“Lovely long weekend away”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Verna K
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
“So VERY UNHAPPY with this my third visit - Massive let down !!!”
Reviewed 3 May 2015 for a stay in March 2015
people found this review helpful

I absolutely love Hinderwell and this is my third visit to this cottage which I booked directly with the owner who kindly allowed me to also take along my two dogs. Hinderwell and (previously) the cottage are an ideal location for me to work in peace and quiet. I had visited in November 2014, February 2015, and April/May 2015.

Owners are friendly and generally helpful; I had not reviewed previous visits in the hope that by the third visit any constructive criticisms from earlier visits would have been overcome. I also recognise what the owners are trying to achieve with this cottage and the site in general and had discussed and raised several constructively critical points with Manager on both first and second visits (based on background in hotel and leisure sector) that needed attention ASAP for it to come even close to being a luxury property, and also a couple of areas of potential health and safety issues (i.e. precariously hung artwork and the spiral staircase!).

I was looking forward to my third visit in April 2015; on arrival I found property had had some work carried out but very evidently as a "quick fix"; but this time the pillow cases in red bedroom were dirty with lipstick and other stains, bed runner had several piles of bird poo on it (goodness knows who made the bed because the poo was showing ...!!!), bed runner in blue room also dirty with stains (so I washed and dried this myself); 5 out of 6 of the white bath towels were badly stained and duly reported, but no offer of replacement so I took them over to the B&B and asked for replacements and that they also wash the red bed runner and they apologised and obliged willingly on both counts.

When I came to use the oven I couldn't because it was so dirty and I raised this point with the owner too who said he would speak with the cleaning staff! So I either ate salads or cooked my food on the top of the oven for the duration of my stay which should have been for 7 nights and departing on the 8th morning.

In the meantime I had noticed a rat in the small back garden of the cottage and duly informed the owner. He arranged for a pest controller to come in the following day and suggested i take my dogs for a walk whilst they did what had to be done; first night the controller did not show up at all and the second he had a unsuccessful visit as that night the rat visited again. My dogs were going crazy all night until about 4.30 am the following morning as they could hear the rat/s moving under the property. The following day I saw one again in the garden.

Notwithstanding all of this on the 5th day I was informed that there had been a double booking error between the owner and his booking agents and that (despite the fact that mine was the first booking) the new visitors were due in on Sunday at 3 pm, so I was asked to vacate the cottage and move into either a caravan or the B&B (where a room would also be provided for my driver who was due to arrive on the 7th evening ready for departure on the 8th morning.) I expressed my concerns about this as my dogs would have to move with me and they were also moulting very heavily and this would be unfair to both parties.

In the event, and as the rat had also reappeared yet again that night, I decided to cut my holiday short and return home so, with a tremendous amount of inconvenience to others, I arranged to be picked up early and left 2 nights early (without having seen the owner.) I had briefly discussed payment of my bill with the owner and in the event I deducted an amount for the two nights I didn't stay!

This is such a huge let down and massive disappointment, and i sadly have elected not to return in October (which was already booked) as I am not convinced anything will have much changed.

This really attractive cottage (inside and out) has the potential to be a "perfect getaway and holiday base" but in my humble opinion can certainly not be considered or identified as 5 star luxury by any means. The holiday letting agents also need to rework their description of the property as a matter of some urgency as it is very misleading; there is NO large TV or stereo in the lounge, and there is NO TV in the blue bedroom.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Hinderwell village and the delightful residents.
Liked least: Dirty bed linen, stained towels,dirty cooker, rat/s in garden and being asked to vacate early into the B&B because of double booking when I had made the first booking. Having to cut my holiday short and leave early.
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
People with pets
Sarah H
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
“Lovely long weekend away”
Reviewed 22 December 2014 for a stay in December 2014
people found this review helpful

My boyfriend and I came to stay at St Hilda's cottage for a relaxing long weekend to get away from it all. On our arrival Dave was very welcoming and had even left us a little welcome pack of cakes, tea, coffee and milk which was very well received after our 6 hour journey. The location was perfect, tucked away enough to feel private but also close to the local shop and pub, where the portions are enormous and absolutely delicious! Make sure you pay a visit the local sites of Whitby and Robin Hoods Bay for lovely beach walks. It's also worth a trip to the Mallyan Spout waterfall too! - Back at the cottage we loved visiting all of the animals on the farm and thought the goats and peacocks were hilarious! The hot tub was fantastic, we enjoyed sitting in it with a few bottles of bubbles most evenings. The lay out and finish of the cottage is very well thought through and to a good standard. Almost everything that has been moaned about in past reviews and in the guest book has been rectified, so please don't be put off visiting this lovely cottage!

chrissyj5...
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“A massive let down!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 for a stay in May 2014
people found this review helpful

This cottage is classed by Sykes as luxurious & it has 5 ticks. We strongly doubt this rating. The interior is spacious & the decor has been well thought out, but there are things that just don't hit the target. Firstly the huge T.V in the sitting room, as seen on the internet, is just a figment of the owners imagination! I am sure there was a lovely big telly there a few years ago, but now it is a tiny little thing, probably about 22 inch, & if you read the visitors book in the cottage this as been the case for quite a while. The kitchen equipment is lacking, this is a SELF CATERING holiday & therefore certain items should be supplied. NO COLANDER, NO FISH SLICE (we ended up buying one for £1.00), NO LARGER BOWLS/DISHES FOR SALADS ETC, CHEAP CUTLERY, BROKEN CHEESE GRATER, A BOX FOR AN IRON BUT LOOKED INSIDE, & NO IRON, NO BROOM.We have stayed in 4 star properties which have been far better equipped. Up stairs there is a cream carpet. It is badly stained in places especially in the master bedroom where there is a big stain right by the bed. I couldn't understand why the duvet had been put on patterned side down & when I turned it over there was a tear in the cover! No mirror at all in the master bedroom, 3 cheap plastic coat hangers & when we asked for more the owners produced a jumble of hangers for a 2year old!! The smaller bedroom had no T.V even though it states on the web that there is one in each bedroom, this also had been mentioned by previous guests. The bathroom has no socket for electric razors, & if you are short (as I am) good luck with the sink! But it is the outside which is the biggest let down. The front is scruffy , with overgrown shrubs a border of weeds, an old built in BBQ, all in all not a good first impression. The hot tub is in the back courtyard, & this area needs a lot to be done to it to make it look attractive, the cover over the hot tub is ripped, & as it is not hinged it is very heavy & awkward to get on & off. The rockery is full of weeds, there are shrubs & some bamboo but it all looks dull & depressing. There are fairy lights strung around, none of these work & the wires are just left along with the disconnected canopy which just looks awful. The decking is very grubby & needs a good power wash & it is also very slippery when wet, so please be careful! Sorry about this folks but we would not recommend this place to friends & family & if you have booked this for later in the season we really hope the owners has done some maintenance by the time of your visit. We could say a lot more but think that is enough for now!!

Liked best: The large room
Liked least: The untidy exterior in the front & back of the property
Kevin1811
Rossendale, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Cottage & Location”
Reviewed 14 April 2014 for a stay in March 2014

Stayed with my wife and two year old son and our dog recently. Cottage was great and the owners lovely. Fresh eggs every day and lovely for our son to be able to see the animals each day. Location was fantastic the beach at Runswick Bay a mile away and some great day trips out to Whitby, Scarborough and Pickering. The hot tub was an added bonus!

Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
phil h
felixstowe
“Nearly.....but not quite...”
Reviewed 7 March 2014 for a stay in March 2014

Just stayed at st.hilda cottage....on arrival we were a little bit disappointed,as small points let this holiday stay down,nothing major wrong with the place,and the owners are very nice,Dave and Linda .but a few things need adding or taking away for this to be a five star accomadation .....flowers around the front and in the rear to give a nice view from the hot tub....blinds on the skylights in the bedrooms,tables next to beds on both sides,don't get me wrong,the place is decorated and equipped to a high standard,the farm has more animals than any farm I've ever seen,and great local walks,the town has a great pub called the badger hounds,a chippy,butchers,and a shop....staithes,runswick bay and Whitby all worth a visit.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location and hot tub
Liked least: Outside decor
Recommended for:
Families with young children People with pets
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Ann F
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Excellent from start to finish”
Reviewed 12 January 2014 for a stay in January 2014

Friendly genuine welcome feels like you are visiting a friend or family member relaxed environment. Excellent breakfast well presented in a lovely dinning room no disappointments with this accommodation can't wait to return .

Bedding & mattresses Bathroom cleanliness
Liked best: Friendly
Liked least: Having to leave
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Eastleigh
Reviewed 12 December 2013 for a stay in September 2013

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway Older travelers
Luxury-minded travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing