“Wonderful Hotel: Its a shame the chef couldn't boil the breakfast eggs properly”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Valle Mar

Valle Mar
Ranked #14 of 80 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
YORKSHIRE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2010

Just spent 3 weeks at this hotel, one of the best hotels I have stayed at. It was spotless, the staff where all excellent including the cleaners who did everything possible to ensure that my room had what I needed (I have Rheumatoid Arthritis). The hotel is in the ideal spot and the pool upstairs is a bonus (the views are superb from there). Managed to get a sun bed okay.
English people where in the minority, but it didn't cause any problems, though the food was more geared for the other nations, there was normally something available which suited, the boiled egg problem at breakfast led from the fact that one morning both eggs I chose where not cooked and the following day the only two available where one that someone had put their finger through and the other which was cracked all over, I then was expected to wait whilst they cooked me some more, a small problem but it should not have happened. There where many people at this hotel who where on a return visit for the 3rd, 4th or 5th time. Certainly gave me a good base to explore Tenerife which I was very impressed with.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank 2TWO2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Finnish first
Tamworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

The central location is ideal for exploring the town. The hotel is very comfortable and the staff are extremely friendly. Very comfortable and clean rooms rooms(mine overlooked the small garden and was sunny all day).There was a huge and varied choice of food for breakfast and dinner.The standard of which was excellent.As the pool is on the roof you have beautiful panoramic views of the town, I have stayed in many of the hotels in Puerto and this is definitely in the top 3.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank jolacruz
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2010

I have stayed at this hotel before, but this time I found it had changed, and not for the better.

It has a splendid location, very handy for strolling and close to the shops and cafes. My room was OK, it was positioned alongside the terrace, but the en suite was a dissapointment.. There was no bath only a shower cubicle, too small to be comfortable, nowhere to put anything, so you have to bend down in a resticted space. I have no idea what shower gel and shampoo they are providing, but it smells foul, Molton Brown it is not! The air conditioning was on full, but made very little improvement.

A mini bar can be used at a price, on top of this charge you pay an extra 3 euros for a key to lock it. Why on earth I would want to lock a fridge, perhaps in case someone wanted to help themselves to my chocolate. Saying that I paid for the key, only to discover there was no lock, the bracket that attached the 'mini bar' door had broken. The only reason I 'paid' for this 'mini bar' was to keep my own drinks cold, however I found this fridge not working, in fact it was warm and musty. The chilled drinks they brought me were soon warm, On mentioning this to reception, I was told this was not a fridge, but more an 'insulation box' just keeping things 'chilled. I reported this 4 times, but nobody ever did anything about it, hopeless beyond belief. In the end with the drinks they provide intact, and warm, I asked for my money back. This was granted.

I have looked at other hotels in the area, and all seem to be of a better standing than the Valle Mar, bearing in mind this is quite expensive to stay in, I would NOT return. Pretty pathetic.

The restaurant was OK, if you arrive at 6.30 sharp the food is hot and not shrivelled. Staff are friendly enough.

Please note, that unlike the other hotels and McDonalds, this hotel does NOT have WIFI, very very annoying, they have a placard on reception stating that they do not allow it due to danger of radiation, instead you can use their booth with computer at cost, apparantly the radiation is not a problem in the 'superior rooms' which they charge an extra 26 euros a night, they did offer it to me for 20 euros, a very very expensive WIFI! I was informed I could sit in the street and pick up a signal, not very satisfactory when it confidential matters. Instead I used the hotel next door, where strangely enough nobody seemed to be affected by radiation!

I felt this hotel was lacking in people skills, I certainly felt it was far too exoensive for what you received. I will not return.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
5 Thank Bikingdiver
Waterlooville, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2009

we stayed for the month of november 2009 and had an excelent time except as we are English and like to mix with people to chat and make new friends ,staying at this hotel was not possible as all the other guest were german or norwegian and if they spoke english would not converse with us,therefore that is why we have not given this hotel a 5 star. Would we go back to this hotel no solely because of the lack of english patrons and also all the staff are geared up for the germans, i would recommend going to the south if you want to be with english although the north has better scenery
However this is what i thought of the hotel :-
Food excelent had theme nights whch added a good variety and each night there was at least 7 choices of meat / fish courses with lots of salds as well
accomodation was good although i would not recommend spending another £500 on a seaview roomas the view is nothig special unless you have a high floor room
Staff Mostly very good but all tended to speak more german than english so they chatted more to the germas than us ,we do realise this is partially our fault for not learnig spanish
If you nhave a hire car which we did there is no parking at all unless you are lucky to find a spot somewhere on the road which was very difficult otherwise we had to park in the free carpark about 15 mins from the hotel
Bye the way it is true what thye say about the germans with their towels on loungers they would go up before breakfats and cover the longers with theer towels how pathetic is that?
if you have a lower room you can get disturbed by the tradesmen and cleaners outside we did but it didnt affect us as we get up fairly early anyway
we wre alsom dissapointed the we couldnt walk alon the coast line as it is compltely fenced in by a large bathing complex that charges for entry, although good value if that what you want

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cahersiveen
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2009

Stayed there for 4 nights on Sep. 2009 on vacation with my wife. The hotel is located right on the center of the main coast of Puerto, in front of the "artificial beach".
We ordered it the night before from a different location through the site. Since the hotel site is all spanish we missed the fact that the deal we took (79E for half board instead of 91 for B&B) was for Canary residents only. When we got to the hotel the manager explained us the mistake and told us that since we ordered only the night before and she could not reach us to correct our mistake - she will honor our reservation. All that said with a smile. Staff also helped us whenever we needed assistance calling the volcano authoroties to check if open, and planning road trips.
Indeed the hotel and rooms decor is 80's style, and furniture may be a little old, but still well maintained. Rooms clean and tidy, and tiny swimming pool on the roof is charming.
Breakfast was ok, with discent variety of food. Missed a bit more vegetables.
As we didn't plan on half-board, we tried it only 2/4 nights - one was very poor, and the other "spanish night" was excellent.
No parking though, since the hotel is beach road is closed to private cars. Parked on nearby streets. Not easy to find parking most hours of the day. Free large parking lot at the port 10-15 min. walk.
Guests were Spanish, British and Germans.
I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank giln
bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2009

We have stayed at this hotel three times and maybe don't want to share the experience with others in case it gets too popular. Guests are very mixed - Spanish/German/French/Scandinavian/Few English. This mix added to our holiday experience. However, our expectations of a hotel do not include evening entertainment - so consider this when reviewing our experience. There is much to do in the area, so you don't need to rely on your hotel to provide entertainment.

On our first visit we were at the back of the hotel - view over a block of flats and quite dark. On our second and third visits we booked a sea view room - what a different experience. Can't quite remember the room layout (agree that there is a lot of dark wood - but nothing sinister). We were over the entrance/reception area and my husband, who does not enjoy the best of health, had a wonderful time 'watching the world go by'. Had no noise problems from outside or room to room which is hugely important to us if considering visiting a hotel again.

The view is great - and the whole area is extremely safe - I usually go for a very early morning walk on my own (female - 57) and felt completely happy with the experience. Would happily do the walk along the front late in the evening on my own.

Breakfast at the hotel is 5* and the evening meal 4* - but the experience exceeds this - due to the cosmopolitan guests - just sit back and enjoy!

Staff - generally OK - but the receptionists (mostly male) have a bit of attitude - you just have to live with this and stand up to them
- we have never had a problem which was not solved eventually.

Don't visit this hotel if you want latest technology & modern decor - but if you are happy with comfortable rooms and good international standard service try this hotel.

We are planning to go back in October for our 25th Wedding Anniversary - having considered all the other hotels we have visited - we have only been back to two hotels more than twice - so they must be doing something right.

Don't think they have a commercial attitude, but maybe that is their strength. The position is excellent - we have stayed in one other hotel in the area - but they don't have the view - view from the front of the hotel cannot be improved and we are seasoned travellers.

I will happily answer any question you may have on this hotel and Puerto de la Cruz which may help in your choice of hotel.

Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank nortons21
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2008

We had a package tour and stayed a week at this hotel.
The staff seemed a bit tired of tourists and there was not much attention uppon arrival and departure at the reception.
The room was a bit dark because of the wooden panelling but looked clean. There was no internet connection but a television.
We had a wonderful view from the nice balcony towards the sea and the large pool area in Puerto de la Cruz.
There is no traffic only pedestrians on the street in front of the hotel. So be sure to get a room with a seaview and balcony towards the front street.
There is a nice cafe Cafe de Paris close to the entrance.
Both the breakfast buffet and the breakfast restaurant were large and situated on the second floor.
The collection however sadly a bit too much dedicated to the many germans that frequent this hotel no spanish or canarian feeling.
There is a small pool on the top of the hotel but with not that many sunbeds.
In all a clean standard hotel without any extra luxury.

• Liked — The view from the room and balcony
  • Disliked — No attention from the staff
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Swedish_Traveller