Open today: 09:30 - 17:00
Review Highlights
A great days diving

My visit to Grab Canaria was very last minute and I only discovered I had a day to explore just... read more

Reviewed 7 December 2020
ingesmith62
Norwich, United Kingdom
A Great day out

Had booked in advance but no deposit was required due to the ever changing rules on... read more

Reviewed 7 November 2020
575pate
Farnborough, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews marine reserve angel sharks sea life padi open water course cuttlefish night dive a great week these guys raymond hector briefing instructor rays shore hermans skills outfit
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 July 2016 via mobile

Three days of diving with Davy Jones Diving School were really good experience.
Great staff. Eduardo and Hector did a spectacular job.
Pick up from the hotel was really useful.
Two little things to mention:
1) The shower should be fixed, it is out of service.
2) Cars driving you to diving places really need some more attention.

Date of experience: June 2016
divebrian, Owner at Davy Jones Diving, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2016

Hello Magda,

Thanks for your feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed diving with Eduardo and Hector.
Yes, we finally got the part and the shower is now fixed and available. Regarding the vehicles, yes they take a lot of punishment with salty divers and the poor roads. They are however inspected by the government every 6 months for safety (like English MOT Tests) and all have full approvals. By the end of this year we should have replaced the older vans and will start destroying some 'newer' models with wet salty divers and their equipment.

Best wishes

Reviewed 4 July 2016 via mobile

My partner and I visited Davy Jones Diving School on our break in Gran Canaria for a snorkelling experience.

Once being picked up from our hotel we arrived at the school with no welcome or briefing of our day, not even a hello!
I have never experienced snorkelling before and had hoped to be encouraged and energised before our trip but we were ignored whilst in the centre.

Once we were taken to the snorkelling bay I started to struggle with using the gear given to me as I had not been taught how to use it at all. I was given no reassurance and felt very uncomfortable.

After this we were taken back to our hotel in a run down car which broke down on the motor way! Not only was this extremely dangerous we didn't even get a sorry!

The man who 'helped' us (Brett) made little to no effort to make conversation or apologise for the situation we were in.
I look at this experience as a waste of money.

I would only recommend this school if you're an experience diver!

If you're a first timer and are looking for a fun and educational experience my partner recommends Canary diving who give fantastic customer service and are situated on a beautiful part of the island!

Hello Sophia,

Thank you for taking the time to document your concerns.. I was really disappointed to read that we had not met your expectations, or the service standards and aims that we have. I can only therefore wholeheartedly apologise for the poor impression of us that you developed.
I remember the day you were here very well, and it was a very windy day, which restricted our options and made the second session more challenging that should have been the case. I can see how the final straw was when the vehicle developed an electrical problem and you were stranded on the motorway for 30 minutes with our driver.
As most of the points relate to only a couple of members of the team I have spoken to them and coached them in the elements of customer service. As a result of some of your comments we have changed some of our procedures and added some formal elements to the snorkelling package.
Once again all I can do is apologise for our gaps in customer service and assure you that your comments have been read and discussed by all the members of the team, with the aim of eliminating any such problems in the future.

Best regards

Reviewed 12 June 2016 via mobile

My husband and I did the ' Discover Scuba diving course' with davy jones diving school on our honeymoon recently. Since we had only done one dive before in australia, this course was aimed at amatuers like us to provide us all the hell and guidance we need.

Mu husband is a great swimmer and generally very comfortable scuba diving amd being underwater. I am not much of a swimmer, can be a bit claustrophobic and generally quite terrified from my first scuba diving experience.

We had one instructor each who stayed with us throughout. I panicked quite a bit and wanted desperately to be back on the surface but Brian, who is pne of their more experienced divers, helped me through it. He kept telling me to breather and calm down and distracted me by showing me fish and other marine life.

Positives:
+Divers have lots of experience
+You can tell they love their job
+Everyone is very friendly
+U get treated like ure part of the family and at home
+No hidden charges or fees
+Free and well organized pick up and drop from hotel

Some negatives were:
-The dives were a bit disorganized. Different people were coming in and going out at different times so there was a lot of waiting around time at the centre at least 2- 3 hours of doing nothing. It may have been the case on just that day though since two customers were late and hence messed up the order.
- they dont have a boat so the diving site is a bit awkward. U have to walk into the water through slippery rocks and carry heavy equipment. I have back issues so the divers volunteered to carry my tank for me though so it wasnt all that bad.
- compared to the reef , there isny much to see down there sply in the first half coz ure still at the shallow end getting used to the equipment. But distraction by beauty underwater wud have been more helpful. Nothing compares to the reef though so not the diving schools fault.
- noone takes photos before, underwater or after which is a shame and again a let down after our first experience where they took lots of candid shots on the surface and below for memories.

Over all apart from the waiting bit, a very good experience and wud definitely dive with them again if we are in gran canaria. My husband had a ball and was smiling like a moron for quite a bit.

Date of experience: May 2016
divebrian, Owner at Davy Jones Diving, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2016

Hello Niti, thanks for taking the time to share your views with us. I am sorry if on the day you were here you had to wait around but as you say we had a mix of divers, courses and snorkellers who all finished at different times.
It is impossible to directly compare any dive site in the (sub-tropical) Canary Islands with the amazing colours and variety of a tropical Australian reef, but we do at least have significantly more life and colour than anywhere else in Europe or the Mediterranean.
I'm glad that you thought the team created the right atmosphere and were able to get you calmed down enough!
All the best for the future.

Reviewed 4 June 2016

Just finished 3 days diving with these guys & would highly recommend for beginners or qualified divers.
I chose Davy Jones after Internet research & consulting Trip Advisor reports.
Arrangements before arrival were perfect & I was picked up on time on my first day.
After completing paperwork & logbook checks, equipment was assembled & dive briefing given before leaving by minibus to El Cabron, 10 minutes away.
All dives are shore entry over very rocky ground. I must say that the guides took great care of me on entry & exit as at 69, I can be a little unsure underfoot.
Once underway there were plenty of fish species to see that kept my camera clicking throughout.Dives typically lasted at least 40 minutes.
We returned to the dive centre between dives to relax & decompress.
I took a packed lunch but the bakery around the corner sells good bread & bits for sandwiches.
The equipment & people at Davy Jones are excellent & I would unreservedly recommend them for diving El Cabron.

Date of experience: June 2016
divebrian, Owner at Davy Jones Diving, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2016

Hello Bryan,

Thanks for taking time to describe our service so clearly to help others choose their diving centre here. I am glad you liked all the elements of the service from bookings, pick-up, and hand-holding while you get in! Hope to see you again,

Reviewed 2 June 2016

I completed my PADI open water certification, I was lucky enough to be the only open water student so my course was one on one. I'd never dived before but I found their course the perfect level of challenging as I progressed along. The crew are laid back and the atmosphere is social and friendly. Thanks to Brian and the guys for the memories. Highly recommened this crew.

Date of experience: May 2016
divebrian, Owner at Davy Jones Diving, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2016

Hi Lachlan.. Yes, we had some fun doing your Open Water course and I'm glad you like our style and the teaching. Have fun in the future and try to remember at least a few of the things we taught you!

Best wishes,