“Never Again”

Ranked #76 of 80 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Never Again”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Where do I start, here we go, arrived 21/2/14 at 5pm.
Walked into the hotel greeted by a man behind the reception did not even say hello said who we were and he got me to sign in, I had to ask for a safe key, not offered.my wife and I then went too our room 817, room ok , but nothing in it, fridge, kettle, etc.
stayed in room until about 6:30, went downstairs to restaruant, waited in queue for it to open, doors open, gave room no to waiter asked where do we sit he said anywhere, said to wife go find a table I would look at the food, WELL, food undiscribable, no labels, I was looking at this muck when I was asked by another guest what was it said I did not know, it turned out to be Rabbit? went back to my wife, table not laid up she said we had to get everything ourseleves siad that food looked awful, I looked up and saw that people were helping themseleves to beer/coke so went up a poured two cokes in the smallest of glasses I had ever seen took them back to the table, it was then that a waiter shouted out me from across the restaruant, YOU OWE ME MONEY, I stood there everyone watching, I waited for him to come to me, he shouted saying, I owed him money for the drinks, I had to go to reception pay for the drinks and get ticket, give it to him and then he would serve us. This was not explained on arrival, I went to reception, stood there for 10 minutes waiting to pay in the end returned to our table, as I would like to have my meal with my wife, not much to ask for. In the end we both got up and left, I did pay to the drinks eventually, went into town and brought a meal at a lovely resturant.Returned , went to find the tel no for rep, door locked, could not get into the room, waited until Saturday morning, it was then opened we had welcome meeting with rep, a very nice lady.
Saturday 22/02/14, Breakfast, food again awful cold not cooked we bot tried the breakfast left it ate toast that took an age to do and left, went to a cafe down the road for coffee.
Dinner? WHAT WAS IT, NOT SURE,could not identify anything other then salad, tried it, left went into town and brought a meal again.
Sunday 23/2/14, Breakfast, again cold not cooked, had toast then left went ito town, came back, looking for coffee, asked in reception, told to go to pool bar, we went, bar closed, went back to be told bar closed between 1 and 2:30pm, resturant opened said I would get coffee there, she said no as we were Half board, asked for kettle I would make it, told 2 euros a day for kettle, we waited until 2:30pm went to pool bar, this bar about 50+ yards away from pool, it was opened, asked for to coffees, got them, returned to table, wife said what the? coffee was in two very small poly cups, paid 3.50 euros, it was undrinkable,
Diner, again the same on labels could not identify anything, we both left, went into town brought anothe meal.
We both had had enough, we paid for an up grade, to another hotel, after three nights we had to move and did so, when we checked out on Monday morning we were not even asked why we were leaving, the manager was stood there he did not even speak to us.
I wouls like Edger M directer to reply to this and explain just what he thinks he doing, this hotel could be lovley if it was run right. I wait in anticipation to his reply.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel with better friendly staff, and proper cups and glasses to use.take your own h...
5 Thank Jane M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Well we're should I start?
Fawlty towers meets the addams family meets the carry on film set
And that was checking into the asylum which took the super fast staff over an hr to check in 6 couples
Rooms were clean but I certainly wasn't paying ���10 so I could have the remote control for the TV.

Views from hotel room were good
The hotel is a wasted opportunity it's in a great location
If it had a mini bus for people to get to and from the town would be a great advantage.

Glad I had hired a car for the week I was there least I could go into town at night and have a beer and coffee in the many bars served by friendly people.

The food was awful
Have to agree with the review that one night there was rabbit on the menu
Food was tepid bland and the cook had no imagination of how to make the slops more presentable. The food wasn't labelled so you didn't know what was going on your plate.

The only entertainment was watching the miserable staff getting into flaps or the inmates trying to set fire to the toaster when trying to make cheese on toast. Entertainment provided by the hotel was a coffin dodger playing a keyboard

Most of the guests who were there when we were they were good craic always a meet up at the front of the hotel each day to find out who had the worst meal etc

On leaving uncle fester never even said goodbye when I gave the room key in

The sign board at the entrance to the hotel saying elegance hotel and showing pictures of nice food .... don't be fooled you surely won't get that there you will pay ���8 for pig swill

The place is a pure shambles and not helped with defunctional staff pathetic management it really was a mixture of a carry on film meets Fawlty towers meets addams family

The only things good about the place is the day we left

I'd highly recommend you don't waste your hard earned cash staying at this hotel. Stay in a hotel down in the town near all the cafes bars and restaurants that serve edible appetising food which comes as described

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank GJones2068

Travellers are raving about these Puerto de la Cruz hotels

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I have just came back from a stay here with 3 girlfriends and I can honestly say that the hotel is not that bad. Yes the food is not the best but what do you expect from a 3 star hotel? We certainly never went hungry. No snacks are available throughout the day which at first we were disappointed about but it wasn't actually a massive problem.
You can get drinks throughout the day from the pool bar but this does close during meal times. However again not a massive problem as you can get drinks in the dining hall. Yes as people have addressed they are served in plastic glasses but again nothing to lose sleep over.
The hotel and rooms were always clean and I has no issues with the staff.
The location is great and down about 200 steps your into town, I would recommend a taxi back at 3.50 euros.
The pool is big and deep although pretty cold. Its not suitable for small children who cant swim.
The entertainment is not that great either but the drinks are available and I personally do not go to a hotel looking for the entertainment.
All in all I would say the hotel is a good base if your not wanting to spend all your time in the hotel,

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Leanne E
Edgar M, Director Comercial at Miramar Hotel Tenerife Island, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thanks for your opinion about our hotel. Its true that there are some things we have to improve, but this hotel is a new one in our chain of hotels Elegance Hotels, and little by little we are improving all of those bad things. Im sure that in some months we can be better and this wonderful hotel will be one of the best hotel break.

Thanks a lot for choice us, and I hope you will come back.

Best regards!
Petersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Since changing hands during 2013, the Miramar seems to have moved firmly down-market. It is clearly now aimed at guests who are looking for a low cost All-Inclusive package. There is an air of cheapness about the whole operation. The food is plentiful but unimaginative, very repetitive and poorly presented.

The hotel rooms are adequate with no attempt made to add comforts such as coffee-making facilities.The Pool area and its surrounding grass and gardens are very pleasant and a pleasure to sit out in.

The location of the hotel at the top of a steep hill is clearly unsuitable for guests with limited walking ability. The trip into the town requires a walk of about a mile down a winding road or negotiating a path of 240 steps down and 240 back up. The cost of a taxi to town is a little over 3 Euros each way. There are few bars/restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel.

Overall, a sad old hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Levenmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We were looking forward to an extra break away and at first glance everything looked fine,the room was big & airy with great views over the water & town below but when we went to dinner on the first night the food was cold & not very inviting & it didn't get any better,in fact it got worse,it was repetitive the whole week & I personally ended up eating chips & bread most of the week,the pool area was nice & quiet just the way I like it but the pool bar closed at lunchtime which we thought was quite odd,although we were all inclusive that was just for the bar, no food so the 2 times we missed breakfast we had to wait till lunchtime for something to eat,as for the entertainment, well there was none, organ player on Saturday & Tuesday only & as we were in the middle of nowhere we had to play cards in the bar.Our flight home was 12 noon & we were picked up at 6.35 in the morning & went all over Tenerife picking people up to save them sending another bus out later, the town was pretty but we had to go down 230 steps & taxi back. I wouldn't recommend this holiday although we will visit Tenerife again.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

This was our first visit to Tenerife and we were really looking forward to our holiday. Worst luck our holiday was ruined by staying at this hotel. The food was very basic and the same for every meal. Everything was tepid just like the bath and basin water. Drinks were served in a plastic cup from the bar, if you could find one open to get any. There was no entertainment most of the week.One night there was a pianist who played a couple of tunes then put on a cd. Staff are unhappy and not enough of them. The absence of the mini bus meant walking down a lot of steps to the seafront or pay for a taxi. The rooms were cold. The girls on reception were ok but the man was grumpy. The cleaning staff were nice and friendly and kept the room tidy. Never going back!!

1 Thank jack530
Hull, England
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We last stayed at the Miramar in Sept last year, they changed owners (or rather it has been leased to Elegance Hotel Group for 5 years) in the July. What a difference!! We have been going to the Miramar for nearly 25 years, sometimes we even went 3 times a year, it was always where our kids chose because they loved it so much. NOT ANYMORE.

The change has been terrible, we feel so sorry for Magdalena (previous owner) and the staff, who by the way are all lovely, each with their quirky personalities, most of which have been at the hotels since they were boys.

We hate all inclusive as it destroys resorts by people not going out and using local shops and bars.

The standard of the food has changed, we didn't get carrots for breakfast like you get now, weird! The rooms are still kept very clean, but the towels now leave a lot to be desired. The grounds and the pool area are still lovely, but we didn't like the fact that the pool bar was shut for a couple of hours over lunch so that the barman had to go and help serve the lunches for the all inclusive guests, also no pool snack available anymore for the few who remain on half board. Also can understand plastic cups at pool, but they are so small and cheap that when you pick up your drink it sloshes over the top. BUT WHY do you also have to have your drinks on an evening out of the same things in the lounge which you also now have to queue up for?? It used to be so nice to be served at your table or you could walk up to the bar and be served drinks in glasses. If you're half board and paying full pops for your drinks you do get glass and you also get better branded drinks.

This chain has also taken over the Dania and the Palmeras Playa in the resort and the rates for all 3 have plummetted.

We really loved going to the Miramar, it was like a second home, we are on first name terms with the staff and we used to meet the same people who have become friends over the years and some of them are in the same mind as us and unfortunately we will not return until things are much better. It is such a shame as this was a lovely hotel, old fashioned maybe, but we went for the peace and quiet and simplicity.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Janet75
Edgar M, Director Comercial at Miramar Hotel Tenerife Island, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear guest,

We're really sorry about your last experience. As you have to know, Miramar is now part of a new chain of hotels named Elegance. There are a lot of changes and step by step we want to be much better than the previous hotel.

I invite you come back in the future and hope your experience will be better than this.

Many thanks about your comments and best regards!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto de la Cruz
Hotel Perla Tenerife
#22 of 80 in Puerto de la Cruz
Panoramica Garden
Panoramica Garden
#61 of 80 in Puerto de la Cruz

Been to Miramar Hotel Tenerife Island? Share your experiences!