“Good value for the price but don't go there if you rent a car.”
Review of Astoria Hotel

Astoria Hotel
Caen, France
“Good value for the price but don't go there if you rent a car.”
Reviewed 13 March 2011

I stayed here for 7 days from the 7th of March and found it very good value. The hotel is very close to the beach, less than 5 minutes walk, they have a roof terrace and bar . Breakfast was adequate but dinner was rather boring . The room was adequate but rather small . The reception team friendly, especially Sergio . They also have a small pool on the roof which I didn't try. I read the review before this and found it a bit unfair, I didn't find the area unsafe ( you have to be weary as in any other town), there is a supermarket close to the hotel which is really handy. I found the reception area to be spacious with plenty of seating and they have a free internet computer on the top floor near the bar. I think if you are looking for a good basic hotel, you will be pleased with this as it has extra facilities you wouldn't expect for the price. The only drawback was the parking because I rented a car and you can't find a parking space anywhere around the hotel in the evening I ended up paying 15€ per night to park the car in a multi storey carpark. So if you are thinking of renting a car , don't book in this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
8 Thank latal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
Reviewed 24 January 2011

I've spent my vacation at hotel Astoria in the centrum of Las Palmas. I can say that this is a great opportunity. They offer complete pension, have bar and internet cafè, and a big balcony at top floor, with pool and sun beds, and also a game room with table tennis and billiard. It's only a couple of minutes waking to the beach and the beach promenade.

The buffè is great, they have a variety of food and very good ice cream to dessert.

The single room is not as big, but it has air condition. Astoria have good prices, so its a cheap and good alternative.

Definetly I'll come back to this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Apollo

3 Thank Tim94
Oxford
Reviewed 9 November 2010

Hotel is in a residential part of the city so could be quite noisy at night/early morning. Food was fine and the prices for drinks was very good, bottle of white wine with dinner only 3 euros 50 cents and a jug of sangria 6 euros.The roof top terrace is lovely and it is only a few minutes walk to the beach. We would return.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OxfordLorac
Wrexham
Reviewed 8 April 2010

This was meant to be a break from a stressful few months but I felt worse when I came back from this week long nightmare. The location of the hotel is in a seedy back street were you would see down and outs congragating during the day. At night you would experiece pimps, prostitues; including transgender hookers hanging around outside the hotel and the area was not light up as someone else has stated on their review; in fact the complete opposite. This was very intimidating and frightening for a single women on her own. I was aware of some the issues surrounding this hotel and complained before I arrived in order to ensure an appropriate room. The room was surprisingly o.k all be it very dark and only a eurosport channel in English. I was placed in the inner court yard and the only noise I could hear was from the bar on the top floor occcasionally at night as I was on the fourth floor and the bar on the floor above. The room was clean and cleaning staff very friendly; I wish I could say the same for the rest of the staff who were very unfriendly. The food was terrible, cold discusting crap. I was glad I was only Bed and Breakfast and sometimes I could not even face that, and I am by no means fussy I will eat anything believe me. The food in the local resturants was good and reasonable in price. The weather for April was terrible overcast everyday did not get even slightly warm till around 2pm. One day it even started to rain, I wore a carrigan sometimes during the day and always at night and I had three blankets on my bed at night. It was extremely windy all the time, this was the most disappointing point of the holiday for me. The best part of the beach is a good 20 minutes from the hotel and as their is nothing to do, it is really boring no entertainment and even if there was it would not be in English. I would spend my day walking up and down the beach front or just reading in the room. The pool area is o.k although the pool was too cold to swim in and no good for small children as it was too deep. Families with children would go mental, no childrens clubs or poolside entertainment. The only good thing was cheap drinks in the bar and free internet facilities. I used the sauna one day as I was so bored and cold and that was good, the gym was basic and I did not use any other facilities.

The resort mostly catered for people from Finland, Germany and Denmark. It is the only place in Spain I have been to were the locals don't speak English or even try. I am not arrogant engough to expect others to speak my language when I visit their country and we should make the effort to learn the language of our host country it is only manners. However; as their livelyhood depends mostly on tourism from the UK it seems unusual. Some staff did try to be helpful and use technology as a tool in order to try to communicate effectively. I got the opinion that locals not only in the hotel, but also in the shops, resturants etc did not even like the British and treated us with contempt.

The upside is there is a much better resorts about an hour away which I did not know about other people told me on the plane on the way home that there is a good bus service to other areas were the weather was much better, entertainment and the locals speak English. So beware rather go there than Las Palmas and that bloody hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
5 Thank DOLPHINWREXHAM

Travellers are raving about these Las Palmas de Gran Canaria hotels

England
Reviewed 7 February 2010

I stayed here for 4 days from the 2nd Feb and found it very good value. The hotel is very close to the beach, less than 5 minutes walk, they have a roof terrace and bar so that you can sun your self in the hotel, breakfast was adequate for the price, the room was clean and the reception team friendly. They also have a small pool on the roof which I didn't try. I read the review before this and found it a bit unfair, I didn't find the area unsafe and in general I found the vibe in Las Palmas to be very relaxed, there is a supermarket close to the hotel which is really handy. It is true that the curtains were plastic but I didn't notice that until I touched them. The hotel seems to have some cost cutting measures but I think that is reflected in the price and didn't affect my enjoyment of my stay. I found the reception area to be spacious with plenty of seating and they have a free internet computer on the top floor near the bar. I think if you are looking for a good basic hotel, you will be pleased with this as it has extra facilities you wouldn't expect for the price. I will be using this hotel again and I really enjoyed my stay in Las Palmas

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank lemondrizzle
Farnborough
Reviewed 12 January 2010

Booked this as a warm weather break after Christmas for myself and my husband. The area is run down and seedy with groups of men standing on the street corners. It was only about 100 metres to the promenade but I certainly wouldn't have felt comfortable walking there on my own. We arrived at 10 p.m. in the evening and the concierge could hardly bear to book us in. He spoke no English and indeed the hotel only seems to cater for Spanish and German. All the notices were in these two languages (including the Fire Safety notice on the back of the bedroom door). The room overlooked a very noisy street - was dark and dreary with PLASTIC bedroom curtains and some tiles missing in the bathroom.
The dining room at breakfast in the morning looked more like a canteen with formica topped tables and hard chairs.
We decided we couldn't possibly stay here and hired a car and found alternative accomodation in Playa Del Ingles in a very quiet, delightful apartment just 100 yards from the sea and a small shopping centre.
What was supposed to be a cheap break turned out to be a very expensive one, but enjoyable in the end.
How English travel agents get away with recommending this hotel I don't know.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank FarnboroughSidecar
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2009

Conveniently located near by the beach (2 minutes walk). Staffs are very friendly and hospitable. Excellent gym and bar with wifi free internet access. Terrace upstairs with panoramic view of the city. It's very noisy during night time, I can hear people talking outside the street and cars.... thats the only negative side. I will recommend to stay in top floor.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends