“Superb Views of the Bay from the Restaurant”

Concorde Hotel Gran Canaria
Maldon, United Kingdom
“Superb Views of the Bay from the Restaurant”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We needed an overnight stay in this area while refurbishment of our apartment was being completed. It was January 2014 and the cost of B&B for two was a reasonable 90 Euros.

The hotel, and its staff, were typical of a 4* hotel, with Pool and Solarium, and Wifi in all rooms.

Apart from its very good location - just 100 metres from the beach, and easy walking distance to many good restaurants, bars and cafes - the best USP this hotel has is the view over Las Canteras from one end of the beach to the other while you sit at a window table in their Restaurant Mirador situated on the sixth floor.

We stayed in the area until June and noted that the once-popular La Columna Cafe situated on the ground floor did not open for custom - but some could be seen using the tables for playing cards or using their laptops.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the less street noise. Top floor suites are best but, naturally, cost more.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Peter D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Harrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Great hotel great staff lovely area but very quiet a little too quiet food in hotel exceeded expectations waiters so professional good sense of humour as did all staff 12th may till 26th as my husband wanted to be free to watch football in june our room was of a good standard especially the wardrobes and the towelling dressing gowns provided very useful the only negative was the matress which was very hard and gave me back ache well done too all staff at this hotel very enjoyable

• Stayed May 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We travelled as two couples to Gran Canaria and wanted a week in the city and a week elsewhere. The price of our bed and breakfast stay at Concorde was good. The location is perfect to get about and make the most of the beach and the lovely promenade.

Yes the hotel is older and not as plush as others but our room was clean, bed was comfy and breakfasts were excellent with panoramic views of the beach.

We thank the staff who were all courteous and helpful. Wifi worked best in the foyer. Not in the rooms. We loved the local bar across the road. No complaints and we would return. We loved las palmas.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The good point is – that hotel is in a good location – although there is usually a couple of prostitutes not far along the street – and near to them are young guys up to something or other.

The staff I have encountered did try to help – but it seems that you have to point it out them that they are ignorant of the needs of the people paying to stay in their hotel.

I love Las Palmas – been hear 4 times but this hotel is slowly sinking and needs a good clean up and they should clear out the manager at the same time.

The fixtures and fittings are falling apart in places. In our room, one pelmet for the curtains came crashing down – luckily not hitting anyone. The doors creak; the windows of the hotel have probably not been cleaned in years. The electrical points are plentiful and there is LCD TV and a mini-fridge in the room. The bathroom is of a good design – bath with a shower attached. The light fixtures could do with tightening up. I saw a cockroach in our room but could catch it. 3 days later my partner killed it with glass bottle.

Our room is on the 5th floor, which we requested as we had read in reviews that previous visitors to this hotel had been disturbed by 2 discotheques nearby, so we thought it better to be higher up (We were never troubled by sound from clubs or discos during our stay)

On the night we arrived we went to the restaurant (6th Floor) to buy a buffet type meal. I ate only the (very little) vegetarian food I could find. The reason being that although I like fish a little – the fish was grilled on the same grilling board as the meat! We decided we would have dinner at the restaurant again.

Morning almost came – but it was dark – when I was awoken by what sounded like furniture being moved on the floor above us. I went up to the restaurant floor (6th Floor) to find the doors closed. So, I went back down to the bedroom. Then, a little while later I heard this dragging sound (this was at approximately 6am). So, I went downstairs to the reception and told the assistant about furniture being moved on the 6th floor. He said there shouldn’t be anyone doing that, so I asked him to come our bedroom. He entered and heard the sound for himself. So then he went with me to the 6th floor but we couldn’t get into the restaurant. The assistant said he was sorry but he had to go back to reception. I went back to the restaurant and kept knocking until finally a man opened the door, I explained that I was being kept awake by him moving furniture and chairs. He assured me it was not doing this. We eventually worked out that the trolleys he was using to transport the mornings food and utensils had quite worn rubber wheels which in turn resonating its sound onto the concrete floor above our room and those of everyone else on the 5th floor.

The next morning I spoke to the assistant and explained what was caused such a loud, thunderous noise. I said I would like to speak to the manager about this. The assistant said he would write a note in a book about the noise caused by the trolleys.

But every morning the situation would be the same. Eventually, I spoke to another assistant in reception and told her I would like to see the manager as nothing is being done about this earthquake-like sound I have to endure every morning.

I did find out that the manager was called Lena Persson.

The breakfast is a terrible experience unless you are a meat eater. I would usually eat some bread, boiled eggs and some yoghurt. Until I realised that even the yoghurt had gelatine in it!

I went marching downstairs to the reception to ask that are the people running this hotel so ignorant of everyone except meat-eaters!

I demanded that the manager get in contact with me. I was told the manager (who had been at the hotel was on another island)

So, I made a short video to show most of the breakfast was geared for meat-eaters and disgustingly – they would cheese and smoked salmon in-between meat dishes. The ignorance of taking into account the needs of guests at the hotel was making me mad.

Of course, the next day I was personally presented with vegetarian yoghurt. The staff didn’t get it all. Why not a choice of vegetarian and non-vegetarian yoghurt for everyone?

I doubt I was the only non-flesh eater staying at this run-down hotel.

The thing is – if you don’t care much about what you put down your throat then that is your right – but I happen to care about animal welfare and not having bits of animal in yoghurts and slices of flesh lovingly displayed all over serving tables.

The wi-fi Internet does work to about 20kbps (of course, very slow) but only if you have a laptop – because my tablet PC which I had only recently brought could not catch the signal at all.

I can only assume that the manager is like a dictator, as my requests to see her – were never passed on – or she simply decided she could and would ignore me.

Room Tip: Have your room on the Calle Tomas Miller side NOT Calle Luis Morote
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TonyMCordoba

Travellers are raving about these Las Palmas de Gran Canaria hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

There was not really anything special about this hotel. It is perfectly adequate for a short stay but I don't think it justifies its 4 star rating. Location is good. It is just a few steps from Las Canteras beach, within walking distance of numerous bars and restaurants, has a taxi rank directly outside and is also handy for buses heading to the old part of town. The room was clean and the staff were professional. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and varied. Wifi really only works in the public areas of the hotel. Decor is pretty tired.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Fred S
Cumbria, UK
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We used this hotel on a walking package holiday in February. It is well positioned close to the superb Las Canteras beach. The number 12 bus from the main bus station and old town drops you at the door.

All the rooms look onto busy city streets and there could be a noise issue, although we had no problems. The dining room is on the top floor and has excellent coastal views. The breakfast buffet was very good if somewhat eccentrically arranged. We ate dinner in the hotel on two occasions, the buffet was better than average with meat and fish freshly cooked to your individual requirements.

As other reviews suggest, the chief downside of the hotel is that it is in need of renovation and modernisation in a number of areas. The public rooms are generally rather dreary and uninviting, other than a pleasant lounge on the first floor. High winds on one day defeated the window seals and drove rain into the dining room, and towels were in place to catch drips through a hole in the ceiling. The hotel was kept very clean, the bedroom cleaning being particularly efficient.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FellwalkerCumbria_UK
Cuneo
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The hotel is located in the quarter of Santa Catalina. You can reach it from San Telmo (central bus station) by bus 1 (longest route), bus 12 (shortest route) or L1 (at night). Most bus stops are next to Parque de Santa Catalina which is 5 minutes walk from the hotel. Moreover there are many buses (guaguas) from the airport which take you to Santa Catalina.
Most people in the hotel come from Scandinavia. So they aren't noisy. Many had babies.
The bathroom has a bathtub with height-adjustable nozzle, a large and well-lit mirror and plenty of room for beauty products, which ladies will especially appreciate.
The breakfast is plentiful. Try the jamon serrano: it's delicious.
The WIFI is free and you can use an old computer for free.
On the heighest floor there's a large terrace with a swimming pool and sunloungers.
It's protected from the winds by glass panels. So you can enjoy a breathtaking view of the Playa de las Canteras.
All around there are very many shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have probably a view on the coast.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family