“Christmas Away 2012!!”

Ranked #73 of 80 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Staffordshire
“Christmas Away 2012!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012

Went for Christmas 2012. Room was massive, clean and staff really friendly. Booked holiday before I read the reviews - and thought omg what have I done. I will never read reviews again. Complex was great!!! There are 3 hotels you can use. You do need to go to the interpalace for lunch but that wasn't a problem but who eats breakfast, big lunch and dinner everyday? The Canarife hotel has an in door pool as well as outdoor. Food was great - variety to choose from. Kiddies club - 10.30-12.30 and then 3.00-5.00.
Weather was great!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Angie B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Salford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

I stayed here for 2 weeks with my boyfriend at the end of September and wasn't expecting anything special from the reviews but we got a good deal so thought we'd just try to make the best of it.
Our first nice surprise was that the room was huge; the decor is a little dated but it was clean and comfortable. The shower was really powerful and a bidet always comes in handy for washing clothes.
The poolside sun beds do get taken up quite early but we tended to go after breakfast and always managed to get 2 and I did see the lifeguard moving peoples towels if they weren't using them a couple of times so the signs are adhered to.
I've been to lots of all inclusive resorts and have always found the food to be of a similar standard so knew what to expect and wasn't disappointed. You have to appreciate that the hotel is having to cater for hundreds of people of all different nationalities and tastes who want food there and then so it isn't always going to be fresh to your table or seasoned perfectly to your liking but thats all inclusive for you. We always found something to eat and thought there was plenty of choice with spices and sauces available.
We thought the all inclusive drinks tent was a great idea. We rarely had to queue and liked to be able to control the strength and mix of the drinks. I'd be very surprised if anyones children managed to get hold of anything as there was always a member of staff keeping an eye out and in my opinion that's the parents responsibility anyway.
We didn't have any problems with the staff, we didn't find them 'rude' as such, just maybe not bending over backwards to please like some hotels do. I think the hotels runs a skeleton staff and they work ver hard and that's probably the reason.The animation team in particular did a great job and worked very hard. Plenty of variety of activities during the day and, yes the evening entertainment was amateur at best but it was entertaining. The few professional acts they had in were brilliant, especially 'desire', the ballroom dance act.
We thought the facilities of the hotel were great; we played tennis, used the gym and the games room, swam etc. I know most people don't go away to 'work out' but it's part of our lifestyle so we liked being able to do it while away.
We also think that people's comments about the proximity of the hotel to the town are unfair. When you book to go away you should have a rough understanding of where you're going before you make the decision, especially if you're elderly or have mobility problems (or in some cases, are lazy). The street that the hotel is on has a few shops, bars and restaurants if you want them and there's a bus run by the hotel and a taxi rank outside the door. Even if there wasn't, the centre of the resort is only a mile (or 15 minute walk) away and the hill really isn't that steep.
All in all, you get what you pay for and we thought the standard that they offer for the money paid was great. I would recommend the Orchid Garden, which is about 5 mins away from the hotel and the Lido Martianez on the seafront - both about 5 euros to get in.

7 Thank Keira08
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

Me and my husband booked this hotel with Lowcost holidays and was told this hotel was a five star hotel, well maybe it was 20 years ago but certainly not now.. We stayed at the Bonanza which is part of three hotels at first abit confusing with you booking in in at the interpalace then being sent to bonanza also a bit confusing regarding the dinning.. didn't take long to sort it out though..The rooms are large with a large balcony, we stayed for a week and only twice had our bed made no clean sheets. and I had to tell reception for the cleaner to change our towels. The entertainment was rubbish the drinks were help yourself and all out of plastic cups which is understandable around the pool area but not when chiiling inside. The food was repetitive. yes you can always find something to eat but when your paying good money you dont just want to find anything. We would defo go back to Puerto de la cruz town but NEVER back to this Hotel I DO NOT usually complain but on this occasion I felt I needed too. and I've never been to Hotel where I've had the need to moan... The resort was nice with lots of bars and shops but much going on maybe that was the time of year we went though. There were more Spanish and Germans then English That didn't bother us tbf It was just the food/drinks/entertainment and cleanliness of the rooms I've never been to an hotel where I've had to tell reception to get the cleaner to clean our room

1 Thank dawnie101
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

Having read many reviews, were got what we were expecting - clean hotel with large rooms although they were only cleaned twice whilst we were there, good variety of food; if you can't find something at every meal, you must be REALLY fussy!, the complex was kept clean and in good repair and you can use the facilities at the other two hotels in the group (Canarife next door and Interpalace over the road). Check in is at the Canarife as the Bonanza has no reception. The staff are a bit hit and miss - some are helpful, others are not. We had a problem with the safe in our room and one of the reception staff made me feel as if I was being a nuisance when I told him about the problem. As other reviewers have mentiond, some of the entertainment is not very good - especially considering they have had all season to perfect it! There is also the usual problem of selfish people leaving towels on sunbeds and then not using them all day. The lifeguards were removing them if someone complained but didn't appear to do it as a matter of course. The hotel was not particularly busy when we stayed but i imagine this would be a real problem in high season. By the time we left, there were lots of German & Russian guests, giving it an "international" atmosphere. Considering we booked last minute and paid very little for the accomodation, I think we certainly got our monies worth and I would say that it's worth giving these hotels a go if you're looking to go to Puerto and don't mind a good walk (or short taxi ride) into the town centre.

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

We booked this hotel not knowing whether it would be any good and we were pleasantly surprised. We got there very late due to issues with the hire car company and the hotel were very welcoming and provided us with a meal. The room was lovely, more like a suite. Pool area very clean and we watched them clean every morning. Food choice was really good and varied. I requested something different which was not on the menu and they couldn't have been more accommodating. The hotel maid cleaned the room everyday. The hotel entertainment was ok but more for kids and very silly grown ups!!
Must do's: Teide and Loro Parque!!!
Superb value for money and a great relaxing week!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the bonanza palace as their are 3 hotels on the resort and everyone we spoke to sa...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Becsboo
yorks
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

Stayed here end Feb for 1 week.Three hotels together which you can share facilities.Clean throughout.The food was good but repetitive.If you are English speaking don't expect to meet new friends as nearly all guests were German speaking.
We had a hire car and found it to be a very good base for touring the island.Ample parking in hotel car park and adjacent streets.We walked down the hill to Puerto centre at night.Found Molly Malones bar to be the best entertainment at this time of year.Only 5 euro (with tip) for taxi back to hotel.Hotel entertainment very bad.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We had a lovely time at this hotel. We got such a bargain I didn't have very high expectations, so I was pleasantly surprised with this place. We were booked into the Interpalace but were given a room in the Bonanza. The room was very large and clean, and had a view of the sea and the mountains. Lovely. The air conditioning worked but was not that effective, this is the only negative about the room. Check in was quick and easy, we didn't get our room cleaned every day but this only happened because we had a lie in and the maid had already done our floor, can't complain about that really.

The location was great too- it isn't a lively area but is very pleasant, it is a bit of a walk into town but some evenings we got a taxi up the hill for around £3. Puerto De La Cruz itself is a lovely little town with a pretty central square and quite a few nice restaurants and bars. The clientele of the hotel and the resort are older people, mainly German and Spanish, with some Brits and Polish people too. We're a couple in our late twenties and this didn't bother us, everyone we spoke to was friendly and polite. Also, there is plenty of free parking on the streets around the hotel.

The facilities in the hotel were very nice, the pools were good and the bar was excellent. There was also an indoor pool and spa with jacuzzi and sauna, but we ran out of time to try them. The hotel entertainment was reflective of the average age of the guests - it was mainly bingo and cheesy music, but you could get drinks to take up to your room if this is a problem!

We didn't eat in every night as it's nice to have some variety, but we were very happy with the food on offer. I should point out, however, that I am vegetarian and this isn't a great place for veggie food - but I don't think anywhere on the island really is, and I expected it. I still found plenty to eat in the evenings, as there was a good choice of salads and pasta, as well as chips and the local wrinkly potatoes, and some nights they had egg and rice dishes. Breakfast was much better, an excellent choice of cooked items (scrambled eggs, beans etc) as well as cheeses, fruit, yoghurts, cereals. The snack bar had cheeses and salad and bread rolls so you could make your own sandwiches. We never tried the lunch as we were always out for the day. My partner, who is a meat eater, was extremely happy with the selection of food. The drinks were even better, the local lager was very good and we had a bottle of red between us each night at dinner.

All in all, it isn't a high-end luxury resort, but our holiday cost £600 for the two of us, including flights, car hire for the week and all inclusive accomodation, so I was extremely happy with what we got for our money. I'd be happy to recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank MimiMagenta
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto de la Cruz
Hotel Puerto de la Cruz
#40 of 80 in Puerto de la Cruz
Apartamentos Turquesa Playa
Apartamentos Turquesa Playa
#6 of 12 in Puerto de la Cruz

Been to Hotasa Puerto Resort Bonanza Palace? Share your experiences!