“One star hotel far exceeds star rating”
Review of Hotel Madrid

Hotel Madrid
Ranked #21 of 56 Hotels in Ciutadella
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We made a last minute dotcom booking at this hotel for mid September. We were made most welcome. Our room was comfortable, with the sea view we had asked for and a generous sized balcony we did not dare hope for. Breakfast was excellent. The staff were most helpful, and when we unfortunately left a mobile phone behind in our room it was posted to our British address for which of course we remitted the cost. The hotel is situated very handily for the picturesque port and old city of Ciudadela/Ciutadella, from which buses took us to all the lovely beaches of western Menorca, and for the coastal path that goes round the whole island. Although the hotel does not offer meals other than breakfast, there were plenty of restaurants within easy walking distance, and it offers a pool to cool down, with a coffee or ice at any time.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view room e.g. room 15. Better view than pool view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 September 2012

This is a 1 star hotel, not to be confused with a 4 star! The welcome and friendliness of the family that run this hotel is the reason that my wife and i have just returned from our 12th stay. The hotel is clean, bed linen changed every other day and towels daily. Breakfasts are continental and fine. There is no food available other than breakfast but with plenty of places to eat its no problem. Bar prices are very reasonable. There is a reasonably large pool with sunloungers available. Alex Rosa and Mari must be doing something right as we saw 3 other couples who have stayed there on previous years. Tip for eating, the Club Nautico allows the public in - good food at good prices.

Room Tip: Dont fall the promo deluxe offers some suppliers give all rooms are similar.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stu1951
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We selected the Hotel Madrid, Ciutadella de Menorca, using Trip Advisor for its close proximity to the Port as we wanted to end our holiday with a last night out in Ciutadella prior to a short drive to catch the early morning fast ferry to Barcelona.

We booked a room  with a sea-view and balcony four months in advance but when we arrived the receptionist directed us down a side street to a litle ground floor annexe at the rear of the hotel. The room was small, dated and like an oven with no air-conditioning.

I went back to the reception to complain that this is not what we had booked only to be told that we had not requested a room with a balcony and the hotel was was fully booked and no other rooms were available.

When I asked to see their copy of the booking form the receptionist became very cagey about showing it to me, so I grabbed the booking form and pointed out to him that it clearly stated what had been paid for. At this point he offered to refund our money and suggested we find another hotel.

We demanded the Complaints Book or  Libro de Reclamaciones, the official Goverment Complaint Form that would require them to explain their actions to a Government Inspector

They frantically started searching their filing system for the necessary forms but after 30 minutes said they could not find them.

Eventually, when they realised that we were not going to go away, they offered  to phone around Ciutadella to find us another Hotel and that they would pay the difference in price.

After phoning several Hotels with no success, I suggested that they phone Hotel Ignasi, the best Rural Hotel in the area costing €265 per night and after a short phone conversation and written confirmation by e-mail we left the Hotel Madrid never to return.

Having chosen to pay such an expensive financial penalty to avoid a written complaint about their behaviour and attitude, I just hope that Hotel Madrid will think twice before giving away another pre-booked room at the height of the tourist season.

Room Tip: Always print out your booking form, take a hard copy with you and always ask to see the room before...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
20  Thank JCA1000
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Clean, enough spaced bathroom and the breakfast was good. The location is quite, 7 blocks far from the city centre, but the hotel is really noisy itself. Overall quality in line with the price, compared to other options in Ciutadella during August.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Nothing was too much trouble for the People at this Hotel. We stayed for two nights at the end of our 14 day holiday, so that we could have a few nights out in the town after being at the beach for two weeks. The Hotel is Family run, and this shows in the friendlyness and general pride in the Hotel. It is a basic hotel so dont expect luxury but I have never stayed anywhere so spotlessly clean. We arrived at 1000 knowing that check in was from 1400 but thought we may be able to leave our cases. Our room was ready and the lady on the desk was very kind and insisted we check in and freshen up and have a nap etc. All in all we stayed two nights which cost us £44 and we had the service and cleanlyness of a 5 star hotel. Thank you all

Room Tip: no lift so if you struggle get ground floor
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ElReydeGalles
Reviewed 13 January 2011

My partner and I stayed here August bank holiday weekend 2010. We found the hotel exactly as we expected as it was a low star rated establishment. The location was excellent with brilliant public transport links, lovely town centre within a few minutes walk and lovely scenery including harbour also nearby. We stayed B&B which was adequate and we found the staff to be very pleasant although certain members spoke little English. We had a fan in our room which was appreciated. Our only critisism were ants in the room but we would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PrincessAM22
Reviewed 26 August 2010

I arrived at august 19 around 4 PM everything seems ok, everyone greeted me, i didn't have to wait in line when i was checking in, the front desk agent gave me my key and told me to "Enjoy my stay" i THOUGHT EVERYTHING WILL BE PERFECT NOT UNTIL I OPEN MY ROOM my kids we're the first one to enter and they start to run in the living room and when my youngest kid open my room, she was shocked and told me mom...there's somebody inside our room. I opened the door and I was suprised on what I saw. There's a man sleeping on the bed. I told my kids to go out of the room and I went to the front office and complained. The front office clerk is insisiting that the room is vacant. I got mad at her! called the general manager and complain to him! They wasn't able to fix the problem and I ended up checking out of the same day!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family