Honestly - please avoid this trip, it is complete waste of a day.
Firstly, we paid €45pp for a day trip around Lanzarote via GetYourGuide.
We trusted GetYourGuide because we had a really good experience with them on a tour of Alhambra, Granada, back in September. After booking, the confirmation noted that “LowCostTours” would be providing the service.
This is how the tour unfolded:
- Pick up at a local point at 9:30am, spend c.40mins picking other people up from various points before stopping at a depot for 30mins to allow everyone to be shuffled into the assigned language buses. We were on the English & French bus;
- Tour guide Maria gives important messages by shouting down the bus... things like: “eating and drinking are strictly forbidden on the bus” or “you have 15mins here before we leave”... points of interest and local information are provided over the PA system where a combination of heavy Spanish accent and poor sound system meant it was virtually impossible to tell if she was actually speaking English or French;
- Bus drives to the Green Lagoon, we are told we have 15mins before the bus leaves. Quick photos with the wife before we are whisked off to a [friend’s?] café to spend money on drinks and snacks for 30mins;
- Taken to see the camels. If you don’t pay an extra €6 each to ride a camel up a hill and back then be prepared to sit around for 30mins waiting for the bus to leave;
- Taken to Timanfaya National Park where we stop at a local volcano restaurant for a geothermal demonstration of volcanic activity; how hot the ground is, watching hay burn in a hole in the ground...etc. Then we were shown chicken cooked using the heat of the volcano - looked good, smelt good, reasonably priced... but not allowed to eat it as we only had 15mins there and the tour already planned a buffet at a [friend’s?] “restaurant”;
- Bus then spent about an hour driving around the National Park, the mountain views were amazing. By now the tour guide seemed disinterested and had switched on a prerecorded guide to the mountains that left you no wiser as to what it was actually referring to. The windy cliff side roads were not really suitable for a full sized coach, we had some scary moments when the bus clipped the cliff face or when the back tires were right on the edge of the sheer drop...was glad when we were back on normal roads - they will have a horrible accident one day;
- Now buffet time! Extra €8pp collected by the tour guide before hand and told if we don’t pay upfront we can’t get in... i.e. you cannot see the food before you pay, and for good reason too... it was greasy and pretty awful. 50mins and €8pp well spent;
- Now for the 30mins of “wine tasting”, where we roll up to a small building that is essentially a souvenir shop that sells one type of red and one type of white wine. You get to try a shot glass of one then the “wine tasting” is over, the last 25mins are spent staring at the walls waiting for the time to end;
- Café time again!! I must admit, the view from this café was really good but I just detested the manner in which the tour was being orchestrated, 20mins and a few €’s lighter then we’re off again;
- Now on to Los Jameos Del Agua for 1hr, the place is beautiful and comprises of a restaurant that wraps the cave pool, a man made ornamental pool, a cave theatre, and a mini museum. The restaurant staff were still setting up for dinner which was a little awkward and we couldn’t actually enjoy what would have been really good food as they weren’t serving yet. The place is quite small and can be viewed in under 30mins... we spent quite a bit of time trying to make the museum seem more interesting than it actually was. Upon boarding the bus the tour guide tried selling printed pictures of my camel ride for €5;
- All this was followed by a ride back to our accommodation which took at least 2hrs due to all the drop offs finishing at 8pm.
Overall it was a pretty poor experience - the tour is mainly aimed at fleecing you, not teaching you about the history or culture of Lanzarote. You could easily squeeze in all the interesting bits within 3hrs by renting a car or finding a better shorter tour and spare yourself the remaining 7hrs of being held hostage.
Absolutely 100% avoid this tour.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.