Puerto de la Cruz is a busy town with lots of traffic. The Sol Melia is situated on a main road into the centre and therefore half of the rooms numbered in the 20’s and 30’s face the pool, the mountains and this road. This is fine is you want an early start as the road quietens in the evening, but remember the rooms look out onto this road and therefore people can see into the rooms on a number of floors. The rest of the rooms face the town, the sea and a camino behind the hotel. However, some of these rooms numbered in the upper 30’s and low 40’s are above the lounge area and have the noise of the nightly entertainments which finish at midnight and, depending what this is, the bass beats can be intrusive.
The rooms themselves are adequately furnished but in ours the carpet should have been replaced some years ago, as should the bed linen, which was worn and had been poorly darned in places. The cleaning was adequate but in no way obsessive – maybe they only do this in between guests. However they did replace the towels most days which was unnecessary.
The restaurant, as with any large hotel, appeared, on the surface at least, to comply with food hygiene requirements, however we noted a great deal of chipped crockery and glassware. This would not be acceptable in a U.K. establishment due to its ability to biologically or physically contaminate food. We found the service and food replenishment was noticeably poorer when the Maitre D was not on duty. Also they did not appear to have sufficient crockery as there were times, both morning and evening, when there were no fresh plates available. When fresh supplies arrived these were often wet and needed to be dried off before use, another issue as far as food safety is concerned. Generally there was a wide range of food choices and the cooking standard was satisfactory.
Our main issue with this hotel was the lack of security. Our room was accessed (no sign of forced entry) and our bags opened, searched and items stolen. The hotel staff appeared to be not too interested, nor did the national police in Puerto de la Cruz police station – who claimed not to speak English. The hotel staff did not seem to understand that our complaint was that their security was apparently non- existent. We were offered an alternative room but declined as there was no point if any room could so easily be opened. We felt that we were entitled to some sort of feedback from the manager who claimed to be able to check the computerised access records, but we did not hear any more from him. He seemed to spend a lot of his time collecting plates in the restaurant – surely not one of his most pressing duties. Our advice would be therefore not to leave anything of value in the room and to hire the room safe although we had heard that this was not necessarily foolproof. The most disconcerting thing for us was less about the minor loss but the fact that it was so easy for someone to enter the room and search through our possessions.
All in all we felt that although the hotel has great potential it is poorly managed. We would not advise others to avoid this hotel however after our experience we won’t be returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Puerto de la Cruz is located in the residential area of La Paz of Puerto de la Cruz, with fantastic views towards the sea or towards Mount Teide. The hotel has been recently refurbished and is surrounded by a splendid subtropical garden with a large variety of regional plants.It is situated 10 minutes from the city centre and from the Martiánez swimming pool and artifitial lake complex, creation of the lanzaroteño artist César Manrique.The capital Santa Cruz is 35 km away and the airports Reina Sofía (south) and Los Rodeos (north) are 96 km and 25 km away respectively. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Ebookers, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Puerto de la Cruz reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sol Puerto De La Cruz Hotel Puerto De La Cruz
- Puerto De La Cruz Sol
- Hotel Puerto De La Cruz Tenerife