“Never Again”
Review of Hotel Marte

Hotel Marte
Ranked #43 of 82 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Reading some of the other reviews i wonder if its just me but then again we've just done a 18 night/7 different hotel trek round Extremedura in Spain and i've given every hotel very good to glowing reviews so i'm not a glum chum all the time! I'm coming to the conclusion though that half of the places (we usually use booking.com) don't bother reading any of the "Special Requests" and as ours was for a Double Bed i don't think it can be classed as anything out of the ordinary?! Was given a dark and drab twin bedded room (couldn't be pushed together due to large grotty wooden thing separating them). Complained and the bloke said they had no knowledge of my request. He got the sheet out and there it was in BIG BOLD letters. He said they'd move us next morning. Sure enough different bloke on reception had no knowledge of us supposedly being moved and said there weren't any doubles left. We paid for the one night and moved to the EXCELLENT Hotel Monpole round the corner. A little bit more expensive but definately worth it.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BarnsleyMicky

Reviewed 3 May 2013

Earlier this year, I spent eleven days in Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife. My bed and breakfast was at the Hotel Marte.
Exceptionally well located hotel had the best price/quality ratio. It's a 3-star hotel right in the heart of the city center. What was even better to me personally; it's in between black sand beach, Playa Jardin, and the main square, Plaza Charco. Local bus station is just around the corner, but buses didn't disturb at all. Just a plus for some half-day trips around the island. Went to Santa Cruz de Tenerife and La Orotava by public transportation and took the airport buses.
Hotel Marte was an excellent choice for reasonable priced accommodation including buffet breakfast. I just love the Spanish coffee, cafe con leche for me. Food was good too, invited my parents to join me for breakfast. The house was clean with modern decoration and my room had all the facilities in order. Staff at the Marte was very friendly and helpful, spoke both English and German. On top of the hotel is a swimming pool and the roof offers plenty of space for example for nice sunsets.
Next time I visit Puerto de la Cruz, I'm going to stay at the Hotel Marte again.

Room Tip: Single rooms are for non-smokers.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Stayed at the Hotel Marte B & B for a week in April with a friend. Great position, close to the bus station,the Plaza de Charco, seafront and all the restaurants.
We were able to transfer to a room with balcony without any problems when we realised we had been allocated a room without ! Staff were more than willing to help with any enquiries that we had. Rooms and public areas were very clean. Breakfasts were fine with a good choice of food and drinks.( I recommend the cafe latte in the drinks machine...delicious )
Overall it was a very pleasant stay and would certainly return....

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank lovetoholiday303
Reviewed 12 April 2013

We stayed in Hotel Marte last easter. Hotel was basic, but clean and silent.Breakfast, was also very standard and almost same every day. The best thing in this hotel is location center of the town. Our room was ok, there were no aircondition, so if the weather is hot, room is hot too... When we were there, it was about 24-27 temperature, so we did ok. I think this hotel is ok value for the money.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Stayed here for a week in March and had to change my room 3 times due to noise. In the first room the window opened on to a central shaft space running the height of the building. I was woken at 6:30am by some lady shouting in the kitchen which carried on until 9:30. I asked to move and was promptly given a choice of rooms with windows out on to the streets. In the second room I chose the intrusion of noise from the street turned out to be a nightmare with people shouting at each from bars and clubs until beyond 4am, Plus cars (with music) and motorbikes, it was unbearable. I asked to move again and this time got another room at the top of the building again facing the central shaft. This time some idiots decided to have a party at 3:30am on the roof jumping in the swimming pool and screaming.
There is no double glazing in the building which would go a long way to helping with this issue.
The breakfast was very poor.
The staff however were friendly, helpful and immediately attended to any requests.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 February 2013

First of all the good bits. We stayed here for about £400 half board in Jan/Feb 2013, the hotel including flights meant that this was a budget price hotel so I am not going to moan about every stain on the carpet or the lack of air conditioning. You really do get what you pay for. The rooms are standard and we didn't mind being on to the main road even though it is a bit noisy, so if you want peace ask for a back room. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful and this is the hotel's strongest point, they allowed us to change to any other room we wanted when it was quiet and they also allowed a friend to change room to be near us. It is right next to the bus station, so easy travel to most destinations on the island from this central situation.
The only real drawback is the food. In all my travels I really haven't experienced anything quite like it although a friend said that it was like the food they had in Gambia twenty years ago. it really is bad quality and best to be avoided. You can find really cheap restaurants anywhere with much better quality than this.
We went half board but I would avoid it if I were you. We stayed for 14 nights and only ate there about four times at night and that was through necessity. Breakfast is ok enough, plenty of bread etc. It is such a shame that the hotel are not following up on the complaints about the food. Many people complained when we were there and it is clear from Trip Advisor that many have also experienced the same thing. After saying that I would return to this hotel but not eat there.

Room Tip: The main street is noisy, ask for a back room if you want peace and quiet
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank th0mgall
Reviewed 2 February 2013

We stayed in Hotel Marte one week. When we booked, didn't expect too much, because the price was so low. As we arrived, the surprice was nice: hotel lounge, bar and restaurant were really neat and well kept, extremely clean everywhere.
Bar/lounge area was large, with nice comfortable furniture, free wi-fi was available.
Personnel was happy friendly people, making us feel welcome. Breakfast was fine, plenty of choice to enjoy and specially loved the fresh fruits. The restaurant staff (at breakfast & dinner) were so hardworking people, we were admiring their work morals, specially those couple of young men that were really doing the amount of work that usually a bunch of workers do,
-the hotel management are lucky they have found such treasures!
Also the people doing the cleaning were doing amazing job: we were totally content with our room cleaning and the whole hotel was perfectly clean, didn't see any dirt there the whole week.
Really well situated, bus station only 100 meters away, so good connections to other parts of the island. Lovely beach as near as couple of minutes walk away.
We highly recommend this hotel, perfect value for money.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple