“Hotel Miramar, suitable for adults away on a budget”
Review of Hotel Miramar

Hotel Miramar
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Arrecife
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I stayed in Hotel Miramar for ten nights in March 2014. I visited Lanzarote to view all that it had to offer. I had decided that Arrecife would be my base due to the fact that the main bus terminal on the island is in Arrecife. I viewed hotel reviews on this site and others and decided that Hotel Miramar would suit my needs. I simply needed somewhere to sleep and shower. I did not intend to spend much of my waking hours in the hotel.

I slept excellently while staying in Hotel Miramar. There was no problems with noise. Most of the other guests seemed to be short term guests on business. The time of year that I stayed was not the peak time for tourists.

The room was clean. I had booked a single room but received a double room at no extra cost. There were two single beds and enough storage space for two peoples luggage. The bathroom was also clean and spacious. The towels and toiletries were replaced promptly. There was two problems with my room. The handle on the front door was falling off and the balcony door was broken and did not slide open. This did not bother me. I did not wish to use the balcony. It was very small and my room was at the rear of the building which did not have a view worth looking at. If views are important then you should request a room at the front of the hotel.

Hotel Miramar is on the coast. It is opposite Castillo de San Gabriel. The second street to the right seems to be the main shopping district in Arrecife. There are plenty of clothes shops for men and women. There are pharmacies and also a supermarket. A few minutes walk to the left and you will find El Charco de San Gines. A popular attraction in Arrecife, El Charco de San Gines is lined with cafes and restaurants.

Hotel Miramar is about a 10-15 minute walk to the beach and it is also about a 15-20 minute walk to the bus terminals. It is possible to get a bus to and from the airport. I had to book a taxi to the airport when I was leaving. The man at the front desk organised the taxi for me. It cost about €15.

Hotel Miramar does not have all the amenities of a holiday resort. There is no pool, gym or games room. Parking is extremely limited. There is a bar and restaurant. I did not try these so I cannot comment on them. The staff in Hotel Miramar did not speak English. Not many people in Arrecife do speak English. However, the staff were nice an pleasant.

If you are single or travelling with a group of adults then Hotel Miramar will be just fine. It is cheap, clean and has free wifi. I do not recommend it for a family holiday. A night or two might be fine but definitely not a week. The hotel has nothing for children and neither does Arrecife.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
12  Thank Gavin M

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I think it depends on what you expect from a holiday in Lanzarote as to whether this hotel is for you. I agree with the majority of comments made by other visitors, but I question whether I would have stayed here with hindsight for a week, especially as I was travelling alone. I think this is a good hotel for a short stay with the intention of shopping in Arrecife and a quick visit to the local tourist resorts.

The hotel is clean, spacious and quiet (I know others have said that it is noisy, but I believe that is due to other residents and not the hotel). The staff are friendly enough, but they do not speak sufficient english, if any at all, to give the advice and information needed. I felt stranded when I arrived and the reception staff could only give me a map with a few circles to explain where the town, information centre and beach was located. Any further information I had to find by stopping passers by. One reception staff member communicated with me using a voice translator programme on his phone and this did help, a funny experience though.

The hotel amenities states that there is a beach... This is a 20 minute walk from the hotel (although it is possible on low tide that there may be sand across the road). It says that there is free car parking... This is at a €7 per night charge and is locked at 10pm. I didn't find breakfast great, especially at €8. There was loads of different bread available, boiled egg, fruit, a few cereals and cheese/salami. Yes there was a lot of it (which was mostly still left out in the evening when I went to see the views from the restaurant). The evening restaurant menu had only 2 food choices advertised and available only Monday to Friday. I couldn't get the staff to understand my request for a snack or where I could go to get one. There are a few restaurants behind the hotel, which I didn't try as they didn't speak english and I couldn't understand what the food menu was advertising or the prices! They also didn't seem the most hygienic. There are fast food or snack bars in the town, so to get a meal the only places I could find were 20 minutes walk near the Gran Hotel, or a five minute walk to the man made harbour where there were restaurants.

To visit anywhere, the buses needed are a good 20 minute walk. The main bus station is 20 minutes walk behind the hotel through the shopping centre and on. There is a good link between Costa Tequise and Peurto Del Carmen via Arricife, every 20 mins.The bus outside of the hotel well.... all I could gather was that they drove around the town and some went via the bus station but where else they went I have no idea.

This is a good hotel, but actually was not ideal for a holiday stay, only a stop off for a few days.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Keele11
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The Hotel Miramar is located across the road from the promenade, with pedestrianised shopping streets just round the corner. I did not eat in the hotel as there is a great choice of cafes and restaurants within a 5 minute walk in any direction.

The room was fine - decent size, lots of storage space and a comfortable bed - and kept very clean. The WiFi service delivered a good speed, but was occasionally unavailable. I had a room at the back looking over one of the shopping streets. Nice and quiet apart from Saturday night when live football and what sounded like a karaoke competition created a lot of noise from 19:00 until around 23:00.

The staff were generally friendly and helpful, but it was very clear that English was not their first language!

I was there for 3 nights and it suited me fine, but I would not recommend it for families as it does lack extra facilities and the nearest sandy beach is a 10 minute walk away.

In summary, the hotel itself probably only warrants a rating of 3, but I have given it a 4 because of its great position.

Room Tip: The rooms in the front overlook a road that is never entirely free from traffic except on Sunday, wh...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank traveller669
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Very good,helpful and friendly staff...In a good position with lovely full sea view from the Balcony....Rooms are clean, compact but adequate for a couple of days but not a holiday.Breakfast was continental and plentiful.

Room Tip: 5th Floor for great views and quietness.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank joanslade
Reviewed 29 December 2013

This hotel was booked as a last-minute getaway for the Christmas holiday.
On the whole, the hotel was clean, we'll positioned in the town (seafront) with a lovely communal balcony on the top floor.
What let this hotel down terribly for us was the lack of quality customer service provided by the reception staff....and the wifi was practically non-existent.
At check in, we were given an "interior standard room" which had twin beds (we are a couple) and absolutely stank of cigarette smoke. When we returned to reception to ask for an alternative room, the receptionist told us that only seafront rooms had double beds and that would cost us an extra 100 euros for the week even though the hotel appeared practically empty (good to know for anyone thinking of booking this hotel in the future).
He did not seem to understand/care about the issue with the awful stink in the interior room.

Having settled on the seafront room, we finished checking in though the receptionist made no mention of any other services available (which we found out about by accident later in the week).....these included....coffee machine in reception.....computer in reception....and not least of all, a Christmas dinner menu on the 6th floor on the evening of Dec 25th which, considering that the majority of Arrecife was shut on that evening would have made our lives so much easier to
plan that meal...
We had booked room only for the week and used the buffet breakfast option for a few days though upon check out we found that the hotel had charged for more than we had used.....considering our flight was at 7am, and we were checking out at 5, I did not appreciate having to argue with the receptionist over this (he insisted the computer said the amount owed and "there's no way this could be wrong").....
Overall, lack of service spoiled what would have otherwise been a decent hotel stay.
P.s...if you are a light sleeper, be aware that traffic noise along the seafront in practically constant through the day and night.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Speedee007
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed at the Miramar, Arrecife, for 2 nights in mid-November 2013 and on a Bed and Breakfast basis. This is a medium sized hotel across the road from the promenade and a block away from the main shopping centre of Arrecife with its host of shops, bars and restaurants and just a five minute taxi ride to the airport.

On checking in I was allocated a clean and comfortable room on the third floor with twin beds and en-suite bathroom with over the bath shower. The room also had a fridge.

There wasn’t a safe in the room but there were several safety deposit boxes in reception which you could use free of charge.

Breakfast was taken in a bright, modern ground floor restaurant and comprised a traditional continental buffet which was more than adequate.

There is a roof top sun deck with sun beds for catching the sun and this also offers great views along the coast and out to sea.

All in all a modern, clean and comfortable hotel and if staying in Arrecife in future then I will certainly consider this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank Andy_1956
Reviewed 6 September 2013

A good value hotel overlooking the sea in Arrecife. I stayed here for three nights while visiting friends who lived nearby. Breakfast was a buffet laid out in the restaurant on the top floor with a large terrace overlooking the sea. A good business travellers hotel

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank David R
Mercedes M, Director Comercial at Hotel Miramar, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Thank you very much for your stay at our hotel and share your opinion. Gracias.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Arrecife
Hotel Diamar
5 mi away
Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive
Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive
#28 of 91 in Puerto Del Carmen

Been to Hotel Miramar? Share your experiences!