“Good for the price”

Hotel Puerto de la Cruz
Ranked #19 of 81 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Reception and restaurant staff very helpful.

Interesting range of barman. Probably need to review training to make sure they can all mix same range of cocktails.

Very clean in rooms. Hotel is a bit dated and reminds of the 70s built comprehensive school that I went to BUT you must remember that it was at a budget price so it's fine. The same goes for the food.

Whilst the staff are great, we found with our two year old there seems to be a lot of miserable clients here that didn't like kids although on our last day there were a lot more kids it seemed to change so we weren't in the minority so much.

I'm not sure what to do about the above apart from making some areas 'adults only' to protect both parties and avoid unnecessary discomfort and possible confrontations for families with children.

Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Dickyrichy
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Dickyrichy,

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to inform us and other Tripadvisor travellers of your experience in our Hotel and I am very pleased to know you found our services good for the price.

Thank you for your kind comments on the hard work of our chambermaids in the rooms, on the the food we offer on our buffet and also on our staff. It is gratifying to know that you felt close and friendly the group of persons who have had the privilege of serving you.

On the other hand I´m sorry you were not happy with our elderly guests and that your stay coincided with few children on our premises. Your idea of making some areas adults only will certainly be looked into.

Thanking you once again for your feedback, I hope to hear you will be visiting us on a future occasion, yours sincerely,

Domingo Castro Bello,
Manager.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Puerto de la Cruz

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I was planning on giving this hotel 3 stars - but the friendliness of the staff made me give it a 4. Be warned - this is a retirement home for old Germans. I assume that 90 % of all people staying at the hotel is German retirees.

Rooms: A little worn. If you get a room facing the pool - be aware - there is a quite heavy trafficked road just a few metes from you balcony (at least for some of the floors). The aircon is off during the winter - and the rooms get quite warm - but with the traffic - there is always the decision on whether you want to suffer from the heat or the noise. The pool side is also the sunny side.

Bathrooms: A little small - but have all you need. Be aware that the temperature in the shower varies depending on what your neighbor is doing - so be prepared to move fast.

Pool area: Small but tidy. The pool man runs around all the time - keeping it nice and clean. As always there are some that is up at crack of dawn reserving sunbeds.

Food: I went with the All inclusive option. I dont think I will recommend that. Buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There are also light snacks in the pool bar. I get kind of bored with the same food every day. Limited variation. Breakfast ok - but what is it with the canned mushrooms? The food - was luke warm at best (except for the fresh cooked). And there is the thing about coffee. Coffee in restaurant only available for breakfast. Not possible to have coffee with lunch or dinner. One good thing about the AI - is that you can get good alcohol at half price.

Internet: Free wifi in reception area (also stretches to parts of the pool area, bar and restaurant. Limited bandwidth. Also possible to pay extra for internet in room. Tried that but it did not work.

Staff: This is where the stars are eared at this hotel. Everyone is friendly and helpful. Kudos.

Room Tip: Suggest sea view. Not the noise from traffic.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank tki_Oslo_Norway
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear tki_Oslo_Norway

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing the Hotel Puerto de la Cruz for your holidays and especially for sharing your experience with other Tripadvisor travelers.
Thank you also for your kind words on our staff, I am pleased to know that you felt close and friendly the group of persons who had the privilege to serve you.

I would just like to mention that you are correct in what you say about our German guests, they visit us during the Winter seasons. I´m sorry you were not happy with this situation.
I am also sorry that you would not recommend our All Inclusive option and have taken good note of your comments in order to improve all those negative points susceptible to rapid action.

Thank you for your good appreciation of our pool area, I am pleased that the work of our pool man was up to standard.

Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences your stay here may have caused you and thanking you once again for taking your time to send us your appreciations on our hotel, I remain yours sincerely,

Doming Castro Bello, Manager.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed for a weekend ..Staff were very friendly ..we got upgraded to a better room ..Ok the view wasn't very nice from our balcony but that didn't bother us as you only use the room to sleep in!..... breakfast was also very nice ..
The weather was terrible though and it was very cold in the room ...The only complaint I had was you couldn't make the room warm, as the air condition was working..
I would stay again but maybe next time wait for a nice day ...

Room Tip: The rooms with a view to Teide are the best.... so try to book 1
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank robertah2014
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Roberta H

Thank you very much for taking your time to post your comments on Tripadvisor and it is a pleasure for me to know that you and your boyfriend had a pleasant stay amongst us.
I´m sorry you found your room to be rather cold even though our air conditionig was not working, we only connect it during the Summer months.
I´m very pleased to know you would stay in our Hotel again, it was unfortunate that the weekend you came the weather was not very good.

Yours sincerely,
Domingo Castro Bello,
Manager.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Very Nice Christmas Experience. Spent one week Dec 21 - 28. Food was very good with a different variety every day. Close to shopping and cafes. Rooms were very clean with a nice view. I highly recommend this hotel and would stay here again if I am ever back to Tenerife.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Henry K
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Henry K

First of all I would like to thank you for having chose our Hotel for your holidays and also for taking your time to post your impressions on Tripadvisor for other travellers knowledge.

I am very pleased that you found our situation, buffet and rooms to your satisfaction and very obliged about the fact that you highly recommend our hotel, this really makes all our hard work worth while.

Hoping to have the pleasure of greeting you personally should you finally decide to come to our beautifull island once again, yours sincerely,

Domingo Castro, Manager.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel November 8th-11th 2013. The welcome we received was terrible, Basil Fawlty could have done a better job. Ignorant and bolshy about covers it. The room (103) was satisfactory apart from the outlook. The balcony was at ground level with a view of a very dirty wall and a totally unkempt garden, this was further enhanced by a view of two drainage pipes, coloured green to apparently blend into the background, they did not. We were not" all inclusive" therefore they tried to charge for everything. The bar was charging seafront bar prices and trying to fob you of with inferior spirits. Happy hour was useless, paid for two Bacardi and cokes, when we returned to the bar for our "free" drink we were told that they had run out of Bacardi and none was available in the Hotel, no Bacardi in a Spanish hotel? unheard of!! The location of the Hotel was 165 steps from the town and 95 steps further up the bigger pool, Oxygen please. The breakfast was totally chaotic, no care about presentation, ran out of bacon on Monday, very dirty work surfaces. All in all a very poor impression of what may have been a good Hotel in the 70's but is sadly lacking in the modern world.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel or go for a high floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Stephen T
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Spent one week here at the beginning of November. We went for the b&b option sorry didn't opt for all inclusive looked really good value, but we booked very last minute and took what we could get. Very clean well run place. Would recommend to anyone

• Stayed: November 2013
5  Thank Anneire
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The good;

The hotel was clean and modern with pleasant staff and a large bar area for the evenings. Maid service was good and rooms kept tidy with clean towels every day. Price was very reasonable (but see further comments. Breakfast was good with a live cooking station making omelets and pancakes. Rooms were nice and quiet so you could get a good night’s sleep and a lay in. Free Wi-Fi in the reception area. The top pool area is very quiet and only has a handful of people around it.

The Bad;

The room that we booked was very small for two people, and I had my daughter with me which made three, the option was to upgrade to a mini suite, which we did and it was £240.00 extra for the week.

The heated pool was NOT heated and it was a chore to get in the water. The bottom pool has quite a few trees around it which shade quite a lot of the area. The location is on a very steep hill and if you have problems walking then it will not be for you. Evening entertainment was all in Spanish and Peter the DJ was awful, he just sat on a stool playing music.

The rest;

The hotel is very reasonably priced but watch out for a long bus transfer or a charge of £60.00 each way for a taxi. Plus if there are two adults and a child you may want to pay for the upgrade.
The town which is around a ten minutes walk away has lanes like Brighton which are great to explore but….. there are very few actual bars and it’s all restaurants or cafes plus it is not geared up for British people and not everyone speaks English.
Instead of going down the hill into town try going up the hill and take the first left and follow the road round, there are a couple of nice bars in this area plus a nice selection of restaurants.
Do go to Loro park, it’s amazing.

Would I go again? No, Los Cristianos offers lots more.

Room Tip: Go for a suit which has a separate lounge/bedroom
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank timintunisia
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear timintunisia,

Thank you very much for taking your time to inform other Tripadvisor travellers of your experience in our Hotel and I really appreciate your positive opinion on our installations, maid service, breakfast buffet and pleasant staff. We try hard every day so that our customers percieve our friendly and personal service.

On the other hand, I am sorry our location and our resident DJ were not as positive as we would have liked.

Concerning the trees which shade the main pool area, the majority are native trees and plants which have their own charm and have been there for many years.

I regret that you did not find the town of Puerto de la Cruz to your satisfaction and that you would not return to the north of the island again.

Hoping you may change your mind and that we may have the pleasure of greeting you once again in our Hotel in the future, yours sincerely, Domingo Castro Bello, Manager.