“Disappointed”

Ranked #38 of 80 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
CheshireBoy
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

In general we enjoyed our stay, but have to say the food was not good we wished we gone for self catering. Poor choice of food and cold soup!! The evening entertainment was average and never varied during our stay. The Shower was a waste of time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HillbillyCheshireBoy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Billund, Denmark
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We were staying at the Hotel Noelia Playa in March this year. We liked the hotel. The staff were nice and competent and the rooms to the good standard. We really enjoyed live music in the evenings in the hotels' caffeteria. Hotels restaurant provided excellent food, with lots of choice both for breakfast and dinner. The only minus we have noticed was the cleaning. The cleaning ladies were too fast and not so careful. But in general good hotel with close distance to the wonderful Loro Parque.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Hanna K
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Booking last minute through a local agency in Tenerife I stayed at Noelia Playa during last weekend in September to enjoy Festival Periplo at Puerto de La Cruz and great 34ºC weather.
I paid 56€ per night for 2 adults and 6 years old daughter on half board basis.
Room was spotless but just used it to sleep and have showers.
As we were advised at the check in , improvements were currently taking place,but I can't complain about that as we were not bothered for any reason during our stay.
Food was great as always. Homemade local dishes between international ones, plenty to choose as usual and great quality. They have also show cooking station what wasn't at Noelia last time we booked.
Crayons were given as an unexpected courtesy to my daughter by Ylenia and Ana was so kind of offering me a lovely " real expresso" in the mornings.
I

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Arantxa_Ros
Glasgow
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Booked this accommodation for ten days had to suffer for six before we could escape. This hotel should never be offered to any English speaking person or anyone who is looking for decent food as this hotel has none of them. This hotel was solely planned out for Spanish speaking people no member of staff can speak our language. Food was inedible and continuously mixed with other foods to make up new concoctions for later meals (what you didn't eat in breakfast you found at lunch made with something else with lunch and the same with dinner) we had minestrone soup one day and it had eggs from the breakfast floating in it, Disgusting bad idea we were full board. Nothing was catered for British people all Spanish orientated. The snack menu which had a full hot and cold menu got our hopes up but on asking for a hamburger they replied no only a Cheese or salami sandwich was available at all times. No Tea was served after 10pm which was outrageous, we asked for soft drinks and they where bringing out alcohol the prices would double every night for entertainment when the hotel then would fill with the local pensioners (I'm not joking) and the prices didn't stay the stay the same even when the rotten so called Spanish entertainer was not on. When this entertainer (if you can call him that) was on during the week he played to an empty room with just the receptionist listening to him - number one fan poor thing.
Wish I had read the comments from trip advisor and never listened to the travel agents cause apparently it was out of seasons for Brits - This destroyed the start of the holiday. Never go here!!!! I agree with all the bad comments on this hotel -Worst holiday I've taken

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank BiffGlasgow

Travellers are raving about these Puerto de la Cruz hotels

Aveiro, Portugal
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I bought the Tenerife trip in a promo from a local online travel agency. I had only a couple hours to buy it, so I didn't had enough time to check the reviews of this Aparthotel.
As soon as I bought it, i started checking for reviews and comments on previews experiences.
I have to say that I started to feel a little bit scared. Too many bad reviews pointing bad issues of the hotel. My only though was: "what a waste of money". I arrived at tenerife and a family came to me and started making conversation at the airport, asking me if this was my first time there (it was) and if i was going to stay at the north or south and the name of the hotel. I told them that i was going to stay at the north and in Aparthotel Noelia Play. They told me that the north doesn't have beaches and that the weather is more cold and cloudy than the south. When I said that i was staying in Noelia Playa, they stare at me with a worried face, and said "poor guy. hope you enjoy it. but its not very good". At this point I really though "damn. what a really waste of money. nobody says nice things at this hotel". I was really scared.

So, considering the reviews that I've read, and my experiencie for a whole week, I've decided to report my experience, and once for all give the credit that this hotel deserves.

1 - I've read that people found cucarachas (bugs) in the hotel. Well, If they found it, bad luck for them. I didn't found one, not even heard the bugs. The hotel was extremelly well cleaned. I only found this bugs on the street, near the 5 star hotels!

2 - A lot of complaints about the rooms, saying that the Kitchen was too close of the bed. In fact, its closed to the bed, but it has a door that you can close like a closet. The rooms are bigger than a lot of 5 stars hotels that i've been to. It has a good bathroom, a nice living room with a sofa, a good kitchen with fridge and stove, plates, knifes, etc etc...a excellent balcony for you to relax. And a lot of mirrors...every wall...a mirror. So, extremelly comfortable.

3 - The water of the pool was extremelly cold, they said. Well, i don't know what kind of country this people come from, or what kind of the hotels they are used to. But the water was normal. Not hot, not cold. Normal temperature for a pool. It is located on the top floor, with a great view and plenty of space for you to lay down on the sun with chaise longs.

4 - I've read that the food was horrible. Cold meals, Not so very cooked meals. Once again, I really don't know what is the exigence measure that the reviewers have. But the meals were very good. I had dinner and breakfast included on the trip, and I only had to pay for the drings during dinner. But a beer is 1.50€ and a water 1.65€. I don't think is too expensive. The meals were always well cooked and hot. You have a lot of food to choose, and you can full your plate as many times as you wish. It has a grilled section, with different meat and fish being grilled at the moment every day. So, really 0 complaints about the food. The breakfast is excellent. I loved the pancakes in the morning, being made right in front of you. The only issue that i can point is the coffee, because I'm portuguese and coffee is like air to us. The coffee was simply not portuguese, but come on! I didn't die with their coffee. It was different, of course, but I wouldn't argue because they don't have portuguese coffee. Suck it up and enjoy your ride, and stop complaning about everything. You're on vacation!

5 - The weather is clearly cloudy than the south. But if you want sun all the time, just rent a car and go to the south. Its not very expensive. A car cold cost you maximum 35€ per day, and the gasoline is almost free there, in comparision to the continent. The beaches are good too, but if you like pool, i suggest you stay on the pool. Is more comfortable. The sand is in almost beaches black, but it's not a big deal.

6 - Puerto de la cruz is extremelly beautiful. As I said before, i've rented a car, and in one day I've visited the principal points of the entire island: El Teide (the vulcano), Los Gigantes, Playa de los Cristianos, Playa de Las Americas, Santa cruz, La Laguna, and some great trips throug the mountain.

Overall, excellent hotel, excellent city, excellent vacation. I would recommend this hotel as long as i can. The staff was great, very nice people. It is a hotel with a lot of senior couples, me as a 27 year old guy, i loved it.

The night is also good, with a lot of bars to choose from. But i think most people go out to the bars on the weekend, so don't expect a lot people going out and get drunk. Specially on June, that was the month of my visit.

Congrats to Aparthotel Noelia Playa for this amazing journey. I hope you receive a lot of good reviews because you deserve it.

On final notes, the family that scared me on my arrival, was the one complaining about everything on their 5 star hotel (San Felipe) on the departure. Karma is a *****

Good trips everyone!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank marques85
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 April 2013

nice location. good prices. a market that is open until 22h00. rooms are clean. beaches are 100m. I don't know what more I can say.
(internet functions only at the lobby and there is the "cutest" live music.) For turkish people: bardaki piyanist şantörün lobide yankılanan müziği haricinde çok uygun bir seçim.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank exclea
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Stayed here for three nights recently with breakfast only (not on a holiday break). We chose this hotel due to its central location & also due to the fact that we'd stayed here four years ago. Our apartment was ready for use even though we had arrived to the hotel prior to the official check-in time. A good start! The apartment itself was fine & had air-conditioning, which was a real plus as we were smack bang in the middle of a heatwave. Staff were pleasant throughout the hotel.

In our experience however the hotel is really let down by the food, which has deteriorated since our last visit. The variety of food provided isn't the problem. It's the poor quality. Barely drinkable coffee, fruit past its best, hot/cold meats & cheeses laid out in a careless manner, greasy food and, one morning even a tray of boiled eggs appeared to have half exploded whilst being boiled (I kid you not!). There was just ONE waiter overseeing the breakfast room (doing his very best to keep the tables clear as each group of guests finished breakfast & more arrived) so in making these remarks I'm criticising management rather than the staff. Suffice to say that we were glad our booking was for breakfast only.

I'm not usually one for mentioning alternative accomodation in my reviews. It's just that as we had to extend our stay by one day, we switched due to the poor breakfast to another hotel in the area which was similarly priced. This hotel showed just what was lacking at Noelia Playa - a pleasant breakfast, well presented, with more than one waiter on the breakfast room floor. If anyone wishes to know the name of it, just contact me.

In short, Noelia Playa has a lot going for it but, in my opinion, its business will suffer badly in the future if it fails to rectify the quality of food provided.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank JohnC16
GFHoteles, Manager at GF Noelia, responded to this review, 1 September 2012
Dear JohnC16,

We are really sorry our breakfast selection didn't suit your expectations and we'll work to improve it. Sometimes it's not easy to please everybody's taste, but it's challenging for us to please the most demanding guests.

We are happy to know the accomodation was as you expected and we hope you come again to check improvements.

Kind regards from Noelia Playa Apartments