Since I am a solo traveller, before I book any hotel, I try to research every aspect of the area where it is located, the price etc. I also read reviews, and am greatful that there are sites out there and people who are willing to write them. Having said that, I thought I would share with you my experience. The reviews I read for this hotel were mainly positive,but there were some negative ones too. Some people gave rated the hotel low, but said it was acceptable. I will tell you what my experience was, and I hope it helps you in your search. I should also mention, as I travel, I try to have an open mind about everything, especially about my hotel and the people who run it. Having said that, here is my review.
I stayed at the Cala Bona - the hotel itself however has 2 buildings, for 3 nights. I had a balcony overlooking the beach, in a room with 2 double beds. The room was bright and airy and very clean. It is true, I was solo, however I do think even for a couple or 3 people, the room would be large enough without feeling cramped. Plus, you are not there to spend your holiday in your hotel room - you are there to experience Menorca.
The cleaning lady was very kind - on the first day she came and cleaned my room while I had breakfast (which by the way is delicious and included but more on that later). The second day, she came a bit late around noonish, and she found me in the room. She was going to come back later, but even though I didn't speak Spanish we understood eachhother and I stepped out while she cleaned my room.
Since I am a very tidy person, she didn't have much work to do. A note though, she didn't change the bed linens. I am assuming this is because I was only there for 3 nights. It didn't bother me, because like I said, I had 2 double beds I could chose from and plenty of space. If this bothers you, I am sure the manager would be more than happy to have them changed for you. But for me, this was not an issue.
Some reviewers mentioned that the shower stall was small and cramped. I agree it was small, but not cramped. More than adequate for a normal sized person, and it gets the job done, not to mention it was CLEAN. Some of you also mentioned the toilet being in a weird spot (cramped into the sink). Yep, I had that too. And it wasn't that bad. Afterall you1re in, and out. You are not spending your vacation in the loo, so really, unless this should come up when you are paying couple of hundreds of dollars or euros per night, this shouldn't be an issue.
Another issue i saw mentioned was the room door. Yes it was wooden, yes there was a 2 mm gap between the door and the floor, and yes it might have seemed like someone could kick it down. But you are on an island not the middle of New York, and to me it was charming, and seemed more like a B&B than a hotel. The owner also locks the hotel door downstairs every night and I have never felt unsafe while I stayed there.
Breakfast - I also saw some people complained about this. It was excellent! There was a variety of choices from cereal, muesli, muffins, little breads, croissants, cold cuts, excellent cheese, hot coffee, tea and orange juice. Eveything you need to start your day off right, buffet style. Not to mention, you had the option of sitting out on the terrace and eating your breakfast out there. You can't ask for a better morning.
The hotel also has a swimming pool. I didn't actually try it out because i went to the beach instead - which by the way cou can access right from the hotel. So I cannot comment on the state of the pool and the furniture as some of the other reviewers mentioned it's old and rusty. I don't know, I took a look, the pool was very clean, the furniture looked rustic, but definetly not in a state that it would warrant replacement.
Internet -- the hotel has internet, with Wifi connection, as of Sept. only at the Mar Blava. At the Cala Bona, I coudln't connect to Wifi and I was told this will be introduced in November. This didn't really bother me. The owner also has a computer in the reception and you can use it anytime and that is what I did. It was great.
Lastly, the owner is fantastic! He speaks English very well, not to mention a variety of other languages too. As I mentioned, travel with an open mind and a positive attitude and you will have a great trip. He went above and beyond to make my stay fantastic and it was. Since I was alone, he had breakfast with me every morning and we exchanged stories and chatted. He made suggestions about where I should go and what I should see. He told me the history of the island and for me at least, it was a fantastic experience.
I think, when I return to the island, I will only stay at this hotel. The staff is extremely nice and hospitable. I didn't speak Spanish, and unlike other countries I have visited, this was not an issue.
I sincerely recommend this hotel. If you are like me, and travel with an open mind and positive attitude, I assure you you will have a great time at this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Is a complex of two hotels: Cala Bona / Mar Blava where guests can be accommodated in any of the two establishments. The hotel comprises two buildings, with shared facilities. These include a beautiful garden terrace and bar. The hotel has two floors, being located in the best area of Menorca. Located on the beach, in a quiet promenade. Located 50 meters from the beach (Platja Gran), in the historic town of Ciutadella Menorca. Features an outdoor pool and wireless internet access. Ten minutes walk to the center and the charming Old Town, where there are numerous entertainment venues. Very close, only 300 meters, there is public transport. Credit card, satellite, home, garden or terrace, central location, pool, hair dryer in room service, bar/cafeteria, TV room, WIFI. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Cala Bona & Mar Blava Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Cala Bona Mar Blava
- Cala Bona & Mar Blava Hotels Spain/Menorca