“The Truth.”

Miramar Hotel Tenerife Island
Ranked #79 of 82 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We are a party of 5 adults; we stayed at the Hotel Miramar between 30/06/2014 and the 05/07/2014 for our son’s 21st Birthday. The Hotel is an absolute disgrace, we are not hard to please and I have never in my life stayed in a Hotel as bad as this. I might also add I have never put anything on trip advisor or any other agency ever. HOWEVER I feel I have a responsibility to the party of people I went with, along with that of fellow travelers to make sure they fully understand the extent of how appalling this hotel really is.
The hotel is very dated, NOT a problem you can live with that.
Cleaners were exceptionally pleasant; however we found 2 pairs of DIRTY KNICKERS left in the draws. Not a pleasant site.
The DIY man and gardener very pleasant always smiled and said Hola!
The 2 ladies on reception were pleasant, friendly and very helpful.
The views were lovely, as were the grounds and gardens.
All Inclusive what you really get for your money:-
Breakfast is the BEST MEAL of the day so fill yourself and the kids up then. Most of our party are vegetarians, BUT not all of us. SO you were majorly limited to what you could eat. I won’t bore you with all the details but at one evening meal all we could eat was chips, and the veggie option to go with them was boiled pumpkin. Another was chips, and peas & sweet corn. No flavor nothing. When I explained we were having difficulty eating to the reception she made a note of it so there would be something for the following day. This was PIZZA. Excellent until you looked more closely it was PIZZA with HAM. Some of the other dishes for none veggie’s included dogfish, pickled flesh, turkey in plum sauce just to mention a few. Meat eaters not impressed!
The phone didn’t work.
No shop.
No snack bar, and when the dining room was open at lunch time the pool bar closed. Due to the waiter going up to serve in dining room. So you have to go to the dining room to get a drink.(between 1pm and 2-30pm.) Then between 2-30pm and 7pm you CAN NOT get anything to eat so be warned. There are only drinks. NOT GOOD FOR KIDS. NO SNACKS AT ALL.
No cocktails at the pool bar or fresh juice as the barman said the machine was broken.
No tea/ coffee at either lunch time or evening meal as the machines were switched off.
The barman/ waiter tall thin guy is very rude, unfriendly and slams drinks down all the time. NO MATTER how friendly, polite or courteous you are. Even when you say you’re please and thank you’s in Spanish. That is unless you are Spanish, then it looks like they get the red carpet treatment.
No luggage storage, they said they couldn’t find the key.
Kids only get ice-cream during the opening times of dining room.
The lights in our bedroom and bathroom would flicker all night after being switch off.
There’s NO KIDS POOL, and the pool starts at 1.2 meters going to 3.0 meters. NO LIFE GUARD.
The beds are a disgrace, stained and squeaking. See my photos. YAK! The bedding smells of bleach never had a good night’s sleep while we were there.
No mini bus. There are 242 steps to get down to the town. They are in beautiful gardens with lovely waterfalls. For us this was not a problem but very difficult for anyone with walking difficulties or pushchairs.
After the all-inclusive bar finishes at 11pm. THAT’S IT BED TIME. There’s no way you can even buy a drink with real money. You just get told closed time to leave. I even had a chew on to buy a bottle of water at 11pm as it was needed by the doctor who came to treat my son. Not good at all.
Avoid at all costs. If you were staying here at the beginning of July please please write your reviews like you said you would. There were loads of you, never experienced going to a hotel where the majority of guests were miserable while on the premises. BUT all had smiles away from it.

Room Tip: Higher the room the better the view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank jackie212014

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Returned yesterday after a 5 night stay here.I knew the hotel was on a hill..there are 240 steps down to the town.That was fine.Bit of exercise and a beautiful town at the end full of gift shops,bars and restaurants.Good age range,not clubbers.a harbour.black volanic rock alcove beach.the hotel on the other hand. nice enough when you walk in, but man on reception hardly spoke english.didn't smile and wasn't welcoming.told me there wasn't anywhere to leave my luggage on the last day..but i later i found there was.3 euros a day for a fridge.the room was clean but tired..which would be fine.but it only had one plug in the lounge and one in the bathroom.therefore i had in an adapter for the tv (with 2 english channels..sky news and Max) and a fridge, a space for one other thing.wobbly connection.food was awful and very little choice.board outside says 8 euros for buffet..not worth it.ate in town 4 times.waiters and bar staff also miserable.i fell on marble floor in reception and eventually man on reception came to me, but no medical attention or put in accident book. town great..chose other accomodation

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lisa r
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my girlfriend from 01st to 8th of July. it seemed be be split in 2 halves because of the way it was built into the hill side, with floors 1 to 5 on the right and 5 to 8 on the left and it could be two different hotels.

For what we payed our expectations were already generous as this was a last minute very cheap deal with minimum research, however the first room we were given (417) was pretty bad. It was in desperate need of refurbishment. There was a hospital style window on the left wall and a small balcony on which the light didn't work and the bathroom was fitted in the 1970's by the look of it, with a lot of chips and dents and limescale. To top it off there were some typically british holiday makers in the room above us who were so loud we thought they were in the room with us. I could here one lady explaining that her ex was trying to take her kids from her (who were running Mac 10 across the room). We tried to turn the lights off to go to sleep but couldn't manage it with the noise so I went to reception and asked to be moved after I explained my concerns. Reception rang these people to ask them to be quiet and they promptly claimed they were making no noise and it was just someone else's children in the corridor playing, which was a lie and the noise persisted so they obviously didn't care. Who are these people!! We were thankfully moved to 808 which could have been a different hotel and seemed a hundred miles from our previous Jeremy Kyle neighbours. It was a lovely room, nice balcony with a fantastic view of Puerto and it was really nice and quiet.

As for food, I would be cautious for the bad rap it's getting from people, for the price it's fairly decent and as it's a Spanish Island it should be expected that there is a more Spanish theme to it... It's arrogant to assume a hotel in Spain should cater to the needs of just British when you have to consider there were German, Spanish and Russian holiday makers there as well. Breakfast usually would be either sausage or bacon (Spanish style) eggs of varying types and so on and was fine. There was cereal and some pastries, and you could get juice, water, coffee and tea etc. lunch was things like Spanish omelette, burgers, chips and so on. I ate the evening meal only once which was goulash and was reasonable for what we payed.

I was stood behind a British family at reception who were complaining at the lack of a daily English breakfast, saying that the sausage and bacon were not in a British enough style and they were also complaining about not enough entertainment for children. These people embarrassed me, if you want purely British food, then stay at home in Britain, also there's no need to talk to the staff as though you're trying to articulate yourself to a cave man with hand gestures that make you look like you're trying to summon the rain.

For a couple on a budget, being able to have a nice base for us to explore Puerto, and to spend a couple of mornings/afternoons by the pool in the sun reading a book with a beer in my hand, I really think this is a good choice. I have fond memories of relaxing by the pool, or on our balcony with our beautiful view and once the staff moved us to our new room we really had no complaints for the rest of the week and had a lovely time. We found the staff to be really nice too so maybe that's just a 2 way street...

One tip to the staff, you should designate a smoking area at the garden behind reception, because the sight when we arrived of a load of drunk people smoking on the steps was pretty depressing..

Thanks to all the staff at Mirimar for a great week!

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank David42RM
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I've read a lot of these reviews and everyone is being very picky, it's a 3 star hotel at a good price. If you want something spectacular then PAY FOR IT. I went with my boyfriend, best friend and her boyfriend at the end of June/beginning of July. Yes I was a little disappointed at first but then I remembered that I hadn't paid a hell of a lot. The decor is a little aged but it brings character. The staff are all helpful, yes one looks a little grumpy but probably because of how rude some people are! The room was simple, but it was a place to rest my head at night and it was cleaned every day. The food wasn't a gourmet three course meal like some people seem to expect but I'm an extremely fussy eater and there was ALWAYS something for me to eat at breakfast, lunch and dinner. The pool is nice, yes it's cold but it's refreshing when it's warm. There was always a sunbed free even on the days it got busy. I don't understand how people can complain about the alcoholic measures, you aren't in England anymore and the measures abroad tend to be a lot more, if you don't like it don't drink it. Yes, there is the many steps down to the town but they go past beautiful waterfalls and there are benches everywhere. The walk is worth it, but would suggest a taxi back up at €3.45. For the price I paid, I would definitely return.

Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Sophie J
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is owned by a chain called Elegance, DO NOT STAY IN ANY OF THESE, disgraceful everything, we stayed in Palmeras Playa before this one, Palmeras Playa was bad, this was worse!!! Food, drinks, pool unsuitable for children, rude staff.

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Simon O
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I was in my vacation trip, best choice i ever did!!! I felt like a king. Great service, the food was exelent. The best atraction was the dance activities, i learn a lot. Rooms are very clean. The pool was great!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank Andr_s_N_13
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel, beautiful view, love the food and a good entertainment. The room are great, they have a good room service, and a great customer service. I recommend the hotel you will love it!!! ............................................

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo