“been to this hotel about 5 times over last 20 years scotland”
Review of Hotel Trianflor

Hotel Trianflor
Ranked #72 of 80 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Ayr, United Kingdom
“been to this hotel about 5 times over last 20 years scotland”
Reviewed 24 March 2012

having been to this hotel before it is located in good area but sits up small hills ,as for the food it has got VERY VERY poor ,we just have just returned after 1 week and only had one hot meal in that time this is the worst food we have had in any hotel we have stayed in and we usually go 2 holidays a year and we are usually easily pleased and not fussy with the food, but on this occasion fussy would have been an understatement.

Room Tip: not on opposite the lifts
4 Thank baldy3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We booked a late deal, and stayed at the Dania Park, we read the reviews on the hotel and like everything you have doubts. The hotel is very nice and clean, the rooms spacious, extra pillows would have been a great help. The balcony was a good size. The food however left a lot to be desired but we managed on what was for offer, not a great deal of variety and always cold, we ate in the Magec sometimes the menu would be slightly different but again cold. The staff were friendly although they did not speak much english, but again we managed to understand each other. The rooftop pool area was a nice size, shame the pools were not heated a bit. We found the pool bar and opened and closed to suit rather than time. Nice location for walking to beach, harbour, shops and walking distance to Loro Parque, although there is a train you can get but takes nearly as much time to the stop as it is to walk to the Parque. We were suprised to see a McDonalds there...

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have good sun in the afternoon, a lovely view of Mount Teide, roads can be a bit...
4 Thank Debbie S
UK
Reviewed 18 March 2012

One of the biggest problems in the tourist industry at the moment, is that many travellers dont understand the hotel "star rating" system. I would actually be happy if they did away with it completely, as I think it has become very misleading. I can say this having travelled all over the world, staying in both luxury and basic accommodation. In my experience, the star rating often translates (and quite understandably too) in to lots of people having unfulfilled expectations.

What I would say to anyone is forget about the star rating, instead look at what you are going to spend.

This hotel cost two people £280 for a week, half board. You could pay that for a single night in London, Paris, or any major city. Ok perhaps a little unfair to compare Puerto de la Cruz to one of the aforementioned places, but it is a hot spot for Tenerife. What I am trying to say here is that for the price, we got a good deal.

The room was very standard; double bed, tv (BBC news was the only english channel btw), balcony, fridge, safe (you paid for the safe, 15 euro per week with a ten euro deposit), air con. It was clean, with a nice bathroom (bath/shower) - plenty of room. Would have been nice to have some extra pillows, but I am sure if we had asked, they would have gotten us some. No tea making facilities, but then some hotels do, some dont. All in all, it was perfectly adequate for our needs.

The room at night was a little noisy up until about midnight, but then then the hotel is in the middle of a town. If you want peace and tranquility you dont book this hotel, or any other in the town - you book one away from the hustle and bustle.

The staff were pretty friendly - the maids always had a smile, and the two receptionists we talked to were always helpful, but then we didnt really have any problems (I dont think you really know a hotel until you have had a problem).

The biggest plus for us was the location of this hotel. It was walking distance (20-30 minutes) to Loro Parque, it was literarily right next to the bus terminal, where you get to anywhere on the island (we went to Santa Cruz which was well worth it, and the butterfly house at Icod De Los Vinos, which was definitely NOT worth it). You could also easily walk in to the main hub of the town where all the shops were - simply perfectly placed for us. We also walked to the Botanical Gardens, but this was quite a way - probably would recommend hopping on the bus if I did it again.

We were thinking of going to Mount Teide, however from what we could see, there seemed to only be one bus there in the morning, which left at 9:15. We also found out that the cable car to the top was 25 euros each! which seemed rather excessive for a 10 minute ride - so we didnt bother.

The main negative point about the hotel, which I guess was the same for many people was the food, HOWEVER, I have stayed at other places with far worse food. Buffets are always going to be hard for hotels, as you have to mass produce large volumes of food which cater for a wide variety of tastes. I think it is important to bare in mind that the cliental of this hotel seemed to be predominantly old people (most seemed to be over 50/60), and with this in mind I wasn't surprised to see fairly bland basic food. I am not suggesting for any moment that old people dont eat exotic foods, but if my nan is anything to go by, if she eats anything spicy, she ends up popping Rennies like there is no tomorrow.

Personally I think the hotel are just playing it safe, and this leads to very basic and repetitive food. I am not suggesting that the other reviewers are wrong, but for us the food was always cooked properly & the quality was about what we would expect (especially for the money we paid). If I had paid say double, then yes, I would have certainly wanted more choice.
Most breakfasts you could get the usual sausage, egg, bacon, cereal, cheese, cold meats, toast, and assorted pastries. For dinner there was usually some sort of fish, chicken, potatoes, salad, cold meats, cheese - not a great selection, but we usually found something there we liked. One evening they did something that lots of other hotels do, which really peeves me - they put fish in everything...! I dont eat fish, so we went across the road to the Magec (we were in the Dania), and we ate there.

I would like to say that I do feel that in some way, we (as tourists) are (or I should say were) partly to blame for the lack of choice & imagination, which wasn't only apparent in our hotel - looking at the menus of many of the restaurants in the town, they were very similar - egg n chips, sausage n chips, pizza, etc. I have no doubt that this rather outdated view of what we (as tourists) like/want to eat, has come about from years of Rab C Nesbit-esque visitors - especially in the 70's.

I had a flash back to the old carry on aboard movie, "there iz sausage n chippings, egg n chippings....."

Of course not everywhere is like this, if you dig hard enough you will find some restaurants that serve some more "local" & inventive fair. Once place I can recommend is the Chinese International Restaurant, located on San Telmo Ave, part of the main walkway by the sea. It's close to the big Casino. It has an excellent buffet, and we paid 17 euros, which included two soft drinks & ice cream. The food was very well cooked & tasted delicious. As it was actually above a cafe, you could look out and get a good view of the sea & people watch.

So in summary - if you pay close to what we paid, and you can live with the bland choice of food, then yes, it's worth it. Just remember, dont expect Mexico type hospitality, this is still Europe!

Would I go back, I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

6 Thank species
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2012

we stayed at the dania magec in february and the food in the evenings was very poor there was no choice in the main resturant .rooms were basic but clean towels and sheets changed daily for a hotel classed as a 4 star it was more like a 2 star would not go back to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank unhappy1822

Travellers are raving about these Puerto de la Cruz hotels

Stamford
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I have visited Puerto de la Cruz a number of times and usually stay at the Dania hotel which is the 'other half' of the Magec. In the past I have criticised the food there. On my most recent visit in February 2012 (just before the Carnival week kicked off) visit I was put in the Magec, and there was a noticeable improvement there as regards the food. I found the room clean and tidy and the cleaning lady visited each day. I found the staff there to be polite and helpful. The customers there seemed to be mainly Spanish and German, the usual United Nations in fact. The hotel is centrally located, next to the bus station, and is within easy walking distance of the town centre restaurants and other attractions. The 'in house' entertainment is mainly an organist (who is actually pretty decent) and the Spanish pensioners in particular seem to be hooked on line-dancing. I got into town in the evenings and there was plenty of live music to suit virtually all tastes other than serious classic or hard rock.

Room Tip: I was in a single room on the 7th floor. Good advice would be to keep the bathroom door closed at n...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank StamfordMoustache
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2012

stayed in Feb 2012 for 1 week. Festival was on noise every night till 5:00am drums, shouting, singing. had no sleep all week. was told by another couple on the first night about horrible food. It was cold and swimming in grease. Paid for half board and only had toast at breakfast ate out the rest of the time.
Hotel though was spotless although very outdated. towels changed every day and bedding changed every day.

have been to Tenerife many times and this was the worst holiday we have had. Hotel should not be 4 star. Have previously stayed at 3 star hotel and it was 10 times better.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ang636
swansea
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel between 1 & 8 November 1998.

Wonderful food & great choices at mealtimes - breakfast and dinner all self-service. Our room was delightful - we had a corner suite on the 3rd floor - lovely balcony. The hotel is situated so that it was easy to walk around the town and down to the beach. Being close to the bus station was helpful - it made Puerto more accessible to other villages and towns close by - even Santa Cruz (didn't have time to get there in a week - there was so much to see and do more locally). While we were there we visited Orotava and Icod (for the Dragon Tree), both nearby villages to Puerto de la Cruz, which were great!

For a week's holiday this is a great choice for everyone!

Venicefan, Swansea, UK

Room Tip: Try one of the corner suites (we are a family of 3 adults) - a great view is to be had, and they'...
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family