“Never again!”

Hotel Exe Las Canteras
Bowness-on-Windermere, United Kingdom
“Never again!”
Reviewed 30 January 2011

We stayed one night and checked out asap. We paid extra for our rooms and got singles.
One of the rooms did not have a shower cubicle just a shower curtain pulled around the plughole and the smell was awful. No-one had a good nights sleep due to the wind blowing thru the windows!! altho they were not open. We cannot understand has this hotel has four stars! We checked into the Santa Catalina and enjoyed a first class service. We are awaiting reply from travel agent with their comments.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank bishopdavid

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 15 January 2011

This is a great hotel with a superb location, next to the beach Las Canteras.

Pros: Excellent staff. Excellent location. Very good food in the restaurant. A really nice hotel.

Cons: I am not usually picky on cleanness, but the bathroom was not really up to 4-star cleanness. And the room was a bit cramped.

I liked this hotel and would have stayed for the booked 4 days, but the first night of my stay the bolier shut down. No hot water in the hotel. Because of Christmas the staff could not promise that the boiler would be repaired during my stay. I decided to find myself another hotel, after the first night. The staff at Eurostar Las Canteras was very helpful, and gave me 30% off on the bill and did not charge me for the minibar. Great! That is excellent service in my book!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 14 January 2011

When I booked the room (directly from their web page) I specifically asked for a Double Room Sea View, if you see the pictures from this choice you will see that you have a very pretty balcony. I also asked for a bigger bed (full) since they provide me with that option when I was booking my room. When I got there I had a sea view with no balcony, of course, and two twin beds. I called reception and they said that it was the only room available, which I know it was not true, the hotel was nearly empty. Overall, the hotel was clean; the beds were not that comfortable. I would not stay there again I rather try another hotel for my next visit to the island. By the way, this is definitely not a 4 star hotel as advertised.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Nokia, Finland
Reviewed 20 December 2010

First, I must say this was our third visit to Eurostars Canteras, or Dunas Canteras, as it used to be called. The first two times we really enjoyed our stay.

If you do not want to read the whole review, let me just say this: this time it was not worth the price, and not like a four star hotel.

The location is perfect. It is right on the beach boulevard. We had paid for a larger balcony and for sea view, which was lovely. I could hear the sound of waves lulling me to sleep. WONDERFUL.

Then, the bad stuff: the persons (or rather, one person especially) working in the reception was *very* indifferent. Not a customer service person. They said we had not paid for half board, which we had, and showed no signs of eagerly calling our travel agency to find out when I asked them to. (We took care of it ourselves, contacting our "guide online".)

We had been told beach towels were available and included in the price, as before: they were not, as they had not received their new beach towels (Eurostars vs Dunas) yet. They could offer no solution. When I asked for two extra towels, I was told we could use the ones in our room and then they would be changed by housekeeping. Yes, doh, but we obviously wanted to take a shower afterwards, and the towels would be sandy or at least not fresh after use at the beach.

This is just a small example of how difficult it seemed to be. BTW yes, we got the two extra towels I asked for, but the housekeeping promptly removed them. I asked for new ones, was told they were not available but would be brought into our room as soon as they arrived. Naturally, they weren´t. I got them when I went to reception hours later and told them we hadn´t gotten the towels. .

A small thing, but just an example of the could not care less -attitude. I work in customer service myself, so I know about initiative and wanting customers to leave happy, not disappointed. Of course, I also know about some people just thinking "Who cares, I´ll just do my eight hours and leave". :O(

I asked where a certain restaurant was situtated: that would demand the receptionist to call, or to look for it in the internet. Not wanting to bother him in case he was busy or something, I asked him to please do that and tell me later. He didn´t.

He was not rude or offensive, just very indifferent. There was a brochure in our room praising the serivce with the personal touch or something. Made me laugh bitterly.

BTW our room was smaller than the ones we had during our previous stays, and where had the wonderfully comfy motorized beds disappeared? The ones that could be adjusted to suit a bad back? The ones that were the most wonderful I had ever slept in?

We had paid for half board - the first dinner was horrible. Here we were, at the Atlantic coast, and I was served frozen fish. I heard the "bling" of the microwave in the kitchen. The fish was bland and mushy, and there was a piece of blue plastic half inside it. I left it on the side of my plate with no comment, the waiter did not comment it, either. BTW even water was not included in half-board.

The meals were hit and miss, really: a couple of them excellent, a couple of them bland and tasteless. The breakfast was always very good though.

There was one person who understood about customer service: a waiter called Felix. He really brightened our day every time he was working there. I felt he was maybe one of the "old guard", Dunas time. And good customer service does not demand a lot, really: just a genuine interest. Our greetings to Felix! And greetings to his employer: you really should pay him more to keep him, whatever his wages are now!

So, we enjoyed the weather and the beach, wondering round, a bit of shopping, but felt the hotel was not good value. We most probably will not return. Either we´ll pay a hundred euros more a week for a five-star hotel, or then two hundred euros per week less for a honest two or three star hotel. (A person close to me always stays in Castillo Playa, apartementos, and is VERY pleased. I visited it myself to see her and met Jose in the reception - GREAT customer service and genuinely interested!!!)

The final note: I was packing my suitcase and found a live cockroach in my suitcase. We have travelled a bit, and I had never ever seen one. I was horrified when I thought it could have come home with us and maybe infest it. Ok, yes, I know in theory they exist everywhere in Canary Islands, I had never met one. I wished it had stayed that way.

And, yes, I gave feed-back to the hotel about the things I am telling here.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Arusha, Tanzania
Reviewed 4 October 2009

Aside from a nice view on the beach this hotel would strugle to get one star in my book. Not sure if the four stars they have were purchased. But our room on the 7th floor smelled like sewage. No other rooms to change. No onsite parking. And very bad service (however this is normal in Spain),

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bdj108
Dunashotels, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Exe Las Canteras, responded to this review, 13 October 2009
Hello,
Thank you very much for taking the time to compose this entry. The opinions and feedbacks of our clients are very important for us and help us to control quality and service of our hotel and to bring in improvements if necessary.
We regret that you were not satisfied with your stay, but we would like to mention that we had availability of rooms during your stay. So a room change would have been possible. Unfortunately we did not have any information about your wish at the reception. That is why we could not help you at the moment. Our staff is friendly and helpful and gets always the highest praises. Moreover, we offer a free parking few metres from the hotel. We hope to convince you, maybe in your next stay in one of our hotels.

Travellers are raving about these Las Palmas de Gran Canaria hotels

Belfast
Reviewed 2 August 2008

Stayed here for 5 nights.

It's right on the beach and a lovely little beach too so great for sunbathing / walks etc. Also very central to Las Palmas, short walk to shops and bars and at the faar end of the long promenade if you choose to walk along the front. If lively resort is your preference don't stay in Las Palmas though you will definitely find it quieter at nights.

Staff were superb and very helpful especially at reception who would answer any query.

Rooms - it is an absolute must to pay extra for a sea view with balcony, the room is so much more pleasant and a great view out over that beach to the sea and down the promenade. we were in a couple of rooms initially then paid to upgrade to the balcony room. There are other sea view rooms with no balcony which are not as good as the room is just very long where the balcony should be and you just have a window for the view. Rooms at the back of the hotel are smaller, dark and would not be good for a longer stay.

Food - we were B+B and breakfasts were fine, don't expect English breakfast or anything but there was a cooked range, fruit, meats etc and lots of breads, plenty to fill you up for the day! Did not eat dinner in the hotel and something tells me it would have been quite traditional, fish etc but it did seem quite a popular restaurant when opened to the public at night.

There were good facilities at the hotel although the public areas are small there is Internet and PC facilities, small communal area, no bar apart from up in the restaurant (I think you can sit there and get drinks etc but I never saw anyone do it) There is a mini-market right outside the front to stock up and food and drinks and there is a small fridge in each room (just take out the pre-stocked bottles and put them back at the end of your stay – no hassle at all) There is a very good small spa area in the basement of the hotel, it all has to be paid for but well worth is for a massage treatment or spa circuits etc, there is also a very nice spa pool, although not really big enough to do more than a couple of swimming strokes.

Rooms are good with plasma TV, good bathrooms, small table etc, not masses of room but fine and kept very clean. The hotel is not luxury but a very good alternative to self catering, not sure i would want to spend 2 weeks in it but if you want somewhere handy to base yourself then nowhere better. Any questions feel free to email me.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oslo
Reviewed 11 May 2008

Stayed here my family for two weeks. (Including disabled member).

Hotel is thoroughly kitted out for wheelchair / disabled users: Large lifts / ramps / stair lifts etc etc.

Hotel clean and well maintained with pleasant, courteous and helpful staff. (Nice touches include free beach towels).

Good breakfast buffet, served in very pleasant surroundings overlooking the beach and ocean.

We paid extra for a room with a balcony.. Thoroughly recommended!

It should also be mentioned that the hotel is located right on the beach promenade, meaning lots of restaurants / bars are available in the near vicinity. That said, it is also quiet.

Disabled visitors are very well catered for, with special changing facilities and bathing equipment available on the beach to facilitate those in wheelchairs. (Including flotation devices for those who cant use their legs and a special “waterproof” wheelchair that can be used to go out into the sea). Shaded areas are also available on the beach for disabled individuals to park wheelchairs, special matting is in place to ensure that wheelchairs can move freely over the sand).

Considerable time and effort has also gone into ensuring that the 3km + length of promenade that runs parallel to the beach is also disability friendly.. It is smoothly paved, with numerous ramped beach entry / exit points.

Children will also find plenty to amuse themselves with, aside the obvious attraction of the beach, there are numerous play areas dotted on or nearby the beach promenade.

Spa is ok.. not massively luxurious, but then it is not expensive.. so all in all well worth the price.

• Liked — Facilities and location
  • Disliked — not much!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family