“A Very Relaxing Summer Holiday !” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Puerto de la Cruz

Hotel Puerto de la Cruz
Ranked #19 of 80 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Birmingham
“A Very Relaxing Summer Holiday !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

We have just returned from enjoyable stay at the De la Cruz hotel.
Hotel is well presented and very clean. Booking in takes little time and on our arrival at 9:45pm the restaurant was able to accommodate us (party of 5).

The room was clean and the beds comfortable, with a good size bathroom which marbled throughout. The room we occupied also had built in wardrobes and a safe( I guess you have to rent at an extra cost ?) with a balcony with a view to the pool area below.

The pool a good size and not over crowded so can be enjoyed by all ages
The lower pool area is kept very clean and the life guard as well as doing his job, is always busy tidying up and speaking with the guests, but don’t think he misses anything going on in the pool!!
The guy is eagle eyed, so you can rest assured the kids are always safe (if you have little ones)

The pool bar is good with a selection of snacks and drinks, although if you go all inclusive, ice creams have to be purchased.

As with any hotel sun loungers can be problematic, but we didn’t have any problems getting one near the pool every day!
The variety of food in the restaurant is great, with a good choice of dishes from salads to pasta, fish and meats.
The fresh fish is fantastic and the chicken, lamb chops, pork loin and turkey are all excellent.
The staff in there really do work hard and they are constantly on the go but are always there to help if you ask for anything.
During our stay there seemed to be a lot of Spainish guests , and it was noticable that they seems to receive a little more attention than any others ?

The bar area in the hotel, has entertainment on every evening.
Seats are easily available but the room is divided into 2 sections with plants so it is difficult to see the acts if you in the wrong side of the room.

The bar has a 2 drink rule, ridiculous as I was with my wife any son !! but service at the bar is reasonably quick, there was only on instance in the 2 weeks where the queue was excessive and it took 16 minutes to be served!

A suggestion to the hotel may be a self-service beer point at or near the bar ??!!

I'm English , I enjoy queuing as much as the next man , but please , not when I'm on holiday !!

On the whole the hotel is very very good, clean, relaxed, with efficient staff doing a god job.

The brochure pictures do not do the place justice !!

The whole stay was a enjoyable and we all felt totally relaxed at the end of our stay
Would we return …. Certainly

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank richiewilkes60
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear richiewilkes60

First of all thank Iyou very much for choosing our Hotel for your well deserved holidays and it is a pleasure for me to know that you had an enjoyable stay amongst us.

I would also like to thank your for your excellent description of our installacions and services and your positive appreciations on the efficiency of our staff and the variety of our buffet encourages us to continue offering our customers the best service.
It is a pleasure for me to pass your congratulations on to our lower pool lifeguard, they will be very much appreciated.

You are correct in stating that we have a lot of Spanish guests staying here, this is traditional during the months of July and August, when most of this nationality have their holidays.

Please excuse the inconveniences that you mention at our Bar with our drinks rule, I´m afraid this was implemented due to misuse of our All Inclusive service by other clients.

It is an honour for me to know that our installations and services fell short of your expectation and specially that you would return in the future.

Thank you very much for taking your time to upload your comments on Tripadvisor informing other travellers of your good experience amongst us and should you finally decide to return, please contact us via e-mail informing us of your reservation details in order for us to do our best to comply with any wish you might have.

Looking forward to greeting you in the future, kind regards,

Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

This is supposedly a four star hotel. I travel quite a lot & have stayed in many 4 star hotels around the world, and I would rate this hotel as a definite 3 star. I am still at the hotel & we are here for another week. I want to say something positive & I will try to be fair & objective, but finding positives is proving tough.
I will start at the beginning...the welcome, or lack of one really. After travelling for over 12 hours & feeling shattered & hot...my Mum, who has a walking stick & is disabled, my 3 daughters & myself had to lug our own luggage to our rooms. There was no offer of help & I've seen bell boys taking other people's luggage since I arrived. The receptionist was pleasant enough, but that was as far as the welcome went.

Sub standard selection of food...chips every meal time, no ham or cheese at lunchtime, no bacon at breakfast today. There is however a chef making omelettes & fried eggs to order each morning & another chef at lunch & dinner times cooking fresh fish & meat. This is a saving grace, to an otherwise boring mealtime. There are waiters serving wine at mealtimes, but my family has not been asked asked once if we would like any wine or sangria & I've had to ask myself. They seem to be doing a lot of running around for the Spanish visitors from what I've seen. The dining room has a Butlins feel to it. Without sounding snobby here, I've been to Butlins & had fun, but I didn't book a hotel in Tenerife for that same experience!

We are staying on an all inclusive basis...there are the usual local spirits & one type of beer. You can choose one type of cocktail as part of the package...anything else has an extra charge. 1 cocktail? I've never seen such a poor choice. In the evening you are only allowed 2 drinks at a time from the bar & I've had to queue for at least 5/10 minutes each time. I'm with a family of 5...I don't expect for us to have to visit the bar in shifts....absolutely ridiculous!!! There's one bar open for a hotel of this size, with 2 bar staff. I'm on holiday...spending half the evening at the bar isn't my idea of relaxing. Although, I'm not missing the entertainment, which is poor at best. Last night there was a magician performing. He spoke no English & wasn't even visible from where we were sitting as the stage is hidden by huge plants that divide the half the area in front of the stage, making it impossible to see anything going on anyway.

There are no ice creams or ice lollies for the children....unless you pay extra.
No activities around the pool. There is supposed to be a children's rep? I've not seen her once.

Wifi signal is awful....not been able to connect in lobby at all. When I told the receptionist, she said well other people are on their phones! Well my daughters' phones have had little or no signal & mine has had none at all. Of course, you can pay extra to have wifi in your room, but the signal is abysmal.

Room has really shabby carpet & needs decorating as it's quite run down. On a plus, the bathroom is clean & big & the maid has cleaned the room nicely each day & left clean towels.

There are deposits & rental charges for just about everything....€10 deposit for pool towels that are tiny & cover about half the sun lounger. €2.20 per day to rent the safe in our room...another rental fee if you want a fridge in the room. It's an absolute joke for a 4 star hotel. They shouldn't be charging for the use of a fridge or a safe!!

And don't get me started on the sun lounger wars....I don't want to have to rush to get a lounger on holiday...get up early, rush my breakfast & grab sun loungers so I can have a spot by the pool. There are not enough beds for the amount of guests & this is causing problems. There is another pool, which is quieter, but it's up a lot of rocky steps, with no other way of accessing it, therefore unattainable for my Mum, who has a walking stick.

I would never return to this hotel & my advice would be to steer clear of it if you're thinking of booking. There are really no saving graces, apart from the man who works behind the pool bar, who is freindly, the man who cleans the pool area is helpful & the maids say hello when they're in the corridors.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
6 Thank Sandra F
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Sandra F:

First of all I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to upload your personal impression of your stay amongst us during this present month of August to Tripadvisor. All the staff of the hotel and myself personally thank you for choosing the Hotel Puerto de la Cruz to spend your holidays with your family. I´m sorry that you have departed with bad memories concerning the issues you mention, which I respect and for which I duly apologise.

Concerning your luggage, I´m sorry you were not atended as you should have been, I can only assume that our bellboy on duty at the time of your arrival was taking care of other clients luggage and was not available when you arrived. Please excuse the inconveniences this may have caused you.

I am quite surprised on your comments on our buffet because this aspect of our services is well valued by most of our guests. We try hard to cater for all nationalities and our Chef and his team work hard to provide a wide range of fresh and cooked foods to please everyone. I´m sorry that in your case we did not manage to achieve this.

Concerning our All Inclusive drinks and our 2 drinks at a time policy, I´m also sorry this had to be implemented because of misuse by our clients.

With respects to our rooms, I´m pleased to inform you that we are slowly changing the carpets for parquet floor. I´m glad you appreciated the bathroom, they have all been recently refurbished.

About your point on the rental fee of the safe and the minibar, I would like to clarify that practically all the hotels in Puerto de la Cruz have them on hire. This is published on our website and also on the webs of the Tour Operators we work with so that all clients who visit us are well informed.

Thank you for your kind words on our maids, our pool waiter and the pool attendant.

I´m sincerely sorry you would not return and that you advise other future guests to stay clear of our hotel. As I mentioned beforehand, I respect your opinión but I cannot be in agreement with your advice.

Yours truly,
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

this is a lovely hotel in a lively residential area, the lounge is big and clean plenty of seating areas, free wi-fi in the lounge/hall, you can pay for wi-fi in your room, ours didn't work though.

pool area is lovely although small, i think there is not enough room for sunbeds as people have to put there towels on the floor, not the hotels fault but its a cramped space, you better be an early Usain Bolt for a sunbed otherwise take the floor or relax on a chair, this is for both pools. the beds are taken as early as.That didn't spoil our holiday, food is really good and plenty of it, you get the usually holiday food and if your fed up just eat out, lots of restaurant around and are pretty close.Drinks are good as well, original coco cola, fanta, sprite, etc. all good.

rooms are small as it was 3 persons in a room, not that private but you can request the larger room at a cost if available, but it was clean everyday and towels were changed daily.

as said in previous reviews not suitable for people with walking difficulty, and i mean the hotel is situated on a hill which i sometimes think it will be easier walking on all fours going up and sliding on your backside going down, its fine when you reach the hotel though.

not many British was there manly spanish and the entertainment was all in spanish, but i guest that is how they do it there.

we had a good time though and would recommend.
ill probably try the south side of tenerife next time i visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Sally R
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Sally R

Thank you very much for choosing the Hotel Puerto de la Cruz for your well deserved holidays and also for uploading your opinion to Tripadvisor so that other travellers may benefit from your opinion.

Please excuse the inconveniences you found around the pool area concerning the sunbeds, our pool staff do all the possible so that clients don´t reserve them. Never the less, I´m pleased that this did not spoil your holiday and you enjoyed our pools and their surroundings.

Thank you very much for your kind comments on our buffet, we try hard to cater for the tastes of all nationalities.

Concerning our situation on a hill, I´m sorry you were not aware that we offer the services of a free shuttle bus to/from the Martiánez Mall, Monday through Friday, which helps you to avoid the walk back up to the Hotel.

Thank you once again for making us partakers of your satisfaction and it is an honor to know that you had a good time and that you would recommend us. This really makes all our hard work really worth while.

Yours sincerely,
Manager
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We have just arrived home from out holiday at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz and I must say that it was really nice. The room was very clean and we had a view of the sea which was nice, I would recommend if possible to request sea view rooms as the room overlooking the pool also overlook the road which can be noisy. The food was good and the waiters really helpful and friendly , the breakfast included pancakes and omelettes cooked fresh and the usually fried eggs, and there was the usual cheeses and cold meats to choose from too. there was I item of meat and one item of fish being cooked fresh ever lunch and dinner plus lot of other meat options to choose from and although it was all very nice it was a little repetitive. You could also have beer , wine and soft drinks with your meal. The hotel was at the top of a hill so there was 155 steps to get down to the town and beach which was really hard and was the only main problem that I had apart from the fact that on the day you leave you have to check out at 12 and they remove your all inclusive band so you cannot have free drinks, but they do give you a voucher for your lunch. The local bus is really easy to use, you buy a Bono card from the newsagent for 15 euros and them just insert the card into the machine when you get on the bus and the fare is taken off and the balance is printed on the back of the ticket but be warned the bus drivers can be a little grumpy ! There are plenty of trips to do ,and Loro Park is a lovely day out, but we found a really lovely Orchid Garden which was only about 5 mins from the hotel and although it was not as big as the Botanical Gardens it was much nicer with lots of interesting fact to read around the garden, the garden has a lot of English history which we found very interesting and there a tea rooms there too . it was not advertised in our hotel which is a shame as it is worth a visit if you like gardens and it was only about 4 euros to get in. Tenerife is a lovely place to visit but because Puerto de la Cruz is on the top of a hill be warned there is a lot of walking to do, although the hotel does provide a bus every hour week day only. All in all it was a lovely holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view are much quieter
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Diane B
Dear Diane B

On behalf of the entire team of this hotel I would like to convery to you my sincere gratitude for making us partakers of your satisfaction through Tripadvisor. Thank you very much for taking part of your valuable time to upload your positive opinion on our Hotel and I am very pleased that you found our installations, buffet and staff to your entire satisfaction.

It is very gratifying to know that you had a lovely holiday amongst us and that our services fell short of your expectations.

I am also very pleased that you enjoyed your visits to the Botanical Gardens, the Loro Parque and the Orchid Gardens here in Puerto de la Cruz. It is very important to us that our customers enjoy our facilities but is also important that they visit the wonders that surround us, it is great that you made trips out of town on the local bus, this is one of the best ways to visit our Island.

Thank you very much for choosing the Hotel Puerto de la Cruz for your holidays and also for your excellent feedback.

Hoping to have the pleasure of greeting you personally should you decide to visit us once again in the future, yours sincerley,

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

recently returned from an 11 night stay here and had a lovely time, the food and drink were great and always readily available, desserts were very basic but thats a personal choice, the main issue for me was the smoking around the pool, I personally think this should be in a designated area as it did get very busy and not enough small tables to go with the sunbeds! Overall a relaxing break and good room with clean towels every day but you will need a towel for the pool or you can hire them at the hotel or buy over the road cheaply. Had a great view and couldnt fault the all inclusive option. Would definately go here again as in a good area to explore, the 155 steps back from town were a challenge but you can take your time and always have the option of the free bus,must finally say Felippe the barman was excellent :]

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
7 Thank Jane B
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Jane H
It is a pleasure for me to know that that you had a good and relaxing holiday amongst us and that you found your room, our services and buffet to your satisfaction. Thank you very much for your special remarks on our barman Felipe, I will inform him personally of your excellent opinión on his services.

Comments such as yours make us continue growing and providing the maximum satisfaction to every one of our customers.

Thank you also for taking your time to to inform other Tripadvisor travellers of your positive experience in our Hotel, this is very important to us.

It is very gratifying to know that you enjoyed your stay and also that you would visit us on a further occasion. Should this be the case, please contact us with your reservation details informing us of your second visit, it will be a pleasure for us to offer you our regular guest detail.

Hoping to have the pleasure of meeting you in the near future, yours sincerely,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have just returned from a 7night stay in this lovely hotel. 2 pools to choose from, the bottom being the more lively with pool bar and snack bar. Water fountain in pool and noce little bridge to cross and the second pool we found to be the quieter pool of the two. Plenty of sunbeds and great to actually swim in. Hotel was fantastically clean everywhere. The food in the restaurant I could not fault there was plenty of choice every meal time and all tasted great. Wine is by the bottle with meals and not watered down A/I from a tap. Staff were friendly and helpful when we needed them. All round a great holiday and will definitely return. Thank you hotel puerto de la cruz.
Dean and katie...

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Dean J
Dear Dean and Katie,

First of all, thank you very much for choosing the Hotel Puerto de la Cruz for your holidays and it is a real pleasure for me to know that you had such a good stay amongst us and that our facilities, services, buffet and staff have fallen short your expectations. Precisely your comments on our staff are very important to us and I am pleased that you felt friendly and helpful the group of persons who had the priviledge fo serving you.

Thank you very much also for taking your time to make us partakers of your satisfaction through Tripadvisor, it is very kind of you to share your positive experiencie with other holidaymakers.

It is an honor to know that you will definitely return, once you have made your reservation, please contact us by e-mail informing us of your second visit in order to send to your room our regular customer detail.

Hoping to have the pleasure of geeting you on your next visit, yours sincerely,

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a week here , right transfer on bus around 2 hrs from hotel people with walking diffcultys not suitable , food ok not warm enough !! And no choice for children which I struggled to get my son to eat food and ended up eating out offen as he's only 3 , rooms basic defo 3 star rating , staff are friendly some safety issues with children's park but kids club Carolina and leonardo was amazing for entertaining my son they we're so attentive and caring overall we did enjoy our hol but please taking enough money incase food not for u and the weather was cloudy but still tan threw it. Pool bad at too shut needs to open long walk down steps for drink very clean hotel and evening entertainment good too.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Vickieslide
Dear Vickieslide,

Thank you very much for choosing the Hotel Puerto de la Cruz for your holidays and also for taking your time to upload your impressions of your stay amongst us on Tripadvisor. It was very kind of you to do this as it is important for us to know our clients opinion on our facilities and servicies.

Concerning your comment on the food for your son, I am very sorry you did not ask to speak to our Head Waiter or Chef, it would have been a pleasure for them to provide you with any type of food you may have needed for him.

Thank you for your kind remarks on our animators Carolina and Leonardo, I will inform them personally that you were very pleased with their services and it´s a pleasure to know your son had a good time with them.

Thank you very much once again for your feedback and I hope to hear that you will be visiting us on a future occasion, until the, yours sincerely,

Doming Castro Bello,