“Very enjoyable stay - Perfect Break - Great VFM - Staff make the stay - Room for Improvements”

Hotel Puerto de la Cruz
Ranked #17 of 80 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

I recently returned from a week’s stay in the hotel with my partner. My parents have both stopped in this hotel once before too and informed me that the hotel used to be a ‘sol’ –perhaps the change of hand contributed to some of the disturbances people are writing about.

However, we had a brilliant week. I don’t often trust tripadvisor, everyone had their own opinion and always is different. But, for just under £700.00 – 2pax, 7nts, H/B what are you expecting?
I am aware that people may have spent more or less than this but, this hotel offers what any typical Canarian hotel would; a bed, a clean room, pools and sunbeds.
The pools are cool, yes, but, they are all like this in the Canaries, unless you’re in the summer months.

The main pool is heated – slightly warmer than most other pools I’ve even been in, in the Canaries. The top pool is significantly cooler but, both are VERY clean and the grounds are perfectly maintained. The lifeguards are brilliant around the pools, finding sunbeds the second they see you looking around, moving them around for you, fetching towels - you name it, and they always do it with a smile.

The hotel itself is nice, it’s clean, rooms too although, the bed may have been a touch on the hard side, we had no issues with the room. It was modern and clean, (I'm aware some parts of the hotel are being done up) For a good view and balcony with sun most of the time go for the higher floors overlooking the Mountains. When there's no cloud the view is beautiful.
Sadly, there was no A/C (in the winter months it’s turned off) which was a shame, but the reception staff helped by sending up a fan (within 5 minutes of us asking) along with 2 additional pillows.

The food, is standard, Dinner: unfortunately we never made it down before 9pm, so we often got the ends of the food – which were pretty… cold, but we expected it, and mainly it was just to nibble. The hall was always very busy, as to be expected, but the waiting staff always made it a pleasure, they did their best for us. Breakfast: Brilliant, I LOVE runny eggs and toast, every resort I’ve ever been to previously never manages to cook these well, they’re either cold, or hard… But not here, they are very good at cooking in this hotel; it’s just a shame that the options were slightly repetitive.

The hotel was ‘full of old people’ yes, but, this resort largely caters for the older generation and, the German nationality but, to be honest, I’d much prefer to spend my holiday around such folk (quiet and reserved) than loud mouthed English (as we had the misfortune of being in the room next door to):
This would be my only complaint, and I’d like to THANK the two Newcastle (I’m assuming) ladies who repetitively woke us up anywhere between 3am right through until 6am with their impeccable renditions of 70’s pop hits, screeches of laughter, loud mouthed common chatter, mockery and taboo. Well done, you successfully made my week so much harder to sleep.
The following quote was particularly entertaining: ‘The reception have asked us to keep the noise down, I mean, you’re all inclusive, if people are asleep at this time (4am) something’s wrong, you’re meant to do what you want on holiday, relax, go to bed when you want, get up when you want’ >> Well, I’d just like to say that NOT everyone was all inclusive in the hotel, and I was doing what I wanted on holiday, I was trying to relax before you started your god-awful performances during the early hours of the mornings, I did go to bed when I wanted (considering I work from 7 – 7 every day I think it’s not unreasonable to want a bit of sleep on holiday!) so, going to bed between 11 / 12 and waking up at a normal human hour of 8 / 9am is what most people do… or at least tried to until you got involved.
At your age, you women should be ashamed, it’s clear to see the example some people set to the younger generations and, no surprise we get branded with such a bad name. Albeit the disruptions of these women that ruined my week, the reception staff tried every night to help with this issue, however the courteous ladies just continued and ignored the calls and knocks on the door.

On a lighter and more final note: The staffs at this hotel were brilliant, they were always helpful and smiling, there was nothing that they couldn't’ / wouldn't do for you. With a particular mention for Geronimo in the kitchen – he was a pleasure to see.
I had a great week here; (minus the small disturbances) I hope you do too! And Please don’t be put off by bad reviews, it’s great for a cheap week… plenty to see and do around you, with a beautiful square down in the town centre. Also, try the Spanish and German bars along the top (behind the La Paz hotel) there are some really nice, cheap bars – with brilliant Sangria!

Room Tip: Overlooking the Mountain, higher floors - sun all day and brilliant views.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kayt47
Jose_LC, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, 23 November 2012
Dear Kayt47,

On behalf of the entire team of this hotel I would like to convey to you our sincere thanks for your positive comments and also for sharing your satisfaction with us. It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your holiday with us and that you found particularly close and friendly the group of persons who had the privilege of caring for you and your partner.

Your excellent feedback on our staff. facilities, service, room and swimming pools encourages us to continue offering our customers the best service.

I deeptly regret that you were disturbed by the noisy guests allocated for 3 nights in the room adjacent to yours, we did our very best to put an end to it but obviously with no avail, please accept my sincere apologies to this respect.

I am proud to know that we have lived up to your expectations and thank you once again for leaving your kind comments on your stay with us in Trip Advisor.

Hoping to have the pleasure of receiveing you, your partner and perhaps your parents also once again in the future,

Best Regards,

José Luis Cuevas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Basildon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

My girlfriend and I returned from our stay at the "Puerto de la Cruz" hotel yesterday (13/11/12).

I don't know if this is just due to the time of year of our holiday, but the hotel is very popular with Germans and people over 50. Well over half the people staying at the hotel were German, and the average age of all the holiday makers was well over 50. One German woman even shuffled around on a zimmer frame (even on the dance floor). This review is about the hotel though, so I won't go into my opinion on the friendliness and politeness (or the utter lack of both) of the Germans staying there.

We were half-board, so we sampled the breakfasts and the dinners. Both were merely all right. Breakfasts (7.30am - 10.30am) were the standard continental fare, but there were lots of different things to choose from, albeit that the hot food often wasn't that hot.

The dinners (6.30pm - 10pm) were of a similar standard, nothing to write home about. The best thing I can say about them was that the chips were nice... The first time we entered the restaurant, another couple approached us and explained what to do, especially concerning the drinks at dinner. They said that the best thing to do was to take drinks in with you from the bar, as the waiters won't ask you what you want. We took their advice, and the third time we took drinks in from the bar, the manager approached us and told us that it wasn't allowed. We explained that nobody had ever taken our drinks order for dinner, and he said that this would change from tomorrow, and to be fair it did.

We never stayed all inclusive, but a couple that did asked for an omlette and chips for lunch. They were pointed to a fridge in which to take the already-made omlette and chips out of, and heat it up themselves in a microwave.

The entertainment was awful. There is a resident DJ called "Peter Disco" who is German, and plays mainly German disco hits from the 70's. Honestly, the whole time I was there I never heard any song played from the last 20 years. Other than Peter Disco there is a guitarist who plays songs like "Strangers in the Night" or "New York, New York". Then there's a female vocalist who sang songs like... "Strangers in the Night" or "New York, New York". After listening to them for a few nights (due to the terrible rain we had) we couldn't bear it any more and had to go out at night.

The location of the hotel isn't bad at all. Puerto de la Cruz is VERY hilly, so wherever you go expect lots of steps or steep uphill climbs. I cannot emphasise that enough. A taxi to the "livelier" areas of the resort only costs 3.5 Euros if you don't want to arrive everywhere with aching legs.

The hotel has two swimming pools, but we only sampled one of them, the main one. It was very cold.

The rooms are basic, comfortable and were very clean. Maids came in every day to make the beds, tidy up and change the towels. They have a safe and a fridge, but of which you have to pay for on a daily basis. For a better view ask for a room on the third floor or above, as the hotel is below road level. Our room was on the second floor and was dark - we had to have a light on the whole time we were in our room. Also, the air conditioning had been switched off since October, and that's something we really missed.

For what it cost us, it wasn't a bad hotel, but I don't think I'd stay there again. Looking around the resort of Puerto de la Cruz there were far nicer ones available for a similar price.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank not_gray
Jose_LC, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, 16 November 2012
Dear not_gray,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your experience amongst us with other TripAdvisor travellers and secondly, I am very pleased that you appreciated our location and were happy with your room.

With respects to our location, we offer our clients a free bus service to/from our Hotel to the Commertial Center Martiánez, which operates all day at hourly intervals. I´m sorry you were not aware of this service. Concerning the air conditioning of the rooms, this is only connected during the Summer months.

Thank you for your reviews on our breakfast and dinner buffets although I am quite surprised about your comment on the ready-made omlette and chips taken from a fridge during the lunch hour. There must have been some misunderstanding because if a clients wishes an omlette at this time of the day, it is freshly made in the kitchen and the chips are on the buffet range.

I appreciate your criticism on our evening enternainment and have taken into account your comments in order to update the songs and improve our offer.

I regret your negative impression with respect to the group of German guests, we do our utmost to provide the best service to all our customers. Never the less, I´m sorry your encounters with them where not to your liking.

Finally, I´m pleased that you found our Hotel good value for money and I certainly hope you will take into consideration you decision of not visiting us again in the future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a week here. On the up side the staff are friendly & hard working. The mountain views are fab.

Despite advertising it as air conditioned IT IS NOT, it has apparently been "broken" for 7 months and no plans to replace it in the near future, so in the Tenerife heat the room are stifling, we had to leave the balcony door open at night, but then the noise from the busy main road disturbed your sleep.
We had a down pour of rain which promptly leaked through the ceiling of the dinning room and reception area, buckets & puddles every where. The patio area has very comfy cane furniture with wifi in range that is free for 2hrs at a time, due to the rain there were blankets put down to soak up the water, the same blankets that were on the beds......

The food was grim, after paying half board we ate out every evening, the breakfast, every morning consisted of boiled sausage, hard bacon and Luke warm beans the eggs were cooked on a hot plate and crispy round the edge, a lot of German food for the vast majority of German holiday makers.

We paid €13:20 for a safe for the week, our first night it wouldn't lock, when we informed reception we were told "I am on my own there is nothing I can do until tomorrow" we got the same reply when requesting extra pillows, the pillow on the bed was wafer thin even folded over it was like having no pillow at all.

Neither of the pools were heated.

The Thompson Rep doesn't even visit it, you are asked to trek down a steep incline to another hotel if you need him, the info board print out hadn't been updated so when we looked for our pick up time it stated 15:40hrs in front of the hotel, our flight was 14:50hrs, we emailed Thompson and asked for pick up time, they replied quickly enough but only to inform us that we would have to go see the Rep as the times posted "must be a mistake" and their system was down so they couldn't check !!!
We eventually tracked the rep down the day before we left, on voicing our concerns as above, you could tell he had had this conversation many, many times before as he stated we know about the probs with the air con you should have been informed as you booked ! We felt he just wasnt interested, we told him we searched specifically for a 4/5 star hotel and this was listed as such, his reply "we rate it as 3 stars" we informed him that it is still listed as 4star on the web page, he shrugged his shoulders saying "we'll I can't argue with that", he gave us our pick up time and that was that !! There were other couples there from our hotel voicing the same concerns, one couple asking to be moved to a true 4star that they had paid for, his reply "the resort is fully booked, I will see if I can get you a fan"

The flights to and from with Thompson were trouble free and comfortable, just a pity about the hotel.

Definitely NOT a 4 star.

Puerto De La Cruz is a lovely place more lush than the south side.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Aquaeyes
Jose_LC, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
Dear Aquaeyes,

Thank you for sending us your comments on our hotel, these provide us with an excellent tool which helps us to improve our services and facilities, more so if we have failed to live up to your demands, for which I duly apologize. It is a pity that we did not comment personally during your stay points such as the air conditioning in your room, our food, safes and temperature of the pools. I have taken into account your comment on the pillows.

With regards to the air conditioning, this service is available in the summer months so in November it is no longer operating. I am also greatly surprised by your comments regarding our food, since the vast majority of our customers praise its quality. Food is prepared directly on our show cooking range (meat, fish, pasta), the rest of the products of our buffet is produced in our central kitchen.

The safes in our rooms are managed by an exterior company who comes to the hotel when we request their services, they do not work night shifts.

As you know, we have two adult swimming pools, the main one by our pool bar has a temperature between 24 and 25 degrees.

Concerning the down pour of rain during your stay, unfortunately Tenerife and most of the other islands suffered an unusual storm of wind and rain that left our area with 105 litres of water per square metre during 3 hours. We are sorry you were troubled by the leaks we had in our Restaurant and Reception areas, we did our best to control the situation as soon as possible.

Thank you for your positive opinion on our helpful and friendly staff, this encourages us to continue to give our customers the best service.

Once again, please accept my apologies for not having covered your expectations on this occasion, yours sincerely,

san francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

this hotel was in my point of view very good, and what we expected! the main negative thing which was not as bad as it seems was that you had to go down a lot of stairs to get down to the main beach promenade (the tourist spot). But it was only 10-15 minutes walk and was still in a very central location. Other than that it was great because you had parking and the 2 pools were very nice and the buffets were good especially at the price we got. for 50 euros approximately for two people you got half board, a great deal! Also i chose it because it had a garage while a lot of the hotels in more central locations did not, although they said that you could go about 15 minutes and park the car in a free parking lot, but this seemed better and safer to have hotel parking.
the room was i agree with other reviews a bit antiquated but it was clean and the bathroom had been renovated not long ago, so very nice!
we had a partial ocean view because we had a low floor (4) and it was nice because the weather was beautiful while we were there
we had free wifi, BUT it was not too good, we had to go to the corner of the room to get connected so most of the time it is best to go to reception area which is pretty good and free!
we were very happy with our choice!!
and tenerife is beautiful definately worth seeing!

Room Tip: higher floor
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pitufala
Jose_LC, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Dear pitufala,

First of all I would like to thank you very much for having chosen the Sol Puerto de la Cruz for your holidays and also for having shared your experience amongst us with other Tripadvisor travellers.

It is always a pleasure for us to receive positive comments on our services, buffet and installations and to know you were happy with your choice, this makes all our hard work worthwhile and helps us to continue with our efforts to offer the best service posible.

With respect to the distance to the tourist center of Puerto de la Cruz, we have a shuttle bus that covers this distance eight times during the morning and seven during the afternoon. I´m sorry you were not aware of this service. I also take note of your comments on our wi-fi in order to improve our internet connection as best we can.

Thank you very much once again for your kind comments and I hope to have the pleasure of greeting you personally should you visit us again in the future.

With Kind Regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

Really enjoyed the stay at the hotel, staff were excellent, rooms great with great views, not sure if the air con worked or not, the temp outside was about 20 in the night so just left the doors open. It was my wifes birthday while we were there and they provided 2 small bottles of bubbly which was a nice surprise.

Best part for us was the rear swimming pool which was almost always empty and perfectly situated to watch the sunset over the sea, still lovely and warm at 7 in the evening. Along side this was a excellent tennis court and a couple of table tennis tables.

Some great restaurants in town filling the narrow streets with candlelit tables and really excellent value, eg 2 euros for 250ml glass of wine, 16 for a fillet steak,

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Swanseadunvant
Jose_LC, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Dear Swanseadunvant,

First of all I would like to thank you for informing other Tripadvisor travellers of your good experience in our hotel. I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed a very pleasant stay amongst us and your good feedback on our facilities, staff, room, swimming pools and garden areas pleases us and encourages us to continue offering our customers the best service.

I hope to have the pleasure of greeting you during a future stay in our Hotel. Meanwhile, receive warm greetings fron the beautiful island of Tenerife.

Devon, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

My husband and I travelled with my father who is in his 70's and my brother and his daughter who is 9.
On the minus side (applies to all 3 rooms), the air-con did not work, the fridge being inside a cupboard did not work (in two cases it actually leaked) and the evening entertainment of Peter and his 'disco' or Beatrix and her 'singing' actually drove us to go elsewhere of an evening. There was nothing for children to do either, but then again it is October!
On the plus side, the hotel was immaculately clean, the staff were polite and courteous - doing everything they could to help and always with a smile, the food was varied and very tasty, the pools were lovely (again very clean) and the public areas were safe, beautifully kept and pleasant to sit in. Two of our rooms faced Teide, and views were amazing, changing every hour of every day. My father's room had a view of the town and the sea, which he liked as well.
The hotel is not far from town (down some stairs) and we all really enjoyed our visit, which was all-inclusive with Thompson - great value for money and we would visit the same hotel again.

Room Tip: Personally I'd go for the mountain view every time, but the balcony gets the sun all morning and...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jotonymarshalldevon
Dear jotonymarshalldevon,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor. It is very gratifying to know that you and your family had a pleasant stay amongst us and that you felt close and welcoming the group of persons that had the privilege of attending you.

The personalized and friendly service has and always will be a symbol of identity of this hotel and our aspiration is that all those who visit us perceives this effort. I am also very pleased to know that our services and facilities were to your liking and that you enjoyed our buffet selection.

On the other hand, I am sorry our evening entertainment was not to your liking and did not meet your expectations.

Newcastle under lyme
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

This hotel has polite friendly staff in all areas and they speak a number of languages. We were made to feel very welcome and the only problem we had during our stay was the air conditioning in our room didn't work, reception brought a fan to our room straight away and all was well. Room was spacious with three beds as we had our teenage son with us, bathroom was modern and clean. We were in room 445 which overlooked the town and sea and was very quiet plus the sun didn't catch our balcony until late afternoon which suited us. We stayed half board and food was excellent with lots of choice, only food we noticed that was a little cool were the baked beans at breakfast but there is a microwave if you wanted to make anything a bit hotter. Breakfast served until 10.30am and dinner served until 10pm which was very handy. We used the lower pool by the pool bar and gardens and this was a lovely setting with plenty of sunbeds available as they are not allowed to be reserved by towels. Pool depth the same all the way around allowing an adult to stand up. Courtesy bus takes you down to the indoor shoppingcentre at the bottom of the steps, it would of been better if it had dropped off in town by mcdonalds or further over towards playa jardin as these were a long walk. Puerto de la cruz is a lovely town and quite big with lots of streets to get lost in. Hotel is very quiet in the evening, we tended to walk down the hill into town but a couple of nights we went up the hill towards the botanical gardens to go to the bars up there. Not much in the way of entertainment in resort, mini golf up the hill and a couple of arcades down the hill, live entertainment on Saturday nights in some bars. We had a very relaxed and enjoyable holiday, thank you to all the staff at Sol Puerto de la Cruz!!

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the town and sea are quieter as rooms overlooking the pool also overlook the road.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Alison S
Jose_LC, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Dear Alison S

On behalf of all the staff of this hotel, I would like to thank you very much for your kind comments after your recent stay amongst us. It is very gratifying to know that you had such a pleasant stay amongst us and that you felt close and welcoming the group of persons that had the privilege of attending you. The personalized and friendly service has and always will be a symbol of identity of this hotel and our aspiration is that all those who visit us perceives this effort.

Hoping to have the pleasure of greeting you on a future occasion, receive warm greetings from Tenerife.