“Needs updating, but was clean.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Palacio del Mar

Hotel Palacio del Mar
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Santander
“Needs updating, but was clean.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012 via mobile

Hotel desperate for updating... Staff ellusive and indifferent. The restaurant staff spoke no english at all and my sons were served steak so rare it practically had a pulse! Glad we only stayed one night.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

Booked this hotel through Brittany Ferries who we have travelled with many times - we really rate them so were so disappointed with this bizarre OTT hotel. Stayed one night prior to getting ferry back to UK. Palacio ''del Mar'' is actually quite a few blocks back from 'del Mar' with no views of the sea (and no views at all of anything from the basement bars and dining rooms which have no windows and are internal rooms) Whilst Reception and our huge well equipped 80s style bedroom was great (and clean) with lots of space and a big bath and powerful shower, it did remind me of a set out of Footballers wives with plastic fantastic flowers in the bathroom and mirrored fitted wardrobes. The tacky Footballers Wives theme extended to the horrible ballroom/dining room where we ate breakfast - it was just depressing. For an expensive four star hotel, the breakfast was disgusting - very limited choice and a plate of 'sweating' shiny cheeses that had clearly been brought out several days in a row. All the glasses for fruit juice and water were grubby and dusty and the fridges where the fruit and yoghurts were stored were very dirty and could not have been properly cleaned for weeks. The waiter proceeded to strip tables of the their 'table cloths' whilst many guests were still eating (they were by the way throwaway paper covers) revealing the bashed cheap furniture underneath. We would never go back. However we did have a few good belly laughs at the hotel magazines/annuals all over the hotel like 'Hello' life style magazines advertising all the social events that had been held for footballers and matadors at the hotel -it is almost worth staying (room only!) for this....The next morning we were on the ferry back to the UK and the Brittany Ferry Pont Aven restaurant breakfast was excellent - far better quality, immaculate food hygiene and proper buffet restaurant service.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SkyeGhirl

Travellers are raving about these Santander hotels

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

The location is ok, but the hotel needs an urgent renovation.
You can still smell the asbestos kind of furnishings and carpets manufactured with cheap unhealthy materials. The so called 'design' of the hotel is a wild mixture of an african farm, nostalgic memorabila of bullfighters and a bland concrete interior design.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank schwede55
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed here before getting the ferry back to England for 2 nights, we wanted somewhere a bit special for a last few days so chose here...hmm.

I had booked it due to the website saying FREE PARKING. Yes, it is free, if you can get into the TINY, cramped car park at the front of the building. It was so packed people had parked up the grass on the curbs. So, we had to pay 14 euro a night for the underground car park, great.

The room itself was nice, a bit bland looking but pleasant. Had a separate lounge area with TV and double bedroom. The view and 'balcony' were crap. We had a view of the side of another building and the balcony looked like an industrial estate. Not worth the price.

The bar was tacky with dead animals everywhere, not pleasant and the food was........average. I didn't eat any of it, but my boyfriend said it was ok, but overpriced. Plus, you couldn't even eat a salad until 9pm. The cocktails were extremely strong but very nice.
There was a wedding on whilst we were there and it was very loud - the 'terrace' bar was used for this wedding on the Saturday and was not cleaned not did it open again the whole time we were there.

The walls are paper thin, I could hear the couple next to us chatting and laughing late at night and was woken every morning at 7 by a baby crying outside.

definitely not a 4 star hotel. could get better for your money.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2009

Having driven for 700 hundred kms. across Spain we wanted a bath, a hot meal and a comfortable bed before the ferry home. At the Palacio Del Mar we found a comfortable room but a cool reception at best. The room was excellent - very roomy and well equipped. We even had our own jacuzzi.
However when we went for a drink and a meal we were very much out of luck. We knew that as was normal in Spain, the restaurant was not open until 2100 but we booked this hotel because it boasted a coffee shop. I had to go searching for a waiter as the bar was deserted. When I found the waitress she told me that all that was available was a sandwich - this in a 4 star hotel.
We got the overall impression that the staff were doing us a favour and would not recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PickyYorkshire
Madrid
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

Loaction is close to the beach but it is a rundown area. We found both the hotel and Santander a big disappointment. Hotel is next to a funfair which is very tacky as is much of the beach front. Main gripe is the cost which was twice what we paid in other parts of Spain - €270 for a family room, compared to €70-80 per room in Oviedo, Salamanca and even Barcelona. Breakfast was also expensive.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank johnartblue
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2008

I arrived in Santander needing a hotel for one night before catching the ferry back to the UK, and called at the first on my list the Chiqui, sadly they were full (it looked a super place) and directed me to the above, saying it was an excellent hotel.
The situation isn't ideal, being surrounded by main roads on three sides and a school on the other, but the reception staff spoke good English and directed me to a suite overlooking the distant view of the sea.
At first I thought "Wow, this is nice!" but soon problems appeared.
The suite consisted of an entrance hall with a fridge, a large living area with table/chairs and settee, and then there was a bedroom with two single beds pushed together and a marble bathroom with separate loo and bidet. The shower was over the bath .
Within five mins I realised my bare feet were filthy , and after checking the floor saw it hadn't been cleaned with a damp mop just swept roughly. I ended up washing my feet three or four times during my stay.
The door frames on places like the toilet cubicle had dark coloured hairs sticking inthe dirt and there were numerous old stains on the woodwork (yuk)
The wastebin in the bathroom was filthy on the outside and places like the wardrobes clearly hadn't been cleaned in weeks.
I settled down to watch some tv only to find the control had a mind of it's own, sometimes working sometimes not.
I abandoned that idea and went dow to the cafe for some food.
Now I don't know who's idea the decoration was but it's without doubt the vilest I have ever encountered in a hotel.
Real animal heads stuffed on the walls, so you had bison, goats , a life sized elephant and worst of all a cheetah or leopard skin displayed. The overall effect was of a rather creepy animal mortuary!
The salad was fine, the barman helpful, so I walked back through reception to see they had famous matadors' costumes on display, complete with the rather nasty looking barbed spikes they stick in the bulls.. Each to their own I suppose.
By this time I was quite tired so decided to watch some tv on the bedroom set and go to sleep. The channels were all Spanish including a bull fighting channel (surely an International Hotel could have one English channel?) and turned the tv off to go to sleep. On again it came.. I struggled every whichway to turn the thing off but it refused to stay off. Eventually at 11. 30pm I requested reception help and a chap arrived (I got dressed again) and dismantled three drawers before finding the source of the plug in an obscure wardrobe.
I settled down only to hear loud music and "Ouno douay, tres!" shouted by someone to the beat of a live band.
I tried to ignore it, and in fact tried to ensure the windows were closed tightly (faulty on both sides, neither would close as they should) and eventually climbed wearily out of bed, got dressed and went down through some fire doors to find the source of the noise. It turned out to be a really packed bar with salsa lessons in full swing...
I went back to bed and tried to sleep, but the last thing I recall was seeing the clock read 2.52am and it was still jumping downstairs...
I felt really cross they didn't warn me or ask if I wanted a quiet room.
So my overall impression? Don't bother staying. I have emailed the head of the chain but no reply as yet. At 88 euros plus tax a night it isn't worth the money, dirty, noisy and lousy situation.
head for the Chiqui instead, I will next time!

• Liked — spacious suite
  • Disliked — noise and dirty floors
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo