We have just returned from 10 days at the Grupotel Playa Club. It is a lovely hotel with low rise block set around a good sized pool. There is a kids pool but the main pool also has the all-important gradual slope in for the toddlers. You can sit on a sunbed right in front of this bit and literally be two steps from them playing in the water.
We had a 2 bed apartment - a rarity to find in an aparthotel it seemed during our search. We felt this was essential to us as we have a toddler and a baby who we did not want to share with, and who we did not want to put in together! Toddler had his own room and baby was in a cot in the main bathroom, while we had our own room with an en-suite - perfect! Furnishings were fine - decent bathrooms and fairly basic living area furniture but perfectly fine.
Kitchenette which we also felt was essential with a baby on 5 bottles per day - full sized fridge and two ring hob, basic equipment provided. NOTE - NO MICROWAVE OR KETTLE! This would have been a nightmare for preparing baby feeds so we asked reception for a kettle which they gave us, but it did to them to be an unusual request. So you could not guarantee getting one. I would recommend you take a travel kettle just in case.
Other niggles included pretty ineffective air con (would not fancy this hotel in high summer for that reason), and being given a room up a grass bank when we had a buggy and this was the only way up (other than steps). You can live with this though.
Food was good enough for us not to want to cry after 11 nights of it, probably an 8/10 on the Spanish buffet scale.
Another note - the 'kids club' mentioned on the website consists of one slightly supervised drawing session per day (in German mainly as these are the majority of guests, but the lady can speak some English). This is not a kids club where you can drop your kids and come back later. There is also a mini-disco each night led by the same lady, but we found this too late for our 3 year old at 8.15pm.
Hotel location - great for the beach being only a 5 min walk along a sandy track. Being right next to a nature reserve made the hotel setting feel lovely, as if you are in the countryside. The beach is small but lovely, fairly undeveloped with lots of sand and great waves when its breezy. Supermarkets behind the beach fine but expensive as they always seem to be.
You can walk for about 15 mins down to the Cala N Bosch marina - where you will find a lot more English people if you need them! We found the downside of being in a hotel full of Germans was only that our son couldn't really make friends with the other kids. Apart from that it was a relief not to have to listen to other English people all week. Also there was no sunbed reserving allowed before 9am but no-one really seemed to live up to this stereotype anyway.
Cala N Bosch is a modern resort with nothing much to recommend it but it's fine for an evening out. All families and older people staying here. We wanted to go on a day trip to Cuitadella but found the weather was too hot to bother. The photos of it do look lovely though.
This was definitely a holiday for a family with young kids (who don't really need a kids club). I would not recommend it for couples - too many kids around! It was the first holiday we have been on with the kids where we felt we would definitely go back as it had all the elements we need. Only downside was long (1 hour) transfer, and that was a private one without any other drop-offs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated 200 m from the wonderful Son Xoriguer beach. Apartments: Double bedroom. Living room. Kitchen. Heating/ air-conditioning. Sat-TV. Terrace. Sport & Leisure: Swimming pool, children´s pool. Swimming lessons. Heated indoor swimming pool. Jacuzzi. Sauna. Turkish bath. Massages. Gym. Jogging area. Table tennis. Billiard. Children´s playground. Miniclub. Evening shows. Gastronomy: Breakfast and dinner buffet. Show cooking. Pool & Lounge bar with snack service. Special Service: Babysitting service. Buggies and intercoms rental. Car and bike rental. Internet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grupotel Playa Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grupotel Playa Club Hotel Ciudadella
- Grupotel Playa Hotel
- Grupotel Playa Club Spain/Minorca