't do cocktails. I'm a receptionist, there is no bar staff tonight'. 'Okay,' I replied, 'but it's not really a cocktail, it's just Gin and then Tonic?" to which he replies (I kid you not) 'Look, I can do beer or wine, do want any help or not?'
Shocked and taken aback (I work in hospitality myself) I replied that we'd better have some beers them.
Next my friend enquired as to what time the hotel restaurant opened. We were then informed that it was shut tonight as there was no chef. When we asked why he told us (irritably it has to be said) that it was too quiet to open the restaurant.
Now, I understand the princible behind this, like I said, I work in hospitality. But if you are shutting the hotel restaurant, then why in heavens name would you have a freestanding board advertising the menu by the entrance?
The final blow came later when we saw one of our friends off - she was staying behind as she works on the Super Yachts and we will not be seeing her for a year now. One of our party hugged her goodbye as she left the Lobby to get into a taxi and she had tears in her eyes. Normal, you might think...I certainly did. However our friend on reception, the anti spirits/liqueurs chappy thought it was hilarious, he chuckled away to himself AND (as I type this I am half laughing myself, it is so unbelievable!!) he made mock eye rubbing moments and boo hooing sounds whilst shaking his head?!!!
Honestly it was the most bizarre display of hospitality I have ever witnessed! His name we found out later is Ben.

The receptionist that checked us in and checked us out was quite the opposite, she was lovely and her name is Davina.

One final note - we paid extra for breakfast, and it was around £6.00 I think. The breakfast offered in the morning was just cereals fruit and bread. I thought it a bit steep for a cold buffet. I have noticed other reviews that mention hot pancakes, however we wondered if the chef was still off because it was so quiet. I don't think standards should slip simply because a hotel is not full to capacity!

Verdict ; Go. It's a nice hotel, in every respect bar the odd behavior of Ben, just make sure if you are planning on spending the evening chilling at the hotel that you check everything is open.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
urbanrustic, Hotel Manager at Hotel UR Portofino, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2009

Dear guest,

we believe that it is only through listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our customers, that we will be able to achieve the constant improvement, guest satisfaction and quality service, that we strive for. With this in mind, the comments such as yours are of the greatest importance and assistance to me.

Although your recent stay in our hotel did not fully satisfied you, (I am really apologize for the incident in our bar), I would dearly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in a near future, and check by your self the new buffet we are building . If so, please let me know in advance of your arrival in order to welcome you personally.

Yours sincerely,

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 15 October 2009

This is a great little hotel if you want to be away from the busy Palma city. it's close to the airport which sounds grim but I didn't actually hear the planes that much. I imagine it would be a bit of a problem in summer when there are alot more planes coming in. The reception and public areas are boutique stylish, theres a small bar which opens out into a decent sized pool area. The bedrooms are tiny but functional and stylish and very clean. The window opens to a tiny balcony which is a relief in a small room. There is a small fridge which is useful. Ask for directions to Lidl supermarket to stock up on drinks and cheap food. Staff were generally very polite and friendly. The hotel is right by the beach which is frequented by locals rather than tourists. Theres a great but long walk along the beach into Palma town. There are some good but pricey restaurants in the immediate area.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 October 2009

A little treasure hidden away from the centre of Palma.
Very close to a golden beach with miles of walk ways
and paths. Plenty of beach-front bars to stop for an ice
cream or a fanta.
Clean hotel with great great service. They definately have
that something special that is so often missing in hotels
to-day.
Helpful to me with all the information I needed that was not
directly related to my staying at the hotel.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank aogano
Reviewed 4 October 2009

This hotel is great for anyone wanting to stay in Palma but not directly in the city. The surrounding area has a residential feeling to it. The hotel is about a 15 minute cab ride from the airport, a 20 minute bus ride from the city center and about a 3 minute walk to a local beach. If you decide to stay at this hotel, I recommend walking the path along the beach to Palma which is about a 45 minute walk. There are several amazing restaurants along the way, no need to go directly into the city for all meals.
As for other beaches, we took a few day trips to other beaches on the other side of Palma. Well worth the bus ride. The hotel staff was a great help in directed us to the nice beaches.
The rooms in the hotel have a simple, modern decor and are very clean. The pool is great too. Perfect for lounging at after a day at the beach.
Overall, my friend and I were very happy with our stay.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank NewYorkNik
Reviewed 1 October 2009

2 nights in this charming little hotel close to the sea. A perfect and quiet small town called Ciutat Jardin (garden city) just a few minutes by car to Palma old center, also less than 10 mn from the airport.
Nice swimmig pool and lounge. Good quality and Free wireless.
Helpful and nice staff (Per especially;)
Paid 45€/ night: for this price... just impossible to get better in Palma!
I just red a review from another traveler and ... it seems AC doesn't work in some rooms (including our)... considering the weather that was not a problem though. a friend had a room with no view but working AC ;)
There is a "meat grilled' smell around the swimming pool that seems to come from a restaurant nearby and a bit disturbing If u have a sharp noise...but again...for nearly the price of a hostel it's a Gem and will return If for the same price and in Palma again!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple