We spent a whole day here, as the guests of friends who have stayed here before and love it. We could easily understand why they and their circle keep coming back. Oddly enough, some of the key ingredients that lure them here we would find on a monastic retreat in rural England.
Very sensibly, our host had forewarned the hotel of our imminent arrival, so there was a helpful staff member on hand to park our car. We hastened to the poolside bar-cafe which was a suitable place to make our base for the day. Our friends prefer the food here to that served upstairs in La Parilla. And it gave us ample opportunity to stroll through the gardens.
The lake was first port of call, with the black swans and their grey young family (which were fluffy cygnets when they were here last). On the lake we also spotted a bustling little moor hen and sunbathing terrapins. The human sunbathers were discreetly scattered on loungers throughout the grounds (mind you, Puerto is the wrong side of Tenerife if you are a real sun-worshiper).
In keeping with the Oriental theme, the Buddha is depicted in statues and paintings all over the hotel. Personally, I would prefer to have St Francis of Assisi (but we had already paid our respects to him at the Franciscan church in the town centre). The loveliest statue of Buddha is almost hidden by nearby trees in the garden.
The Oriental theme is of course strongest in the Spa Garden. Here one enters through heavy 'temple' doors and there are delightful elephant statues and fountains. It is a place of great silence and harmony.
Our eating experience was very pleasant. When we first found a shady table we were entertained by a demonstration of paella making, which was followed by a tasting of the product. Too full of seafood for some of our party, but very tasty. For lunch we had a couple of chickens roasted. They were beautifully succulent. In the afternoon there were little homemade biscuits to accompany coffee.
In the dining area beside where we were sitting there is an aviary, so that over breakfast the guests can watch the tropical birds. They must feel very much at home as there are nests in the shrubbery. Other less exotic birds hang around the cafe tables outside - a very tame blackbird was singing most beautifully while he waited for us to leave crumbs.
We also availed ourselves of the conference facilities, as the football fans wanted to go online for a big match. This was in a computer room, sealed off by glass doors from the 'blissed-out' spa goers who wandered by in white toweling dressing gowns. The same floor had a sort of library, with books well sorted by language.
The shops and eating/drinking outlets in the area round about (i.e. off the TF312) seemed to be aiming primarily at the German market, though there were several local cafes and one English bar. However, if we were staying here longer we would undoubtedly prefer to go down the hill to the town centre.
Across the road is the Jardin Botanico, which we have not yet visited.
To summarise: the Hotel Botanico has all the facilities you would expect of a five-star-plus internationally renowned hotel - and peace and tranquility in green gardens. Whereas the Spa and other pampering facilities may be available in similar hotels in the UK, to get the total ambiance created by the gardens (with the birds, the fish, the lizards etc) and the inspired decor you would have to travel much further afield than Tenerife. And the environment is much safer in Puerto than it would be in some competing worldwide resorts.
A TIP: Go to the Hotel website to check their discount prices (and compare them with the offers of online booking sites). It could save you a significant percentage.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our hotel and spa, located in Puerto de la Cruz in Tenerife, is one of the most prestigious 5 star luxury hotels in the Canary Islands. Being the only official 5 star hotel “Gran Lujo”, we offer an elegant and tranquil atmosphere. In 1998 Hotel Botanico was the first hotel in the Canaries that became a member of the luxury hotel group "The Leading Hotels of The World". Classical in style, there is a timeless grace throughout our hotel, which we carefully maintain through ongoing investment programmes. We offer a variety of luxury accommodation combined with high-class restaurants and leisure facilities, including the award-winning Oriental Spa Garden for total relaxation. Enjoy from your room or suite the extraordinary views of the Atlantic or the Orotava Valley and Mount Teide. Experience the warm culture in this authentic part of Tenerife, combined with one of the most privileged climates in the world. Immerse yourself in the incredible nature, play a round of golf or just relax on the spectacular volcanic beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, Hotels.com, LateRooms, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Botanico And The Oriental Spa Garden
- Botanico Hotel
- Hotel Botanico Tenerife
- Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden Tenerife/Puerto De La Cruz