“Hard to find!”
Review of El Soplao

El Soplao
Ranked #30 of 407 things to do in Cantabria
Reviewed 31 December 2012

The cave is very hard to find, even with GPS we were lost and always looking for signs! If you need directions, send me a message. The scenic drive and nature surrounding the caves is an experience in itself. The cave tour is around 1 hour and you cannot take photos. If you have an extra day in Northern Spain, this is a fun day trip!

Reviewed 5 November 2012

This is so worth the trip! It is hard to find, and the little train is broken (only to go about 50 meters) but once you are inside the caves...its incredible! The guides are great, and really into what they do, answer all questions, are responsive with the group...btw-our tour was in spanish, but very clearly spoken, easy to understand. Once you are in the caves, your mouth will just stand open from the awesome sites! This is the best cave in Europe/the world ( for its size) Australia has a larger cave but not the same crystal formations. If you are daring and lucky, you can take a extended tour (14 and over) of the mines and lower levels. Friday- sunday- we missed out, and sooo wanted to do this tour, but next time. It was still worth it! Very well done, clean, well organized, great display of views and buildings....we give it a 10!

Reviewed 20 September 2012

We visited the caves on September 4th with Spanish friends of ours who planned a 6 day visit of the Basque Country. We took the last tour out that day at 6:00 in the evening. To get to the caves, you drive on these lovely winding mountain roads that take you through some charming villages. The turn off for the caves takes you up through the mountain (about a 3 KM drive) to get to the cave's entrance. When you get to the visitor's center, there's a train (about a 3 minute train ride) that takes you into the depths of the caves. Then, there's about a 500 foot walk to the caves' entrance. Once you enter the caves, the sight is staggeringly beautiful -- stalagtites and stalagmites abound at every turn. You don't know where to look first. In one room, classical musical was playing as we gazed at the delicate shapes of these natural formations. My only regret is that you are absolutely forbidden to take photos. And, the only negative is that the tours are only in Spanish. While I speak some Spanish and was able to understand about 50% of what was said, my husband doesn't speak much at all and didn't understand anything. However, by asking our guide, we found out that she spoke perfect English given that her husband was from GB. So, after each talk/segment given in Spanish, we would walk with her while she repeated the highlights in English of what she explained to the group. While she didn't translate 100% of what she said in Spanish, we got most of it. So, if you go there and you don't speak English, ask the guide if he or she speaks English. Chances are, you'll be in luck.

By the way, I highly recommend that you spend the night in Ruente at the hotel del torre. It's a typical Spanish Cassona (inn) not too far from the caves . . . very charming. The village was only a 20 minute drive from the caves.

3  Thank manhattanmom
Reviewed 12 June 2012

A thoroughly enjoyable experience for me (fluent in Spanish) but not very informative for my partner (non spanish speaker). The caves are at the top of a little mountain road with excellent views. Worth driving up just for them! You enter the cave in a little train which definitely adds to the experience as this was also a mine! The caves are beautiful with not only stalagtites and stalagmites but also eccentric figures which I'm made to believe are not that common.

The guide was very informative and I learnt a lot, however, they have nothing in place to cater for non Spanish speakers. As a matter of fact, there was another British couple there which I ended up translating for.

Beautiful caves, but if you want to know what is going on a I suggest learning the lingo!

1  Thank Meitiner
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Beautiful cave that you can visit without helm, harness etcetera.
First part of the trip is done by a train (out of order during our visit)
I agree with other reviewers that an English audioguide should be provided. Although our guide explained some aspects in English you miss a lot when you don't understand Spanish.

1  Thank GertNetherlands