“Only complaint: clouds”

Ranked #76 of 80 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
“Only complaint: clouds”
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

We spent 1 week with my hubby in this hotel and I can't believe the reviews I read from the guests. The only complaint we had was that the sun didn't shine most of the week but this was not due to the hotel. The staff were friendly and eager to solve any issue that might occurred most of them with a smile despite some bad tempered or rude guests. The room and all areas were spotless and the so much criticised food was really pleasant.
I just want to say a big GRACIAS to all the staff from Elena, the director for her efficiency and professionalism to the waiters, cleaners etc for their hard work and for making our holidays pleasant.

Marta

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marta S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

When i first read the reviews on here i arrived with no expectations at all.
I will start with the food, although basic it is what you would expect for three star and to be honest it was only the first few days when i struggled, after that there was an improvement and always something i could eat. I do not know what other people payed for their stay but my stay worked out £7.50 a day at the hotel, you can not even get B and B anywhere for that so for all inclusive i thought was amazing value for money.
The room was basic but kept clean by the friendly hard working cleaning staff, my only tip about the room is that the only power outlet is in the bathroom, so if you have numerous chargers like myself take a trailer socket. The TV has two uk channels, Sky news and a discovery channel, the TV is free although they ask for a 10euro deposit for the remote which you get back on check out. The safe costs 2 euros a day charge and a 5euro deposit which is returned at check out.
My major niggle with the hotel was the bar hour system which actually affected your all inclusive availability, from 1300-1430 the pool bar closes to allow the barman to assisst the dining room waiters, although you can get a cold drink from the dining room in this period you can not get a hot drink, the same happens at 1830 when the pool bar shuts for the night, this gives a half hour period with no drinks available.
The entertainment consists of a keyboard player on Tuesday and Saturday night, not my cup of tea, yet this lack of tribute bands and daft games meant people actually got to speak to other people and a great many new freindships came about. Same during the day, nobody bugging you to play games etc, if thats what you like then don't stay here, if you want a quiet relaxing time then do.
As for the staff, all i can say is i had no problems at all and found my dealings with them helpful and pleasant, from what i saw was they treated you the same you treated them, if you went on the attack they were ready to stand up for themselves!
I did not use the sauna or jacuzzi but i believe there is a charge for both and they are not very hot, the mini golf and table tennis is free the pool table costs 1 euro.
The swimming pool is deep at one end not so bad the other, is not heated and there is no life gaurd so poor swimmers and families should take that in mind if using.
Alot of people complained about the steps going down into the town to be honest i can't see how this is the fault of the hotel, infact there are a few hotels up the same hill, if you don't like or cannot walk far then do your homework first about the hotel location instead of whinging about it on here, yes in the old days there was an old bus, there is not anymore so get over it! a taxi into town costs a little over 5 euros, a taxi back is only 3 euros, this is due to the road layouts.
There is a park right next to the hotel, a couple of cafe's in the vicinity, there is a little shop near the park, the little old lady sells just about everything including uk papers so well worth finding it to save you having to go into town! Just ask anyone who has been there a while they will give you directions.
So the nitty gritty would i stay there again, well depends, on my own or with my wife then yes, if i was going away with my son then no.
I found it very relaxing and made some great new friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park for amazing views and a sunny balcony.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank JohnWTooth1
Trebic, Czech Republic
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I have just returned from the hotel.... and I do not think that it is as bad as written in some comments. One must remember that it is a 3-star hotel... food was good, really no digestive problems... the truth is that the hotel needs some reconstruction... I would say that it is a good value for money paid....

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank 414alice_
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Staff morose. Food rubbish. Loads of other guests had stomach problems, diarrhoea, sickness etc. Hardly any activities. Access to and from the hotel difficult as it is located at the top of a hill and has over 200 steps down to the village.
PLEASE DON'T GO THERE IT'S A TERRIBLE HOTEL

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Rob W

Travellers are raving about these Puerto de la Cruz hotels

ABERDEEN
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Just back from a week of hell!! Once I had checked in I went to my room and the stench hit me the minute I opened the door, it was obvious somebody had been sick in the room prior to me and it hadn't been cleaned properly. I returned to reception to explain and she handed me a 2nd key on the floor above, unfortunately there was somebody already in it!! On the 3rd attempt I was then put to the 9th floor, very basic single bed up against a wall with moth eaten carpets - still an improvement on the 1st!!

The standard of the food was unacceptable and I have no doubt if environmental health were involved they'd be closed down. Guests were continually suffering with sickness/stomach bugs and on one occasion carted away in an ambulance!!

The 'All Inclusive' deal is anything but!! I had requested use of the Jacuzzi and was told I would have to pay 4.50euro (despite being all inclusive) the receptionist DEMANDED I return the key in one hour!! Under that threat' I made my way to the Jacuzzi only to discover it was COLD!! and it would take more than ONE hour to warm up.

The staff are clearly very unhappy, this was obvious with the disrespect and contempt they showed towards guests in the hovel'.

I have every intention of taking this matter further, legally if I have to and would strongly recommend anybody who has already booked to change now!!

So, Mr Edgar M (Director General) please don't waste your time trying to defend your establishment, far rather you channelled your energies into resolving the issues!!! And perhaps a hotel management course would be a starter for 10!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
9 Thank HEATHER M
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Bar staff are rude and ignorant. Food is not marked and no choice do not go all inclusive as this hotel cannot provide a normal all inclusive service. Entertainment is appalling and I mean appalling. It's not worth going here even if you get it for 20 pounds. Seriously stay away I have travelled the world and have never had to write a bad review. I complained to travel Republic and they forwarded on the complaint the hotel management have lied about everything we experienced.

• Stayed February 2014
8 Thank blewitt73
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is appauling. We are trying to move. We paid all inclusive and it very defo is not. You cannot get coffee or soft drinks for large portions of the day. The meal Times are awful. The food is stale and there is no real choices. The meat is usually umdercooked thats when there is any. There are NO snacks Mid day or anytime. Small children have to wait too long to be fed. We bought crisps at almost 3 euros for two small packets. Some of the staff are sooo rude to us its unbelievable. They do not deserve any stars. We have been in better hostels!!' As for disabled facilities there arent any

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Rachel R
Edgar M, Director General at Miramar Hotel Tenerife Island, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear guest,

Regrettably we are so sorry for your bad stay with us. About your opinion I have to say that the ALL INCLUSIVE program dont have snacks during the day out of meal times, and this information is clearly in whatever agency or website.

Thanks in advance and best regards!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto de la Cruz
Hotel Perla Tenerife
#57 of 80 in Puerto de la Cruz
Alborada Beach Club
Alborada Beach Club
#2 of 2 in Las Galletas

Been to Miramar Hotel Tenerife Island? Share your experiences!