“Something old, something new, something very very blue”

Miramar Hotel Tenerife Island
Ranked #79 of 82 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Reviewed 15 January 2013

This is a top quality location. Snuggled in the hillside between Tauro Park, the old colonial styled municipal building and the tree lined, pool and waterfall strung, wildlife rich gardens running down to the centre of town, this is an excellent, relaxing place. The hotel gardens and pool are a delight and views over Puerto from the higher rooms are spectacular by day and night. El Teide towers high above and if you're lucky the sun will shine. This side of the island is often cloudy but never despair because the sun will often appear by late morning to reward your optimism and patience.

The Miramar is an old style hotel with 2 sitting rooms/ libraries/ TV rooms and an excellent card table room with scrabble and other games. The rooms are decent though bathrooms need a refit (probably all the other 3 stars in Puerto as well) . The bedrooms and public areas have had a fairly recent decoration job and there are delightful views from the dining room. Puerto de la Cruz is the best place to stay on the island if you want surf, character and variety. The Lido is good for a sunny day, the beaches at Punta Bravo are fine and the old beach by the breakwaters is an exciting place for a morning dip. There's an outdoor olympic pool and the Loro Parque if that's your bag. You can enjoy enjoy and enjoy again the walk down into town and get fit by running up the millions of steps on the way back up.

So what's so very very blue? The aged, almost exclusively male staff are morose and fairly unhelpful though their poor service quality appears to be very even handed. Spanish, English, German, they don't adjust their mumbling glare. Also, you'll need a sense of humour at meal times as the food is often in the desperate category. Poor range, poor quality, poorly cooked, poorly presented. Poor.

Go B & B, ignore the staff and enjoy the rest.

Room Tip: Go up and up and up again.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank whbiteside

Reviewed 5 January 2013

It says it all that my wife and I came back for the 7th time. Yes, it's a pretty old fashioned place and quiet as well as being a good walk away from the centre of Puerto. That's why we like it. We had two weeks over Xmas and New Year and had a great time.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 94,009,007
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Where do i start... Miramar is very dates inside and in need of some serious modernisation. It reminded me of a scene from TV series Heartbeat inside. The Reception staff speak little to no English and communication with them is difficult. I arrived and was greeted by the male receptionist who stunk of tobacco and again spoke little English he demanded my passport from me, and that i wrote my address on a scrap of paper.

I then went to my room which was clean, there was no drinks making facility, no kettle etc. Which i was surprised at. The balcony had a view of tree tops of the hotel entrance not ideal. There was lots of strange noises in my room running water from the room above i'm guessing there was a hatch in the bathroom ceiling which it was coming from. No idea what was behind it, and alarms or noises from outside during the night.

I was bed and breakfast so i only experienced breakfast in the restaurant. It wasn't bad but i had experienced better abroad the sausages were like ones from a tan or jar. cooker with onions, not what i want on my breakfast. rolls were very hard and not fresh!

The pool was good, when i found it Its out the back of the hotel down more steps and through a garden. I think it was heated... I only went in 3 times but was a good place to relax in the evening as the sun was going down. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for family, couples or, single people. It seems to be a place for older OAP's to go. (I think i was the youngest guest at the hotel) at 21

The hotels location in relation to the town and Restaurants is terrible its a good walk down into Puerto de la Cruz. Its a long walk down some 180+ steps and steep banks. Miramar is located on top of a hill. Not a walk you want to be doing late and night after a night out. Thou the night out scene in Puerto isn't great anyway. I will defiantly return to Tenerife same time next year but would defiantly stay in Las Americas in the South.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Ed P
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Clean hotel and its interesting as its like stepping back to the eighties. Not sure if its good value as we signed up all inclusive but we couldn't eat the food. My wife says I can eat anything but it beat me and we had all meals out. Shame as the rest of this hotel is good - budget as not inclusive and you won't go far wrong.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin M
Reviewed 29 November 2012

great hotel, friendly staff, good food. there's a thousand and one steps to walk up an down if your heading into town, but good form of exercise if you've over indulged on the buffet, overhaul generally good nice and quiet hotel out of the way from the noise would reccomend to anybody looking for a quiet break.

Room Tip: ask for room 604, its the one i stayed in, good sea views an quite good for sitting on balcony overl...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank RickScherzo
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Just got back from a weeks holiday in the Miramar. This hotel was good and all the staff were quite pleasant. The Hotel was clean and we had a spacious room. We asked for three things and although we were told there was no guarantee we got all three. These were a double bed. A sea view and balcony, so we were happy. I was told though that in winter a room at the back of the hotel gets the afternoon sun. The hotel however was up a hill with a good 20 min walk back up, but if you go through the garden that leads down into the town its a beautiful walk encompassing a smashing man made waterfall within the garden. A quick taxi ride back up the hill is only 3 euro so the hill should not put anyone off.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the back of the hotel get the sun in winter I was told. But the sea view without t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Susan B
Reviewed 17 November 2012

This is one of the nicest 3 star hotels I have stayed in, very quaint. Booked as a last minute cheap deal and was not expecting much for the cheap price we payed, however I was very impressed, the hotel is spotless, the staff well manered and friendly, the gardens beautiful. The food .... well there was not much of a choice but what was there did the job just fine. If this had been important for us we would have not booked this hotel at the price we paid. I overheard a few people moaning about the food, which I do not think is fair on the hotel, I am aware that you get what you pay for, and the hotel Miramar exceeded my expectations, had a wonderful relaxing time.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple