“Very nice but had to convince them we were hungry!”
Review of Casa Santa Maria

Casa Santa Maria
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Betancuria
Price range: US$18 - US$53
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We visited for lunch and ordered some meat / cheese platters from the menu on the table and a fish dish from the main menu. We met some resistance from the waitress because she believed the platters were for sharing (although it didn't say this on the menu!) but we eventually convinced her that the men in our party had sufficiently large appetites, as they polished off the lot and even had room for dessert! The plates weren't huge (enough to share as a light bite / starter or alone as a main meal) but were fairly expensive, although they did contain a fair amount of meat! The food was very good and the setting very nice, as there is seating outside but in the shade of some plants / trees, one of which was being climbed by a cat when we visited. Just don't be tempted to stroke the cat on the chair by the bar (it's stuffed and alarmingly cold!).

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Good food, wine and service. Dress code, Spanish lessons and bookings are not required at this time of year.

I booked a table over the phone. My Spanish came courtesy of Google so I was really grateful to the patient man on the other end of the line who managed to explain that they only open for lunch without using a word of English. I was surprised when I saw reports of rudeness on here.

The manager is Spanish and was just as friendly in person. His wife (I assume) is German and dealt helpfully and fluently with English, French and Italian diners while we were there.

The weather was a bit dull so we sat in the characterful and surprisingly large indoor dining room. The decor, like the food, is rustic yet sophisticated. Sarah had rabbit with cêpes and I had beef escalopes, both well judged and generous, the signature kid stew dish looked great too. Decent wine is available by the glass which is preferential to the bottle with the twisty mountain drive to follow.

I can't fault this place. If you get a bad first impression I hope you persevere. You'll get some great food at a very reasonable price. We'll probably return.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We drove to Betancuria to have lunch at Casa Santa Maria, but got much more than that. The restaurant looks nice, offers both a pleasant atmosphere and food cooked in uncomplicated yet sophisticated ways. We sat in one of the courtyards surrounded by flowers, quite a contrast to bare rocky landscapes for miles around. The road a few miles either side of the village twists and turns rather scarily, but every turn offers a stunning view. I stayed in the 2nd gear for miles and was very glad there was no traffic either way. Definitely an experience not to be missed.

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

We visited this quirky restaurant as part of a day trip from Lanzarote. We booked in advance and were made most welcome on arrival. Food portions were generous and the flavours robust. The house special of braised kid didn't disappoint and the recommended wine was excellent. We were pleasantly surprised by the bill. We would happily return.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

The service was superb, the lady who served was helpful and even gave us a cloth bag to take away our unfinished wine. The manager was not rude to us, in fact quite pleasant.

Food was special and good value, we had three excellent courses for 23 Euros each and the wine was reasonable. Best food I have had this year.

Wonderful atmosphere, interesting pictures and photographs, felt special.

We had not read the comments on Trip Advisor pleased we did not, as could have potentially missed out on this real treat.